I can't help but wonder what Tony Dorsett would've been like in today's game

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett: 5'11", 192 lbs
Emmitt Smith: 5'9", 216 lbs
Walter Payton: 5'10", 200 lbs
Barry Sanders: 5'8", 200 lbs

Compared to some of the NFL All Time best rushing leaders, Tony Dorsett definitely was not small.

Tony Pollard: 6'0", 209 lbs

Tony Pollard is about the same size, and he just rushed for 1k+ yards as a part timer as you mentioned. Even if used as a part timer, Tony Dorsett easily could have rushed for 1k+ yards every season in today's NFL and not have to be worn down like Zeke was. I would take Tony Dorsett today over any current part time RB and most full timers.
The only thing Pollard and Dorsett have in common right now is their first name. I hope Pollard does great things for us but to compare them right now is kind of silly. Talk about a great player we don’t talk much about on this board - Dorsett was amazing and we kind of forget about him.

Brax

Reaction score
Jim brown is 6'2" 230 lbs, not considered small for a RB in any era.
I was commenting on your take of players past. JB playing in any era is my point just like most other top players.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I was commenting on your take of players past. JB playing in any era is my point just like most other top players.
Jim brown had the size to play in any era, most players back then are undersized compared to todays players

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll still never forget that Monday Night game when Tony D ran 99 yards from scrimmage for a TD!! It was awesome!!

Thanks for that.
I was at the Reubens restaurant in Orange CA on my 4th or 5th black Russian when it happened.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Many said, that Dorsett would have had many more yards if Landry would have ran him more. But Landry didn't think he could hold up with a bigger work load.
they were really deep at running back dorsetts first several seasons so it was just as well. Still I think he was 2nd all time leading nfl rusher at the time of retirement

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tony Dorsett is still my favorite Cowboy, with Staubach being a close second.

Scotman

Reaction score
I love TD. Seriously. I grew watching him help make the Cowboys the only team that mattered. I would take him on any team, in any era. But, if I could cherry pick a player from history in their prime to come in an play for the Cowboys today, I think I'd go with Bo Jackson.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
The best runner I’ve ever seen. Had a gear when there was an opening that was unmatched.

Dangerous with the Landry screen game as well

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pollard, on his best day, will never be better than TD!
(Okay, blood pressure dropping now... lol/jk)

I totally get the comparison. It's weird to say, but Pollard is actually bigger than Dorsett was.
Every position is getter bigger except QB...weird.
You guys don’t read so well.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
NO ONE..

I watched Tony D. destroy defenses from the I-Formation for many years back in the day.. He had speed and quickness combined with shiftiness and escape ability. If Bullet Bob Hayes and Barry Sanders had a baby it would be Tony D. **Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Hall of Famer** enough said..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
NO ONE..

I watched Tony D. destroy defenses from the I-Formation for many years back in the day.. He had speed and quickness combined with shiftiness and escape ability. If Bullet Bob Hayes and Barry Sanders had a baby it would be Tony D. **Heisman Trophy winner and NFL Hall of Famer** enough said..
He also had a great line, great offense great defense great coaching.

khiladi

Reaction score
He would be CMC on steroids. Dorsett was one of if not the greatest game breakers of all time.
He’d also have access to the modern PEDs in todays game. Players have “evolved”, through drugs though. Evolution doesn’t even happen rapidly,

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I have been watching lots of videos as well as full games from my uncles collection of 70's 80's cowboys.
I can't help but wonder what Dorsett would of been like in today's game, I honestly believe he would be even better in today's open game. This guy was shifty and smooth!!!! Hits top speed in a instant!!
I also never knew how tough of a runner he was!! Amazing back. Those who saw his career first hand... who would you compare him to today?
Smooth runner. I do remember a couple of crucial fumbles he made - one in an NFCCG, think it was the Eagles. Man, could he motor !

joseephuss

Reaction score
He was traded to Denver when he tore his ACL in training camp. Never had a serious injury while with Dallas.
I'm well aware of Dorsett's durability while in Dallas. I watched his entire career. He was traded to Denver in 1988 and produced just over 700 yards for the Broncos that season. He then tore his knee up in training camp in 1989 with Denver and his career was over. Even if surgery perfectly rebuilt his knee at that time, he had little left after his long, wonderful career. One of the true greats.

Brax

Reaction score
Jim brown had the size to play in any era, most players back then are undersized compared to todays players
They would have the same benefits of today’s players you forget back then it was a 5 to 6 month job. 300 pound lineman are that way for a reason and for most it’s not natural .