I find these basic schemes insulting

Hadenough

Reaction score
This coaching staff intentionally runs basic and easy schemes that even the opposing team can figure out what they are doing.

Sam darnold said it best when he said the cowboys “play like they always do” and that he knew what he had to do to win.

It’s been on record that this coaching a staff believes that hustling and winning 1 on 1 matchups is key to how the cowboys play/win football games.

My question is why? Are the players on the team not smart enough and have to play in a scheme where everything is “in front” of them and rely on athleticism?

Are the coaches using these basic schemes because they are not smart enough and don’t know any other way to play football?

Lazy or incompetent? Take your pick.
Garrett doesnt believe in scheming for opponents. I heard two ex NFL players discussing this years ago. They said not many teams can run an offense like that because it requires a lot of talent. They play the same every week and tweak things a little but it's pretty much the same. The only other team in the league at the time of this discussion doing what the Cowboys do is the Steelers. This tells me Garrett is just flat out lazy and doesnt want to get into preparing the team for different opponents or he doesnt know how.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
It all came down to the salary cap. The 90's team didn't have one and we bought up all the talent. Our backups were good enough to make another team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s pretty simple. Our coaches simply think talent for talent, were the best in the league. Our best will always top their best. They keep it simple because talent trumps all to them.

Bottom line ... they are wrong.

BBDB defense.

I’ve hoped they would #FireMarinelli but he hangs on somehow.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Garrett doesnt believe in scheming for opponents. I heard two ex NFL players discussing this years ago. They said not many teams can run an offense like that because it requires a lot of talent. They play the same every week and tweak things a little but it's pretty much the same. The only other team in the league at the time of this discussion doing what the Cowboys do is the Steelers. This tells me Garrett is just flat out lazy and doesnt want to get into preparing the team for different opponents or he doesnt know how.

Good post.

This is certainly true for the defense .

Haimerej

Reaction score
A lot of buzz words being tossed out in this thread. Nothing of any actual substance though. From what I gather, you guys believe, "simple," means, "bad."

Can anyone elaborate on what exactly is bad about what they're doing?

You guys realize that SEA defense under Carroll is simple, right? Richard was put aside partly because of his more aggressive playcalling. Aggressive playcalling on defense is nice when it works, but prone to big plays when it doesn't. Have we forgotten Rob Ryan?

I think it's pretty self evident we don't want to see our secondary manned up all the time, especially since our corners don't have the wherewithal to play the ball. Same guys who want to get rid of Heath are clamoring for more blitzing which will put a greater responsibility on our safeties.

Regarding the offense- they haven't been out schemed the last 3 weeks. They've been dropping passes and turning the ball over. When they haven't been killing their own drives with mistakes, they're generally moving the ball and scoring.