I don't think we can take Decastro now

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would love to have him but a guard in the 1st round is just a luxury we can't afford.

We have to get a pass rusher or CB in round 1.

We may even have to gamble on a guy like Janoris Jenkins because we're in such desperation mode.

I'd love to have Decastro but he is out of the question imo.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CATCH17;4352120 said:
I would love to have him but a guard in the 1st round is just a luxury we can't afford.

We may even have to gamble on a guy like Janoris Jenkins because we're in such desperation mode.

I dont think he's out of the question, no one is yet. One thing that leads me to believe CB or OLB will become a higher priority is the depth of talent on the FA market available at OG.

I think our draft plans simply wont clear up till March because this team has 3 glaring area of needs and at least one of them has to be addressed in FA.

cds99

Reaction score
CATCH17;4352120 said:

Could move up for a top cb in the 1st and grab kevin zeitler in the 2nd or possibly 3rd

Maybe grab Curry in 2nd and get zeitler in 3rd. Who knows

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SDogo;4352132 said:
I dont think he's out of the question, no one is yet. One thing that leads me to believe CB or OLB will become a higher priority is the depth of talent on the FA market available at OG.

I think our draft plans simply wont clear up till March because this team has 3 glaring area of needs and at least one of them has to be addressed in FA.

I like the way you think, you sweet talker Betty crocker. :p:

Eskimo

Reaction score
Teams are built in the draft.

Why go for a possible bust at CB or OLB when we could get the 2nd best player in the whole draft at OG? Cowboys fans should understand the difference an All-Pro OG can make to a football team even if it isn't the most glamorous position on the field.

If DeCastro is gone I would prefer to trade down about 6 spots and try to nab an extra 3rd rounder. This is a deep OG draft apparently and we could use two. If we get the extra pick we can get two OGs and still have two picks left to use at CB and DL/LB.

tm1119

Reaction score
Eskimo;4352294 said:
Teams are built in the draft.

Why go for a possible bust at CB or OLB when we could get the 2nd best player in the whole draft at OG? Cowboys fans should understand the difference an All-Pro OG can make to a football team even if it isn't the most glamorous position on the field.

If DeCastro is gone I would prefer to trade down about 6 spots and try to nab an extra 3rd rounder. This is a deep OG draft apparently and we could use two. If we get the extra pick we can get two OGs and still have two picks left to use at CB and DL/LB.

This. If its a position of need and an almost sure thing you take that player, regardless of position. Decastro would start immediately and most likely play at a higher level than any of the CB's that will be available when we draft. Take the surest thing and rely on your scouts to get you quality players later.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Luckily, Free Agency is first. We do need to add talent on D but we also need to add veterans who play with fire, heart, and emotion (not just talk about it on the sidelines and in pre-game) . We need to be very aggressive in Free Agency. Then, come draft time, we can add someone like DeCastro who will have an immediate impact on the team. I don't want to see us reaching due to need. 14th is too high for most of the CB's and pass-rushing OLB's I feel will be available there.

SDogo

Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;4352543 said:
Luckily, Free Agency is first. We do need to add talent on D but we also need to add veterans who play with fire, heart, and emotion (not just talk about it on the sidelines and in pre-game) . We need to be very aggressive in Free Agency. Then, come draft time, we can add someone like DeCastro who will have an immediate impact on the team. I don't want to see us reaching due to need. 14th is too high for most of the CB's and pass-rushing OLB's I feel will be available there.

You make a very good point. At 14 and where this team is that pick has to be NFL ready from Day 1 ala Smith last year. DeCastro is as good as it can get for us anywhere on the offensive side of the ball and it just happens to be a dire need as well.

I don't think the same can be said of any defensive pick at 14 including the CB's that will be there.

super8

Benched
Reaction score
well I saw yesterday Imgram going 16

DeCastro going 13

on Walters mock

so what will Jerry do ?

MrPhil

Reaction score
Well according to Great Blue North's most recent mock these guys are in the range of #14:

DeCastro
Dre Kirkpatrick
Courtney Upshaw

Not sure if Upshaw is a viable 3-4 backer, but if he is then we have three good alternatives for our first pick. Of course a lot can, and will, change between now and the draft.

SDogo

Reaction score
MrPhil;4352827 said:
Well according to Great Blue North's most recent mock these guys are in the range of #14:

DeCastro
Dre Kirkpatrick
Courtney Upshaw

Not sure if Upshaw is a viable 3-4 backer, but if he is then we have three good alternatives for our first pick. Of course a lot can, and will, change between now and the draft.

I'm not a fan of Upshaw at all if your looking to replace Spencer cause your getting the same player. If I'm taking a Alabama LB then I want Hightower to team with Lee.

RS12

Reaction score
Bunting says DeCastro is the 2nd best player in the draft, likely gone at 14.

RS12

Reaction score
SDogo;4352838 said:
I'm not a fan of Upshaw at all if your looking to replace Spencer cause your getting the same player. If I'm taking a Alabama LB then I want Hightower to team with Lee.

Yep and move Carter outside where he belongs.

MrPhil

Reaction score
SDogo;4352838 said:

Yeah, I think I remember hearing that somewhere here before. Although I dont know much about him, Vinny Curry has been mentioned a lot. Only problem is will be last until the second round?

SDogo

Reaction score
RS12;4352840 said:
Bunting says DeCastro is the 2nd best player in the draft, likely gone at 14.

4th best if you ask me but most NFL ready as far as the interior lineman go. Come come in day 1 and start.

SDogo

Reaction score
MrPhil;4352853 said:
Yeah, I think I remember hearing that somewhere here before. Although I dont know much about him, Vinny Curry has been mentioned a lot. Only problem is will be last until the second round?

Curry's stock is going to ride solely on his workouts. I can see him going anywhere from late round 1 to mid round 2.

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
those pesky cardinals took peterson from us, now they're about to snatch up decastro before us. :banghead:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DeCastro is considered one of the best guard prospects to come out over the last decade.

I would love a CB in the first round, but with DeCastro's potential combined with the 6 sacks the Cowboy's gave up last night, I'm going with DeCastro in the first round.

This is a good draft for corners... one can be gotten in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Oh yes we can. Every year we get distracted by something shiny in the side mirrors. Stay the course, it may not seem like it but an elite OG will work wonders for this team!

cds99

Reaction score
It would be awesome to take Kirkpatrick in 1st and take 2nd and someway trade back into first or top of 2nd and get zeitler. By this we get a top cb and help out the ol