I don't get the Baker Mayfield pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I wonder if any other team makes this pick besides the Cleveland Browns.

He goes against just about everything NFL QB's are measured on.

Height? Short for a QB

College Offense? Gimmicky.

Played under center? No.

Mature? Not even close.

Anything special about him physically? Not really. We've seen a million of these types including Johnny Manziel who I would say has more physical ability but may not be the competitor that Mayfield is.

I just don't get it. All offseason I didn't get it and it's like NFL teams just went completely against what they deem works when picking a QB.

Maybe the other teams were just blowing smoke and it was just the Browns but I don't know.

I wasn't a Darnold fan either so if their choice was between Darnold and Mayfield then maybe they just felt better about Mayfield. I hate that Darnold left school so early.

Rosen would've been a good pick for that franchise.

Does Rosen have the highest ceiling? No. But he has the lowest floor too and that's really what that team needs. They need their own Joe Flacco type of guy.

I could be wrong about Mayfield but we will see. It will go against what almost always works at that position in the NFL.

Is he Breese? Wilson? Odds are against it.

Verdammung

Reaction score
He's QB #1 on my board and from what I hear there are a lot of NFL teams that would have made that pick.

He's hyper accurate (even on the run), he can throw with velocity and distance, he's a productive runner, he's elusive against the pass rush, he makes multiple reads, and he's a winner.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's QB #1 on my board and from what I hear there are a lot of NFL teams that would have made that pick.

He's hyper accurate (even on the run), he can throw with velocity and distance, he's a productive runner, he's elusive against the pass rush, he makes multiple reads, and he's a winner.

He looks like the typical college QB to me.

Gimmicky offense, run around and play sand lot football a lot.

He's a fantastic college QB but I just don't see it being anything special in the Pro's.

I could be wrong though. A lot of teams supposedly liked him so who knows. I'm just missing it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Also, passing on Chubb, even with Ogbah I thought was a bad move and drafting Antonio Calloway in the 4th after all they have gone through with Josh Gordon just kinda confirms to me why they are the Browns.

I dont agree with the OP at all, but man do I agree with this.

Taking Ward over Chubb was beyond stupid, and Callaway despite his talents in the 4th is way too early as well. Might work out, but I highly doubt it.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Height? Short for a QB

Played under center? No.

Mature? Not even close.

Anything special about him physically? Not really. We've seen a million of these types including Johnny Manziel who I would say has more physical ability but may not be the competitor that Mayfield is.

I just don't get it. All offseason I didn't get it and it's like NFL teams just went completely against what they deem works when picking a QB.

Maybe the other teams were just blowing smoke and it was just the Browns but I don't know.

I wasn't a Darnold fan either so if their choice was between Darnold and Mayfield then maybe they just felt better about Mayfield. I hate that Darnold left school so early.

Does Rosen have the highest ceiling? No. But he has the lowest floor too and that's really what that team needs. They need their own Joe Flacco type of guy.

I could be wrong about Mayfield but we will see. It will go against what almost always works at that position in the NFL.

I think there were others that had him as the top QB, but they were definitely in the large minority.
real good chance that if they wanted Mayfield, they could've gotten both Barkley and him by flipping their draft script.
Would've screwed NY in the process too

And yes, even when they picked him 1st, yo take Chubb at 4 or at least pull in serious draft picks with a small trade down. Taking ward at 4 was silly. Could've gotten the player and some great extra picks

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think there were others that had him as the top QB, but they were definitely in the large minority.
real good chance that if they wanted Mayfield, they could've gotten both Barkley and him by flipping their draft script.
Would've screwed NY in the process too

And yes, even when they picked him 1st, yo take Chubb at 4 or at least pull in serious draft picks with a small trade down. Taking ward at 4 was silly. Could've gotten the player and some great extra picks

It's why I love the draft though. So many different opinions on these players but after you've seen so many of these drafts over the years you kinda know what works and what doesn't and Baker Mayfield would be a guy I would categorize as not working at the next level.

I could very well be wrong.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he translates to the NFL where the windows he is use throwing in become a heck of a lot smaller.

Its hard to judge QBs so I can understand that pick. I don't get the Ward or Callaway picks though.

It is heck of a lot easier to find a CB than a top tier DE. I wonder if they knew Jackson would be there at pick 33 if they still take Ward over Chubb.

With all the WRs in this draft, they take the guy with off field issues who failed his urine test at the freaking combine of all places?

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Baker may turn out to be a terrific NFL QB but I would have taken Darnold instead. Baker make his living in the middle of the field. What happens when NFL teams take away the middle and force him to work outside the hash 15 yards down field. I don't think he has the accuracy for that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how he translates to the NFL where the windows he is use throwing in become a heck of a lot smaller.

Its hard to judge QBs so I can understand that pick. I don't get the Ward or Callaway picks though.

It is heck of a lot easier to find a CB than a top tier DE. I wonder if they knew Jackson would be there at pick 33 if they still take Ward over Chubb.

With all the WRs in this draft, they take the guy with off field issues who failed his urine test at the freaking combine of all places?

I'm not familiar with the Browns defensive scheme but I felt like Isaiah Oliver went criminally under the radar in the 2nd and those are the types of guys you could've still got in round 2.

Garrett and Chubb for a decade causes a lot of problems.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's QB2 to me (behind Rosen), and might have been QB1 if he didn't play in an Air Raid.

Dude has phenomenal accuracy, makes reads, evades pressures, and has enough arm to drive it. Again, I hate the offense he plays in, but I think everything else is going to translate.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For what it's worth, Football Outsiders' QBASE system adores him:

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (13)

Baker Mayfield's stats at Oklahoma were completely ridiculous, so it's no surprise that a stat-based projection system such as QBASE loves him with the heat of a thousand suns.

One of the stats included in QBASE is adjusted passing yards per attempt. This metric looks at yards per attempt, then adds 20 yards for each touchdown and subtracts 45 yards for each interception. Baker Mayfield is the only quarterback in FBS history to top 12.0 APYA in a season, and he's done it twice: 12.3 APYA in 2016, and then a record 12.9 APYA in 2017. Mayfield also completed more than 70 percent of his passes as a senior, and Oklahoma's offense was No. 1 in Football Outsiders' Passing S&P+ rating.

On top of this, the No. 1 predictor of NFL success for top quarterback draft picks is still how many years of starting experience they had in college. Mayfield is the only one of this year's top prospects with four years of starting experience. (Luke Falk, likely to be drafted later, started for three-and-a-half seasons.)

Like Rosen, QBASE docks Mayfield a bit because he played with high-quality teammates. Both offensive tackle Orlando Brown and tight end Mark Andrews are likely to be drafted in the first three rounds this year, and wide receiver Marquise Brown and guard Ben Powers are likely to go in the first three rounds of the 2019 draft. However, Mayfield does not get docked for playing an easy Big 12 schedule. Because of the Big 12 championship game, the Sooners had to play twice against TCU, which at No. 15 in S&P+ was the Big 12's best pass defense. Mayfield also had to face Ohio State (No. 12) and Georgia (No. 6), so the average pass defense he faced was ranked 52.8, the same as Rosen and better than any of this year's prospects other than Darnold.

Put all these elements together, and Mayfield has the fourth-highest QBASE projection of any prospect since 1997. The only players projected higher were Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Donovan McNabb. Here are the top 10 prospects since 1997 based on the current formula:

Top QBASE Projections, 1997-2017
Player
QBASE
Philip Rivers 1964
Carson Palmer 1916
Donovan McNabb 1799
Baker Mayfield 1480
Russell Wilson 1288
Peyton Manning 1279
Marcus Mariota 1277
Byron Leftwich 1216
Aaron Rodgers 1216
Ben Roethlisberger 1211

None of this is a guarantee that Mayfield is going to be a star in the NFL. Just below the QBASE top ten are prospects who didn't pan out, including John Beck, Matt Leinart, and Christian Ponder. But based on his college performance, Mayfield has the best odds of any quarterback in this class of being an elite starter in the NFL, and the lowest odds of being a bust.

reddyuta

Reaction score
He was my no 1 QB but he is all wrong for Cleveland,wont be surprised if they cut him in 2 years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Height? Short for a QB

Played under center? No.

Mature? Not even close.

It does seem like a high probabability of failure.

Statistically:
QBs under 6' - Very few successful ones in the modern era.

QBs with mental makeup.questions in college - Low probability of success.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
He had production and the unquantifiable "it" factor according to the Brown's GM which all "great" QBs possess -- exudes the kind of confidence which fundamentally changes the character of a team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Also, passing on Chubb, even with Ogbah I thought was a bad move and drafting Antonio Calloway in the 4th after all they have gone through with Josh Gordon just kinda confirms to me why they are the Browns.

Yup, and only the Browns can screw up THAT good of a drafting situation. They have high draft picks out the wazoo, and they COMPLETELY miss on the best talent in the draft. Honestly, they DON'T belong in the NFL as an ORGANIZATION. It's ridiculous how they seem INTENT on SCREWING up! They screw themselves over and the rest of the league with their incompetence. It's sickening, and it's embarrassing. On one hand, I like making fun of them, but it's getting so frequent and old now that I'm sick of hearing of them. If they suck again this year, they need to be BOOTED OUT of the League, and the league needs to expand elsewhere.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The Browns #4 pick was the stupid pick in my opinion.

That pick was BEYOND moronic! If they get Chubb at 4, now they have a pass rusher to pair with Myles Garrett. Though, given that I do like the Broncos as long as they're not playing Dallas, I can't say that I'm all that upset by the pick lol. Though, I saw on a Youtube video from a Cowboys fan today, and I agree with him on this. What they SHOULD have done was go Barkley at 1 and QB at pick 4. Like the guy on the video said, with a back like Zeke, Gurley, or Barkley, you WON'T suck as long as they're on the field. You may be mediocre or average, but you won't suck. If you get Barkley and Chubb, then your ENTIRE team is GREATLY improved. Especially since this QB class wasn't great imo.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yup, and only the Browns can screw up THAT good of a drafting situation. They have high draft picks out the wazoo, and they COMPLETELY miss on the best talent in the draft. Honestly, they DON'T belong in the NFL as an ORGANIZATION. It's ridiculous how they seem INTENT on SCREWING up! They screw themselves over and the rest of the league with their incompetence. It's sickening, and it's embarrassing. On one hand, I like making fun of them, but it's getting so frequent and old now that I'm sick of hearing of them. If they suck again this year, they need to be BOOTED OUT of the League, and the league needs to expand elsewhere.

I almost got wonder if they purposely don’t pick the best out players.

Like if someone in the league doesn’t want certain high draft picks to be in that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.