I do not see any difference between that play and the Dez play in 2014 *merged*

nathanlt

Reaction score
You and a few others are too preoccupied with what the rulebook says.

I haven’t “quoted” any rules you and the others have.

I wish you would have led with these comments 3 years ago. But, in any case, I'm glad you made these statements.

As I said, it's very telling in your approach to the subject. In fact, I don't feel there's any point to arguing this with you anymore, I mean it 100%. And that's a relief for both of us.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're avoiding my question.

At this point, I'd like you to ask yourself why you don't want to look at the play and analyze it critically.

I’ve answered that question in the past. You and I have been arguing this topic for three years and you continue to want to rehash the same arguments we’ve had numerous times. You ask the same questions over and over in an attempt to keep this argument going. It happens every time this topic comes up. You’ll be going until the draft on this if you can find anyone that will argue with you. I haven’t seen anyone that has a passion for this topic like you do. Unless you can find something we haven’t already covered I’m done. Good luck with that. lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m done with this latest edition of the Dez catch unless someone has an angle I haven’t already covered or someone pops up that I haven’t had this discussion with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who should everyone believe everyone in Cowboys Nation?

I don't think this is a Cowboys Nation thing. This is going on all over the NFL, every team, every fan base. The Commissioner of the sport is saying that the Catch Rule is a mistake and needs to be fixed. This entire thing is starting to reach critical mass because the Commissioner (who BTW, is not a stupid guy) sees the very real possibility that this, specific rule, opens up a huge can of worms. It's now a viable threat to the game. People are now questioning the integrity of the game in, what is the crown jewel of the sport. The calls in the Super Bowl are being questioned widely. I do believe that the call on the goal line, the Ertz catch, was a TD. However, a week before, in the Pitt game, the Jessie James play was very similar and that was ruled no TD. Now, regardless of what you think of each of those plays, the optics are bad for the NFL. The TD to Foles should have been a penalty. They didn't have 7 guys on the LOS. That's a penalty and nothing was called. Clement didn't catch that ball in the back of the EZ. That was an incomplete pass, not a TD, and it was clearly evident in the replay. You could not miss that. The Hail Mary at the end of the game, the Eagles de-cleated a WR going down the field, while the ball was in the air and no call was made. It happened in the middle of the field and nobody called a thing. All of these plays effected the outcome of the game and the Officiating Crew just ignored it. The Commissioner knows this and he sees the implications IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't think this is a Cowboys Nation thing. This is going on all over the NFL, every team, every fan base.

What’s been going on here for the past three years is certainly a Cowboys Nation thing. Can’t imagine other fan bases arguing this topic like we have since 2014. Granted not many other fan bases have been as affected by the rule as ours but at some point you have to let it go and move on. What’s happening here is the sad state of this franchise. We’re not winning consistently and fans are frustrated. When fans are frustrated they look for excuses and things to complain about. Every offseason this topic comes up and it gets heated.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What’s been going on here for the past three years is certainly a Cowboys Nation thing. Can’t imagine other fan bases arguing this topic like we have since 2014. Granted not many other fan bases have been as affected by the rule as ours but at some point you have to let it go and move on. What’s happening here is the sad state of this franchise. We’re not winning consistently and fans are frustrated. When fans are frustrated they look for excuses and things to complain about. Every offseason this topic comes up and it gets heated.

Yeah, we don't agree here, at all. I can go to any fan base message board and see the exact same discussions going on, when there is any questionable catch call. We are not unique, not matter how much you would like to believe that we are. We are not even as bad as many fan bases, to be honest.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't think this is a Cowboys Nation thing. This is going on all over the NFL, every team, every fan base. The Commissioner of the sport is saying that the Catch Rule is a mistake and needs to be fixed.
When Mike Pereira himself says it's time to go back to the football move, you know it's reached critical mass. This is a guy who payed a role in interpreting the "going to the ground" rule (wrongly, as he now admits), and who supported Blandino's overturn of both the Dez and James catches. (Again, wrongly, as he now admits.)

The commissioner knew there was a big problem in 2015, which is why he appointed the catch committee to clarify and streamline the catch rule. They did manage to get specific examples of the football move into the rule book, but failed to get rid of the "upright long enough" standard for becoming a runner.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you can't repeat it.

I’ve told you several times in this thread that I’m not going to rehash the same arguments we’ve had. This has been going on for three years. Some don’t have the passion for this topic that you do. Once you see someone trying to move on you start asking questions to try and pull them back in. It’s your way of keeping this going. Appears MarcusRock has tired of it at least for the time being. If you want to keep arguing this go look him up and see if you can pull him back in. I’ve invested enough time in this thread.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
When Mike Pereira himself says it's time to go back to the football move, you know it's reached critical mass. This is a guy who payed a role in interpreting the "going to the ground" rule (wrongly, as he now admits), and who supported Blandino's overturn of both the Dez and James catches. (Again, wrongly, as he now admits.)

The commissioner knew there was a big problem in 2015, which is why he appointed the catch committee to clarify and streamline the catch rule. They did manage to get specific examples of the football move into the rule book, but failed to get rid of the "upright long enough" standard for becoming a runner.

Pereira was a mouth piece for the league IMO. He was not objective, in the slightest, IMO. Now that is, and I stress, just my opinion. But it is hard to believe that he could get it so wrong, when seemingly all around him were questioning the opinion.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Yeah, we don't agree here, at all. I can go to any fan base message board and see the exact same discussions going on, when there is any questionable catch call. We are not unique, not matter how much you would like to believe that we are. We are not even as bad as many fan bases, to be honest.
It's politics that has kept "upright long enough" in the rule book for three seasons now. Even though the catch committee spelled out specific examples of what a football move was (tucking the ball, turning upfield, taking additional steps), that has been largely ignored by replay officials, who have followed the "upright long enough" standard which was instituted in 2015.

The only solution is to remove "upright long enough" and leave no doubt that the football move is what completes the catch process.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Yeah, they’re going on now after the Ertz play but can you locate as many threads as this one the past 3 years on other fan boards? No other fan base has been harping on this topic the past three years like this one. We still have fans crying about a play from three years ago. This topic has become an annual offseason event the past three years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I will say this. It has always been the rule, on this board, that if you post something, then you defend it. If you don't want to defend it, then don't post it. If you have tired of the discussion, then bow out and don't continue to post and expect nobody to question positions. You guys all know how this works. So long as the discussion is in bounds, anything can be questioned. And that includes my posts, Reality's posts, and member of this Staff's posts so don't fool yourselves. Your posts can definitely be questioned by others, believe that.......

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I’ve told you several times in this thread that I’m not going to rehash the same arguments we’ve had. This has been going on for three years. Some don’t have the passion for this topic that you do. Once you see someone trying to move on you start asking questions to try and pull them back in. It’s your way of keeping this going. Appears MarcusRock has tired of it at least for the time being. If you want to keep arguing this go look him up and see if you can pull him back in. I’ve invested enough time in this thread.
You sure are saying a lot for someone who doesn't want to say any more. If you're going to take the time to post about how you don't want to take the time to repeat what you saw that convinced you Dez didn't complete the catch process before hitting the ground, you could easily take the time to say it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's politics that has kept "upright long enough" in the rule book for three seasons now. Even though the catch committee spelled out specific examples of what a football move was (tucking the ball, turning upfield, taking additional steps), that has been largely ignored by replay officials, who have followed the "upright long enough" standard which was instituted in 2015.

The only solution is to remove "upright long enough" and leave no doubt that the football move is what completes the catch process.

Honestly Percy, when I played the Official made a call and that was it. Right or wrong, that was all it was. I wished we could just go back to that but I know that's unrealistic. I agree, it needs to go back the way it was. Make it more clear cut, more simple to officiate.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah, they’re going on now after the Ertz play but can you locate as many threads as this one the past 3 years on other fan boards? No other fan base has been harping on this topic the past three years like this one. We still have fans crying about a play from three years ago. This topic has become an annual offseason event the past three years.

Oh yes. It has happened. I do post on other boards, thou not as much as I used to. This is not uncommon behavior, at all.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Honestly Percy, when I played the Official made a call and that was it. Right or wrong, that was all it was. I wished we could just go back to that but I know that's unrealistic. I agree, it needs to go back the way it was. Make it more clear cut, more simple to officiate.
It's become more about making it easy for the PR guys who manage perception than about making it easy for the officials on the field.

The league should never have let that happen.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
55 pages and over 1100 days later, Dez's catch is still ruled incomplete and the Packers still won that game. :rolleyes:

WTDnnwE.gif