I feel sorry for Quincy, he never really had a chance

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Say what you will Quincy haters. I never took a side in the QB debate and avoided "Quincy vs. Hutchinson vs. Henson" threads like the plague but I think Quincy was thrown into a situation he was never destined to win.

He was never supposed to be anything higher than a 4th or 5th round draft pick. Jerry Jones took him a lot higher than he deserved for contractual purposes and Cowboys homers tried to justify the pick for years.

He never should have started his rookie year. Does anyone remember how lost he was his first game against the Buccs? He should have sat on the bench his entire rookie year while we let Banks go at it.

He was the first black starting QB in Dallas and had to go against a Texas tradition of white starting QBs. And yes, the race card does apply. If you've never lived in Texas, you can't talk about the race card because you don't know what it's like there. I have plenty of family and friends in Texas and the racism does exist. I knew people who actually said Quincy was only starting because he was black.

Quincy was basically a scrub QB who was treated like a 1st round top pick. He was thrown against obstacles he never had a chance to surpass. He had the confidence he should as an athlete and realized the tradition he was facing. I feel sorry for him that he couldn't make it and be the next starting QB for Dallas. Regardless of any drug test, he just didn't have the skills to do it. Good luck to him with whatever team picks him up.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
"He was the first black starting QB in Dallas and had to go against a Texas tradition of white starting QBs"

This is exactly why I am glad that Carter is gone. There were too many fans that supported Carter for the wrong reasons.

I'm hoping that our next QB is an excellent black quarterback so that bull**** like this post will finally end.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Say what you will Quincy haters. I never took a side in the QB debate and avoided "Quincy vs. Hutchinson vs. Henson" threads like the plague but I think Quincy was thrown into a situation he was never destined to win.

He was never supposed to be anything higher than a 4th or 5th round draft pick. Jerry Jones took him a lot higher than he deserved for contractual purposes and Cowboys homers tried to justify the pick for years.

He never should have started his rookie year. Does anyone remember how lost he was his first game against the Buccs? He should have sat on the bench his entire rookie year while we let Banks go at it.

He was the first black starting QB in Dallas and had to go against a Texas tradition of white starting QBs. And yes, the race card does apply. If you've never lived in Texas, you can't talk about the race card because you don't know what it's like there. I have plenty of family and friends in Texas and the racism does exist. I knew people who actually said Quincy was only starting because he was black.

Quincy was basically a scrub QB who was treated like a 1st round top pick. He was thrown against obstacles he never had a chance to surpass. He had the confidence he should as an athlete and realized the tradition he was facing. I feel sorry for him that he couldn't make it and be the next starting QB for Dallas. Regardless of any drug test, he just didn't have the skills to do it. Good luck to him with whatever team picks him up.

I live in Texas and have been a Texan my whole life and this ideal about race it BS. Texas is no different than any other part of the nation when it comes to race.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
"He was the first black starting QB in Dallas and had to go against a Texas tradition of white starting QBs"

This is exactly why I am glad that Carter is gone. There were too many fans that supported Carter for the wrong reasons.

I'm hoping that our next QB is an excellent black quarterback so that bull**** like this post will finally end.

Didn't Alexander Wright have a start in 2000 ?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
You guys can duck your head in the sand and act like race doesn't matter but in a state like Texas, Quincy had a hard time winning over fans because he was a black quarterback. I'm not saying it was one of the big reasons, but it was there. And I know plenty of people in Texas who had a hard time accepting him because of his race.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Not race again.

He wasn't the first black QB to start for Dallas. Cunningham and Wright both started in previous years, though not an entire season.

Carters biggest problem was that the Cowboys never brough in legitimate competition that had a chance to beat him out. It would not have taken much. If they had, he would have been on the bench two years ago and we would not be here now.

Rocco

Cozy in Colo
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
You guys can duck your head in the sand and act like race doesn't matter but in a state like Texas, Quincy had a hard time winning over fans because he was a black quarterback. I'm not saying it was one of the big reasons, but it was there. And I know plenty of people in Texas who had a hard time accepting him because of his race.

I don't think so, man. Especially not in Dallas. Hell, where I grew up in south Dallas, I was the only white guy in my neighborhood. You think if Michael Vick was playing in Dallas he would have a hard time being accepted? Don't think so. That's why it's not a race thing, it's a performance thing..

Mike 1967

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

Your the one with his head in the sand.

I didn't have a problem with Quincy.....I had a problem with fans like you that put a race banner around this whole issue.

You can't see reality through your racial bias.

The hypocrisy kills me. People like you stand up on the street corners and shout RACISM..RACISM....and wonder why we look at you so stangely and just shake our heads.

I'll give you a hint.....we are shaking our heads because we do see it.....we just can't figure out why you don't....since you obviously hate it so much.

Go ahead and keep living in your own little make believe world.

I'm sure deep down you believe that Carter did drugs because he is a black man in a white mans world. It's the white mans fault.

It's hard to learn from your mistakes when you always have an excuse.

Jack

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

He had a hard time winning me over because he was inconsistent. Up, Down, cry and whine.

Q had his chance and probably more than he deserved. He was weighed and measured and found wanting.

End of story.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I sat in the Alamodome and heard two fans in front of me say "There has never been a good black QB because the only thing them monkeys is good for is running and jumping".

I guess that comment had nothing to do with race, since racism doesn't exist in Texas. Its not like black men in Texas are draged behind pickups or anything.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Rocco said:
I don't think so, man. Especially not in Dallas. Hell, where I grew up in south Dallas, I was the only white guy in my neighborhood. You think if Michael Vick was playing in Dallas he would have a hard time being accepted? Don't think so. That's why it's not a race thing, it's a performance thing..

I grew up in south Dallas too. Oak Cliff. I also lived in east Texas and saw a BIG difference. I'm not saying that race kept him from being the starter, I'm just saying that it helped contribute to some fans in Texas from accepting him.

The Realist

Reaction score
Thank God Doug Williams never faced any racism in Tampa or Washington. Culpepper is lucky he was drafted by Minnesota where the majority of the population is African-American. There are no backwards thinking, narrow-minded, klan members in the culural melting pot of Tennessee where McNair makes his living. Racism in Georgia and Michael Vick? Hah! Doesn't exist. Louisiana and Aaron Brooks. Please! It is a well documented fact that racism doesn't exist anywhere outside of Texas and Quincy was doomed from the start because of it.

[Sarcasm off]

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
Your the one with his head in the sand.

I didn't have a problem with Quincy.....I had a problem with fans like you that put a race banner around this whole issue.

You can't see reality through your racial bias.

The hypocrisy kills me. People like you stand up on the street corners and shout RACISM..RACISM....and wonder why we look at you so stangely and just shake our heads.

I'll give you a hint.....we are shaking our heads because we do see it.....we just can't figure out why you don't....since you obviously hate it so much.

Go ahead and keep living in your own little make believe world.

I'm sure deep down you believe that Carter did drugs because he is a black man in a white mans world. It's the white mans fault.

It's hard to learn from your mistakes when you always have an excuse.

I'm not the one swinging the race banner. You are. You haven't even addressed my other issues. You just picked the race card like that was my main argument, which it wasn't.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
The Realist said:
Thank God Doug Williams never faced any racism in Tampa or Washington. Culpepper is lucky he was drafted by Minnesota where the majority of the population is African-American. There are no backwards thinking, narrow-minded, klan members in the culural melting pot of Tennessee where McNair makes his living. Racism in Georgia and Michael Vick? Hah! Doesn't exist. Louisiana and Aaron Brooks. Please! It is a well documented fact that racism doesn't exist anywhere outside of Texas and Quincy was doomed from the start because of it.

[Sarcasm off]

Well stated.

I was born and bred in Texas but spent 4 years of my life in Boston.

If you want to see real racism just move up to Boston proper.

They have a section for blacks, Irish, Italians, Jews, etc. I never saw anything like it. And trust me, white folks did not have a monopoly on racism.....it was an equally shared trait.

LesPaul

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Texas is no different than any other part of the nation when it comes to race.

It was Alabama or Ark that in 2000 they made it legal for whites and blacks to marry.

I'm sorry but it is not the same everywhere. SAD BUT TRUE

Mike 1967

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm not the one swinging the race banner. You are. You haven't even addressed my other issues. You just picked the race card like that was my main argument, which it wasn't.

I didn't waste my time with the peripheral issue's.....I went right to the heart of the matter. The fuel that burns your fire.

Now that I have called you out and revealed your hypocrisy you want to hide your true motivation. I can't blame you.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Do you live in texas? BTW, i think there is probably almost as much african americans as americans in dallas...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy, you make some good points.

I agree with your thoughts that Quincy Carter was never really given a chance. However, he was never really given a "Chance" with the fans and the media, but he was definately given a chance to prove himself on the field.

Remember, Bill Parcells could have cut Quincy Carter last year and nobody would have said anything. All the media out here in Dallas just assumed he would be released after the 2002 Season. Bill Parcells wiped his slate clean, opened up the Starting Quarterback Job for competition and Carter was given a chance to live up to that 2nd Round Draft pick back in 2001.

So with regards to chances, no the Media never game him a chance, but on the field, I strongly feel he was given every opportunity to be the Quarterback of the future. Remember, Jerry actually got rid of Tony Banks, mainly to start Carter and to prove he was right in picking Quincy Carter.

So on the field, he was given a chance.

As far as Racism, as a black man who has lived in Dallas my whole life, I have had this conversation with many folks.

I personally beleive that most people didnt like Carter because of his play on the field. I feel there was definately a segment of the Cowboy population that hated Carter because of his color, I know because I have debated them at the many games I have attended and at work. Dallas was known for years as "The City of Hate" and is still trying to brush off that image (a good article was written a while back about this).

However, I fully beleive that if Steve Mcnair or Michael Vick and even Byron Leftwich were to come here, I honestly beleive most fans would be fully open to the idea and would welcome them with open arms.

I wrote an article about the fickle and sometimes violent relationship the Cowboys fans have had with their QBs. I just dont Carter was treated any worse than the guys in past, and some of those guys actually had skins on the wall.

Here is the article, JFY: FICKLE COWBOY FANS

- Mike G.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
RW31 said:
Do you live in texas? BTW, i think there is probably almost as much african americans as americans in dallas...

Huh?

Dallas is just like most cities in America. It has poor parts, which most of the minorities live and rich parts. There is segregation, but mainly due to economics.

The poor sections of Dallas are South, East and West Dallas. The rich part of Dallas is in the nortth. No surprise here, North Dallas Forty!!!!

I bet most cities in America are similar.

- Mike G.