I can't help but wonder what Tony Dorsett would've been like in today's game

pitt33

Reaction score
In my opinion, Tony Dorsett was the best RB the Cowboys ever had. No disrespect to Emmitt Smith because he was great and is the All Time rushing leader, but Tony Dorsett was faster, quicker, just as elusive and a game changer every time he touched the football. Tony Dorsett is the only player to run for and catch separately two 99 yard TDs plays in NFL history.
Not to nitpick here but it was actually a 98 yard catch and run from Staubach.

Tony Dorsett was my sports hero.

pitt33

Reaction score
Speed and acceleration like his was not seen before or since.

Never forgot going to a training camp blue white scrimmage at Thousand Oaks. It was college bleacher stands, so you are close to to field. When Dorsett saw the hole and accelerated through the hole everything else look like it was still or slow motion and he was there and then he was there, the whole stand gasped for air with surprise. Back home you would think it was the Television cameras. But, it was pure Dorsett acceleration and speed. Seeing it up close was that shocking to everyone.

In a spread formation, in space, it would be unfair to the defense. Many players have run a 4.3 40yard dash. But only Dorsett could get to 4.3 in a heart beat and could run 4.3 in an out of cuts.

Photographers use to notice taking pictures of Dorsett that they could never catch him with his feet on the ground while running. Most photos of Dorsett would be as he was running on air no feet on the ground.
Great description. He took your breath away. Joe Paterno said that about him when he was at Pitt.

And he would still be the fastest RB in the league today.

roarr

Reaction score
I wonder the same about Roger... Dude reminds me of Larry Bird. Just does it all in a way that makes a little lesser athleticism NBD

roarr

Reaction score
Dorsett was great for his time, but this thread is a perfect example of people overrating players from the past. Dorsett was small, he would've been a part time player in today's league at his size
Dorsett is 5'11 192... with today's training, he's easily 200 lbs, which is prototypical RB size today.

Brax

Reaction score
Dorsett was great for his time, but this thread is a perfect example of people overrating players from the past. Dorsett was small, he would've been a part time player in today's league at his size
Like Jim Brown couldn’t play in today’s game, wrong, TD was considered small back then, and would have no problem in today’s game. Most of the NFL stars past would fit in with no problems in today’s NFL, it wasn’t a pansy game back then.

offlimits

Reaction score
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
TD was so much fun to watch. Once in the secondary, he could scoot. In the blink of an eye, he could go 70 and would not be touched. He got to 5th gear so quickly and could turn on a dime. Another attribute was the fact, for a small guy, he was extremely durable. I can't think of anyone recently that compares to him.

offlimits

Reaction score
I like the optimism, but the reality was Dorsett probably would have barely gained another 1000 yards or so had he received the best ACL reconstruction possible by today's standards. He was 35 years old when he tore up his knee in training camp of the 1989 season. Sit out that season and come back as a part-time player for a couple of more seasons at most.
He was traded to Denver when he tore his ACL in training camp. Never had a serious injury while with Dallas.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
He's likely be toast. Way too small by today's standards. for reference, Pollard, who we all have doubts about being an every down back, is 17 pounds larger.

Dude would get crushed.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Like Jim Brown couldn’t play in today’s game, wrong, TD was considered small back then, and would have no problem in today’s game. Most of the NFL stars past would fit in with no problems in today’s NFL, it wasn’t a pansy game back then.
Jim brown is 6'2" 230 lbs, not considered small for a RB in any era.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Tony Dorsett was the man who could make yards on any given play from anywhere on the field even if the defense were aligned to stop him. Hands down my fav rb in Cowboys history.​

charmed-heated.gif

RoboQB

Reaction score
Tony Pollard

Dorsett tougher and can handle more. But similar backs in what they can do.
Pollard, on his best day, will never be better than TD!
(Okay, blood pressure dropping now... lol/jk)

I totally get the comparison. It's weird to say, but Pollard is actually bigger than Dorsett was.
Every position is getter bigger except QB...weird.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Didn’t Matt Millen call Dorsett the slowest walking fast man he had ever met?