I guess Dak Prescott is gonna be the Cowboys Quarterback next year

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not trying to convince you. Im asking for your explanation why when we could trade back, get multiple picks, stack the Defense with young talent thats here the next 4 to 5 years depending on when there drafted? I want to understand where you are coming from, not argue.

I’m not against going defense either. I’m just trying to be pragmatic.

if you are #1 overall pick and have a shot at an elite QB prospect. One of the best in years. That doesn’t happen often in the NFL. So it’s hard to pass up. It’s not going to happen anyway so it’s kind of a moot point. But I’m just saying.

A lot of this depends on how negotiations go with Dak prior to draft time? During the draft is Dak still on the tag? Is he resigned long term? Those are going to be key factors regardless too.

As it stands now. If the cowboys don’t have a top 2 pick and a shot at one of the two top QB prospects. I don’t draft a QB. I go defense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With this win, the race for Trevor Lawrence is over.

Still in play for Justin Fields, but it's a pretty huge longshot.

Dalton is gonna have to compete for the backup job vs Gilbert next year. I personally think Gilbert's loss to the Steelers is more impressive than Dalton's merely decent win over the Vikings.

Sorry, crybabies :popcorn:
Dalton isn't under contract next year, so it's not certain he will even be in the race for the backup spot.

garyo1954

Reaction score
7d029ca10f7cad1fdacc6fb7345dbb6d.gif

Hadenough

Reaction score
With this win, the race for Trevor Lawrence is over.

Still in play for Justin Fields, but it's a pretty huge longshot.

Dalton is gonna have to compete for the backup job vs Gilbert next year. I personally think Gilbert's loss to the Steelers is more impressive than Dalton's merely decent win over the Vikings.

Sorry, crybabies :popcorn:
Well its not like were not used to 8-8.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not getting into any Dak debate, but I doubt Dallas would have picked number one anyway.

The Jets are staring at 0-16 and the Jaguars will probably be 1-15. Dallas' win over the Vikings will just push them into the 6-10 range in the first round depending on how many more games they win.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score

if you are #1 overall pick and have a shot at an elite QB prospect. One of the best in years. That doesn’t happen often in the NFL. So it’s hard to pass up. It’s not going to happen anyway so it’s kind of a moot point. But I’m just saying.

A lot of this depends on how negotiations go with Dak prior to draft time? During the draft is Dak still on the tag? Is he resigned long term? Those are going to be key factors regardless too.

As it stands now. If the cowboys don’t have a top 2 pick and a shot at one of the two top QB prospects. I don’t draft a QB. I go defense.
Agree with you but I take it a step further and say if we don't have the #1 pick and can't get Lawrence I would go defense if we can't get Sewell. The jury is still out with Fields for me.

jnday

Reaction score
Facts. The cap doesn't matter. ITs been proven time and time again you can restructure deals to get under the cap. I'm not worried about it. Y'all have to quit this living in fear. In fear of your own shadow.........
A lot of us wants to draft a new QB, but many fans are scared to move on and accept Dak. They are scared of failure to the point that they oppose any attempt to upgrade the position. Now that’s real fear.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Should Dallas go offensive tackle though if Smith can't play? I'm thinking no. They can stick with Zack Martin at right tackle and shift La'el Collins to the left side; or maybe even try Martin on the left. Both played there in college.

jnday

Reaction score

It is just bad luck that this draft doesn’t have blue chip defensive talent this year to spend a top five pick on. They definitely need defense or a top offensive tackle. The offensive tackle was within reach until this recent win. If they can find a partner, trading back to accumulate picks to be used on defense would probably be the smart move instead of drafting second round defensive talent with a top ten pick just to say that they are addressing defense. It would be a waste to draft for need and reach. It would also not help the real problem, which is upgrading the defense.

jnday

Reaction score
Should Dallas go offensive tackle though if Smith can't play? I'm thinking no. They can stick with Zack Martin at right tackle and shift La'el Collins to the left side; or maybe even try Martin on the left. Both played there in college.
Martin has had his issues with injuries and they will only increase as he ages. If a top offensive tackle is within reach, they should definitely draft him instead of allowing the oline to continue to decline.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
It is just bad luck that this draft doesn’t have blue chip defensive talent this year to spend a top five pick on. They definitely need defense or a top offensive tackle. The offensive tackle was within reach until this recent win. If they can find a partner, trading back to accumulate picks to be used on defense would probably be the smart move instead of drafting second round defensive talent with a top ten pick just to say that they are addressing defense. It would be a waste to draft for need and reach. It would also not help the real problem, which is upgrading the defense.

If Dallas has a top five pick they have to go best player available regardless of position. I wouldn't trade down unless a number one in 2022 is part of the deal. CeeDee Lamb is proof you don't have to draft for need in order to hit it big on a draft choice.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A lot of us wants to draft a new QB, but many fans are scared to move on and accept Dak. They are scared of failure to the point that they oppose any attempt to upgrade the position. Now that’s real fear.
Not scared of failure I'm just being realist. Chances of you getting another Dak are slim.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not scared of failure I'm just being realist. Chances of you getting another Dak are slim.

I agree. Dak Prescott is the Cowboys' best option. The quarterbacks in the upcoming draft could be better; or they could be more examples of Mitch Trubisky, Marcus Mariota, Josh Rosen, Paxton Lynch, Jameis Winston, or Dwayne Haskins.

Be careful what you wish for Cowboys fans, because Prescott was having an MVP-calibar season behind a patchwork offensive line and with zero support from a defense that was historically bad in the five games he played.

If Dallas builds around him instead of starting over from scratch with an unknown commodity at QB; they'll contend in 2021 and beyond.