I can't make excuses for this team anymore

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's been a disastrous draft. We'll feel this one for a long time.

I really thought that after 2014, even after not re-signing Murray, that this organization was in great shape. That didn't mean I thought we would have a successful 2014, but we were starting to build a team that could not kill themselves with the cap and continue to re-load the roster.

It's amazing between the bad luck and the bad decisions how that all has changed in just a year. And whoever is heading up their analytics team is either wholly incompetent or just ignored completely.

YR

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I just witnessed literal panicking and biggest reach in the history of the draft.

Any hope that things would change once Jerry hands over control was just demolished.

Don't you think Marinelli and Will Clay have to be signing off on these decisions,too?

They more so than Jerrah have to have all the medical reports and scouting info to recommend what is best.

I think now more than ever..we will see Hardy brought back on a friendly deal now that the draft is over and little has been improved with the pass rush.

Which I'm in favor of as long as its a good contract based on performance.

So let's wait and see what happens.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Don't you think Marinelli and Will Clay have to be signing off on these decisions,too?

They more so than Jerrah have to have all the medical reports and scouting info to recommend what is best.

I think now more than ever..we will see Hardy brought back on a friendly deal now that the draft is over and little has been improved with the pass rush.

Which I'm in favor of as long as its a good contract based on performance.

So let's wait and see what happens.

I think Marinelli has played a big role in all 3 picks.

Yup, we're taking our cues from a guy that was the HC for a 0-16 team.

Oh joy.

YR

ccb04

Reaction score
I just witnessed literal panicking and biggest reach in the history of the draft.

The biggest reach in the history of the draft? WOW! Relax a little chief. I've followed some of your thoughts/mocks through the offseason & know damn well you're smarter than that. I can understand being frustrated by taking a player with this injury risk...but the Cowboys have had far greater reaches in their own draft history...let alone in the entire history of the NFL draft.

They know the player. His brother (Rod Smith) is on the Cowboys...and this is the team doctor that performed his surgery: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article63152082.html

There's undoubtedly concerns & risks. It sucks he can't play this year & that there is longer-term risks. But the kid is a helluva player if he can come back...in fact one who was at the top of some peoples entire draft boards. And him being ready could possibly coincide with when they need a LB if moving on from McClain, etc. They've taken chances on players with drug problems & other such baggage...and I for one am happy to see them take a chance on a good kid...and a great player. Hopefully their roll of the dice turns out in their favor on this one.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
The biggest reach in the history of the draft? WOW! Relax a little chief. I've followed some of your thoughts/mocks through the offseason & know damn well you're smarter than that. I can understand being frustrated by taking a player with this injury risk...but the Cowboys have had far greater reaches in their own draft history...let alone in the entire history of the NFL draft.

They know the player. His brother (Rod Smith) is on the Cowboys...and this is the team doctor that performed his surgery: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-corner-blog/article63152082.html

There's undoubtedly concerns & risks. It sucks he can't play this year & that there is longer-term risks. But the kid is a helluva player if he can come back...in fact one who was at the top of some peoples entire draft boards. And him being ready could possibly coincide with when they need a LB if moving on from McClain, etc. They've taken chances on players with drug problems & other such baggage...and I for one am happy to see them take a chance on a good kid...and a great player. Hopefully their roll of the dice turns out in their favor on this one.

Nope. Pick 34 is worth 560 points. The equivalent of 3 mid 3rd round picks. With those 3 third rd picks we could have had a starting SS and rid ourselves of Church's salary, a starting CB ridding ourselves of Carrs salary and easily still drafted Jaylon Smith.

Add that to the over reach of selecting the 8th best player at pick 4 and the 92nd best player at 67 and we left the equivalent of 5 starting caliber players on the board and 2 contributors. It is a disastrous effort.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Lol I love when fans say a player would have been available at a later pick. U have no idea if that is true. There was a report put out saying that Jaylon Smith wasn't making it out of the 2nd round. Multiple teams had interest. None the less arm chair scout rage is the best so let the man vent.

ccb04

Reaction score
Nope. Pick 34 is worth 560 points. The equivalent of 3 mid 3rd round picks. With those 3 third rd picks we could have had a starting SS and rid ourselves of Church's salary, a starting CB ridding ourselves of Carrs salary and easily still drafted Jaylon Smith.

Add that to the over reach of selecting the 8th best player at pick 4 and the 92nd best player at 67 and we left the equivalent of 5 starting caliber players on the board and 2 contributors. It is a disastrous effort.

I was speaking in terms of your "biggest reach in the history of the draft" comment.

Now you're speaking in terms of hypothetical trade down scenarios...and saying they could have landed 2-3 immediate starters in the 3rd round. Church has 1 year remaining on his contract & isn't going anywhere. They got Carr to take a pay cut...so obviously will keep him. As far as Smith, I don't disagree that he could have potentially been available later, but nothing in the draft is a given. And again, I can understand the frustration given the injury & uncertainty.

8th best player on who's board? CBS (which I like & reference)? Guys like Billings are still available...and many sites had him slotted in the 1st or 2nd. Many of us were hoping to get Karl Joseph in the 2nd despite his knee injury, and he of course went #14 to Oakland. It's all of course about how a given team values a player. The draft has it's surprises every year.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I was speaking in terms of your "biggest reach in the history of the draft" comment.

Now you're speaking in terms of hypothetical trade down scenarios...and saying they could have landed 2-3 immediate starters in the 3rd round. Church has 1 year remaining on his contract & isn't going anywhere. They got Carr to take a pay cut...so obviously will keep him. As far as Smith, I don't disagree that he could have potentially been available later, but nothing in the draft is a given. And again, I can understand the frustration given the injury & uncertainty.

8th best player on who's board? CBS (which I like & reference)? Guys like Billings are still available...and many sites had him slotted in the 1st or 2nd. Many of us were hoping to get Karl Joseph in the 2nd despite his knee injury, and he of course went #14 to Oakland. It's all of course about how a given team values a player. The draft has it's surprises every year.

I am talking about maximizing resources and filling needs. Something this team needs to get better at. Carr and Church have the two worst salaries on the team if you don't count Romo.

Elliott was easily an overreach at 4 but at least he is an upgrade over what they had. Unfortunalely the RB position is one that is easily upgraded and there are still quality RB's available.

Church is not a quality SS and could have easily been replaced at a fraction of the cost and Carr even with the Pay cut is severely overpaid considering the contributions made. Not to mention He and Claiborne both have one year.

Surprises and mistakes offer the opportunity to win the draft. Unfortunately we are on the wrong side of it.

pupulehaole

Reaction score

Any hope that things would change once Jerry hands over control was just demolished.

I love babies like you, pure entertainment. Just like half the chat today. EL OH EL bro.