I don't think we can take Decastro now

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4354240 said:
How high can a guard go? Pouncey 15, Iupati about 18th in recent memory

In the last 20 years, the hights player taken at Guard was Chris Naeole of Colorado by the New Orleans Saints in 1997 with the 10th overall pick in that draft. The next highest is Ruben Brown at 14 by the Bills from Pittsburgh.

What's more, of the 6 Guards who made the Pro-Bowl this year, only Davin Joseph (who we could have signed) and Logan Mankins were 1st round picks. Heck, Brian Waters was undrafted and he was also somebody we could have had this year. I think we just need to be smarter about who we sign. In past years, we signed Kosier for very reasonable money (and let me add that most people didn't like that signing at the time) and got excellent value. We signed Big (who a lot of people liked at the time) and the perception there is that we didn't get very good value. We could have signed Joseph or Waters but we didn't because why? Too much money.

Now many are ready to use our 1st round pick on a Guard when we could have just been smart about it and signed one of these guys. It's likely that we are going to have to sign an FA in the off season anyhow. I know hindsight is 20/20 but honestly, most people new that Joseph would be a good player and the entire board was screaming for Waters at the beginning of the season. Are either of those guys really that hard to figure? Had we signed either of those guys, we are probably still playing right now and our first pick is probably being considered for OLB or CB rather then G.

I think we just need to be smarter about how we are doing business. I think that we should not take a Guard in the 1st round but rather, sign a good FA to play at Guard and develop one of the younger guys long term. I think that we can use Dockery and Holland in the short term and see how Kosier comes along.

JackWagon

Reaction score
Our drafting philosophy needs to change. Instead of getting glitzy picks for spots on the roster in rounds 1 and 2 we need to draft BAP (Best Available Player). Regardless of need on your team. That is the only way to push the starters to get them better and to have good backups when players get hurt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JackWagon;4356160 said:
Our drafting philosophy needs to change. Instead of getting glitzy picks for spots on the roster in rounds 1 and 2 we need to draft BAP (Best Available Player). Regardless of need on your team. That is the only way to push the starters to get them better and to have good backups when players get hurt.

I think both have to play a part BPA and need. Need should not override BPA but it should play a part I'm sure with the 14th overall pick we can find BPA who will fill a need.

RS12

Reaction score
Online Scouting reports for Martin and DeCastro from the Fiesta Bowl

55 OT Jonathan Martin*
-Good 2nd level block
-Blocked the wrong man on a zone blitz and DB came around free
-Showing good balance in pass pro, really locking down the DE
-Allows Jones to run himself right out of the play on the TD run
-Does a good job forcing DE inside and then getting off the block to pick up the LB who was coming around on a blitz
-Anchoring well v. Jones bull rush
-Great combo block to knock DE down to the ground
-Throws Blatnick to the ground on the play after his sack
-Staying low in his stance and doing a great job standing up the DE’s on their rush
-Winning the leverage battle all night long
-Lots of people were wondering if Martin was even an OT in the NFL with concerns over his footwork and arm length
-Martin was dominant tonight and showed no issues with his footwork or arm length, he’s still a first round caliber OT for us.

52 OG David DeCastro*
-Great kick out block to open hole for Taylor’s long run
-Showing lots of athleticism as a lead blocker
-Initiating contact in pass pro and just dominating the DT
-Has continually gotten out in front of runs when asked to pull
-Locates well on the move and is engaging his blocks consistently
-Always looking to hit somebody
-Love the mentality and tenacity he plays with
-May be the best lead blocker in the country
-Locates man and literally tries to knock him off his feet
-Blocks with great leverage
-Has a low pad level and just drives man off the ball when asked to block in line
-Has that nasty mentality that you love in an OL
-Pulls better than any other OG in this class
-We project him as a top 10 pick and today only helped to solidify that spot