I feel like this is a make it or break it game for Garrett

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I think if we pull out a win and still don't make the playoffs, Garrett is safe. If the Cowboys come out flat, that seals his fate. What do you guys think?

How he coaches this game will determine his fate, win or lose.

If he plays it safe, he's finished. If he throws out all the stops by taking uncharacteristic risks and still loses, he has a chance to stick around as long as they win the division and make the playoffs.

Last edited:

links18

Reaction score
Jerry will settle for a moral victory in this one. As long as we lose by two TDs or less, he'll say we were close.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think if we pull out a win and still don't make the playoffs, Garrett is safe. If the Cowboys come out flat, that seals his fate. What do you guys think?
Garrett sucks so bad! I root for the team despite of his sorry butt!

tm1119

Reaction score
So if we don’t beat the best team in the nfl it’s a make or break game? Not even close. Garrett has survived this far, not beating the Saints surely isn’t going to be his undoing.

Losing 2 in a row to the eagles and saints MIGHT do it, but even then he would surely coach out the rest of the season.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think Garrett’s gone if we miss the playoffs, regardless of tonight.

Make the playoffs and win a playoff game or lose a close one? He’s safe.

Make the playoffs and get blown out in the WC round? 50/50.

I agree with this. We’ve rattled off 3 straight wins and are back in the playoff hunt so JG will probably start to relax like usual. I think we get blown out tonight but it won’t matter if we come back and beat Philly. But I do think missing the playoffs this year may be JJs breaking point. Sure we’ve had injuries but so has all the division foes save NYG who doesn’t matter anyway.
Unless we roll into the nfc championship game this year I still think Linehan is gone, thankfully.
The best news is that it sounds like Jerry has a wandering eye this year for a coach or two who may be available...Riley from OU.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With 2 OL out, Jerry has all the excuses he needs, if Linehan doesn't produce he's the whipping boy.

At this point, I'll settle for that.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, this is not a game linked to Garrett's future if they lose. The Cowboys are expected to lose. This game can only help Garrett, even if they they don't win. If they have a good showing but still lose... Garrett still wins. It's next week's divisional game that will hurt Garrett's future if they don't win.
Yes, if it comes down to a single game and Jerry is paying attention to those details, I would put more emphasis on his ability to win the games that get us into the playoffs.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
No. People put too much emphasis on whatever the next game is. There is more to the season than just this game. It's just 1 of 16 nothing more than that. I get it, we're all hyped for it and looking forward to the challenge but if we lose and then win out no one will care about this game. So no this is not make or break for Garrett, or Dak or Linehan or anybody.
A voice of reason.

GenoT

Reaction score
Keep rubbing that lamp, Aladdin...you got two wishes left.

visionary

Reaction score

I'll see your ray of sunshine and dash it to smithereens

Garrett won't get fired even if we don't win a single game from here on out

:thumbup:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I enjoy reading you guys talking yourself into a frenzy to fire the HC. If he doesn't do that or if he doesn't do this, he is gone!! lol.. It's cute. Garrett is the HC of the Cowboys and will be until he isn't. Might as well get over it or move on to another team. How you feel, think, want, loathe or anything else doesn't make one bit of difference. Quit buying stuff, quit going to games, quit whatever, it does not matter. And it shouldn't!! You and I are just fans, we make a conscious decision to watch the game. Since you are investing your time, energy and whatever, just relax and enjoy the ride. Win or lose, it's just entertainment. All my bills are still due tomorrow regardless of a win or loss, so what does it really matter. It's just way for us to escape for a few hours. R-E-L-A-X.

_sturt_

Reaction score

Nope.

It still comes down to playoffs.

Winning tonight isn't enough. And losing tonight isn't enough.

That's not to say he retains his job just by making the playoffs, but there would have to be some high expectations for some reason going into the playoffs... e.g., say we beat NO tonight, and then Brees gets injured, and we play them again in the first round of the playoffs minus Brees.... in order for a playoff loss to break the proverbial camel's back.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas would have to get embarrassed tonight and miss the playoffs for this to even be a thought IMO. I think Garrett stays since this team didn't bottom out.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I get what the OP is saying. I don't know if it makes or breaks him, but, Garrett needs some signature wins under his belt. It's obviously his biggest downfall. With that said, I think it is a DEEP playoff run or he is out. There are some up and coming names available this year that I don't know if Jerry will want to ignore, especially Lincoln Riley. He will have to jump fast with other up and coming teams on the search too, i.e. Browns.