I Dont Get It

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
what is with thefake spike thing, i mean does thing ever work, Phili and GB have both failed at this in consecutive weeks.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
what is with thefake spike thing, i mean does thing ever work, Phili and GB have both failed at this in consecutive weeks.

I remember Randall Cunningham did it to us at the end of a game in the Vet years ago. It went for a long TD, and Philly was already up by 3 or 4 scores. Buddy Ryan, worthless bastid :mad:

Ken

Reaction score
That play pretty much summed up the Eagles season so far.....

***?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That was just horrible. He cost his team a chance to tie the game.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Colossal stupidity. Can't believe he did that. His linemen didn't block because THEY TOO thought he would spike it.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Marino doing it to the Jets is probably the best example of it "working" because the game was still undecided

David

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I remember Randall Cunningham did it to us at the end of a game in the Vet years ago. It went for a long TD, and Philly was already up by 3 or 4 scores. Buddy Ryan, worthless bastid :mad:
I was at that game. It was the first game after the 87 NFL Players Union strike up there at the Vet and Buddy had thought that Landry had run up the score on him by running a reverse to Kelvin Edwards after the Cowboys were already up by 21 points during a strike game 2 weeks earlier. Philly had the ball on around Dallas' 35 yard line and Buddy had Cunningham fake a knee (not a spike) and then stood up and threw it to his WR (can't remember who it was, might have been Kenny Jackson) and drew a PI on Ron Francis in the endzone, which gave them the ball on the 1 yard line with 3 seconds left, and Philly was already winning 30-20. The next play, Keith Byars ran it in to make the score 37-20. Buddy called that last TD "very satisfying".

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
bbgun said:
Colossal stupidity. Can't believe he did that. His linemen didn't block because THEY TOO thought he would spike it.
YEAH! How the hell is that play supposed to work if your line doesn't know about it. Your RB doesn't know about it. The WR you want to throw it to has no idea what's going on. Eagles are going to lose big time thanks to that play. Where's T.O. when you need him?

Kilyin

Reaction score
I saw a segment on NFL Network about Bernie Kosar, he was playing backup for Miami at the time (he also backed up Dallas and helped us win a playoff game when Aikman got hurt), and he claimed he told Marino to run the fake spike. True story.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
It's a great example of why the Eagles never win the big one...

They have gotten away with beating inferior opponents due to their talent level....but generally, they play an undisciplined game...that's what that fake spike play was, it was school yard ball...or as Parcells used to refer to Derek Ross "street ball"

Against better teams, that stuff always blows up.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:

I dunno but i LOVED seeing mcnabb get pancaked AND blowng a sure 3 points.

Snaggletooth

Reaction score
Not trying to defend McNabb here because I HATE the Eagles, but does anyone other than me think that he may have at first intended to spike the ball but noticed that no one was lined up to cover the receiver when the ball was snapped? I could be wrong but I thought I saw the corner running out to his position when the ball was being snapped.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I actually liked McNabb's decision to attempt the fake spike, but only if he knew some of his teammates were on the same page. And, clearly, they were not. It seems like an odd play to attempt without having some phrase or word signaling a fake spike.

Encore

Never Enough
Reaction score
It works.

Well, of course that would mean the other players on your team would have to know that your going to do it.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
I saw a segment on NFL Network about Bernie Kosar, he was playing backup for Miami at the time (he also backed up Dallas and helped us win a playoff game when Aikman got hurt), and he claimed he told Marino to run the fake spike. True story.

Bernie Kosar is one of the most underrated players in the history of the NFL. He doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Dale said:
I actually liked McNabb's decision to attempt the fake spike, but only if he knew some of his teammates were on the same page. And, clearly, they were not. It seems like an odd play to attempt without having some phrase or word signaling a fake spike.

The key phrase was "New England Clam Chowder."

Come on, Dale, you could hear his mother screaming it from the stands - clear as a bell.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Marino did it to win a game aginst the Jets so it has worked. Yesterday though the only person who seem to know that McNabb would fake the spike was McNabb himself his teammates looked as if they expected the ball to be spiked.