I don't get the Baker Mayfield pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskboys

Reaction score
It does seem like a high probabability of failure.

Statistically:
QBs under 6' - Very few successful ones in the modern era.

QBs with mental makeup.questions in college - Low probability of success.

Where did you hear he has a questionable mental makeup? I hadn't heard that.

jay94

Reaction score
Becoming starter as a walk on twice has my confidence in the guy, a qb in Cleveland actually has talent around him, unlike in the past.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I do not think Baker was anywhere near the best QB in the draft.
But virtually all QBs get overdrafted and someone was taking that chance.

He has great accuracy and average NFL arm strength.
He has tremendous self-belief and swagger.
He is a hard worker.
He is mobile and tough as nails.
He has a ton of experience in modern spread, RPO offense.

He played behind an excellent OL and RB corps with talent all across the offense.
He will press and tries to win games with one play. That is tougher to do in the NFL and can leave you gassed for the rest of the series.
He will run around keeping plays alive with ball loose and away from the body.

IMHO he was a boom or bust guy.
His questionable decision-making just raw emotion and chip on his shoulder has been a bit too public.
NFL-wise it is tough to complete passes and you gotta take what defenses gives you.
Keeping a cool head is critical; and you do not want to give bulletin board material to NFL defenders.

He has taken 4 sacks in limited NFL snaps owing again to his desire to keep plays alive.

kskboys

Reaction score
I do not think Baker was anywhere near the best QB in the draft.
But virtually all QBs get overdrafted and someone was taking that chance.

He has great accuracy and average NFL arm strength.
He has tremendous self-belief and swagger.
He is a hard worker.
He is mobile and tough as nails.
He has a ton of experience in modern spread, RPO offense.

He played behind an excellent OL and RB corps with talent all across the offense.
He will press and tries to win games with one play. That is tougher to do in the NFL and can leave you gassed for the rest of the series.
He will run around keeping plays alive with ball loose and away from the body.

IMHO he was a boom or bust guy.
His questionable decision-making just raw emotion and chip on his shoulder has been a bit too public.
NFL-wise it is tough to complete passes and you gotta take what defenses gives you.
Keeping a cool head is critical; and you do not want to give bulletin board material to NFL defenders.

He has taken 4 sacks in limited NFL snaps owing again to his desire to keep plays alive.
Several scouts said he would have easily been the consensus best QB in the draft it he were two inches taller. He's doubted for the same reason Wilson slipped to the 3rd, height.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
His release sucks and it's going to get him in trouble and he hasn't looked impressive in the last 2 preseason games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Several scouts said he would have easily been the consensus best QB in the draft it he were two inches taller. He's doubted for the same reason Wilson slipped to the 3rd, height.
I know but I watched Baker play a lot including seeing his first collegiate game Live.
I don't view him that way.
Wouldn't be first time if I am wrong but my opinion isn't formed on a quick perusal or based on his height.
It's play style and emotion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We will see.

I would've taken Rosen, Allen, and Darnold aover Baker and pre-season hasn't changed my mind about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.