I guess I am a stupid homer who drank Kool-Aid

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
But I am excited about this team and the draft.

Our secondary was a problem last year. So we drafted Jenkins and traded for PacMan. Bam. Youth, depth, and talent at a position that needs it.

We needed a RB. Garrett gets a versatile new tool for the offense. To boot, he adds speed and a homerun threat. And he can KR. Bam

And while I didn't particularly care for a TE in round 2, Bennett wasa good value there. And while it seems like we've been down this road before, I think Garrett can make this work better than Parcells did. I guess this was more of a statement about the Fasano pick than the idea of using 2 TEs...

Flame away, whatever.

But I am looking forward to seeing what these guys can bring to this team next year.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Vintage;2055374 said:

Our secondary was a problem last year. So we drafted Jenkins and traded for PacMan. Bam. Youth, depth, and talent at a position that needs it.

We needed a RB. Garrett gets a versatile new tool for the offense. To boot, he adds speed and a homerun threat. And he can KR. Bam

And while I didn't particularly care for a TE in round 2, Bennett wasa good value there. And while it seems like we've been down this road before, I think Garrett can make this work better than Parcells did. I guess this was more of a statement about the Fasano pick than the idea of using 2 TEs...

Flame away, whatever.

But I am looking forward to seeing what these guys can bring to this team next year.

Nice post dude, I luv what we did also....

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Vintage;2055374 said:

Flame away, whatever.

I'll be honest, I'm not at all thrilled with the draft so far (Other than Jenkins. I wanted to cry when the Cards took Cromartie).

I sooooo hope I'm wrong. Bennett seems like a good athlete. I just hate the fact that we used yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE. Backup OT? Great! Backup QB? Eh I wouldn't be thrilled but it would make sense. Back up DE? Sure! But a back up TE? It's hard to get behind that one when a short 24 hours ago we traded our last backup TE (whom, coincidentally, we wasted another 2nd round pick on).

Passing on the consensus second best RB in the draft to draft a guy that doesn't seem to have the ability to carry the load, in the event of an Barber injury (admitted by Jones himself in his mid draft interview), is crazy to me. We took a lower ranked player that is at MOST a role player and left the second highest rated RB (behind only McFadden) sitting on the board.

Sorry, but it's hard to get excited about that mentality.

Like I said before I hope I'm wrong. I'm hope I'm wrong wrong wrong. But it sure doesn't feel like it right now.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055451 said:
I'll be honest, I'm not at all thrilled with the draft so far (Other than Jenkins. I wanted to cry when the Cards took Cromartie).

I sooooo hope I'm wrong. Bennett seems like a good athlete. I just hate the fact that we used yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE. Backup OT? Great! Backup QB? Eh I wouldn't be thrilled but it would make sense. Back up DE? Sure! But a back up TE? It's hard to get behind that one when a short 24 hours ago we traded our last backup TE (whom, coincidentally, we wasted another 2nd round pick on).

Passing on the consensus second best RB in the draft to draft a guy that doesn't seem to have the ability to carry the load, in the event of an Barber injury (admitted by Jones himself in his mid draft interview), is crazy to me. We took a lower ranked player that is at MOST a role player and left the second highest rated RB (behind only McFadden) sitting on the board.

Like I said before I hope I'm wrong. I'm hope I'm wrong wrong wrong. But it sure doesn't feel like it right now.

I think this is the worst mentality to have

draft in case of injury

elcocinero

Reaction score
Some people act like this draft was the end of the world. You soon forget we re-signed all of our key free agents. These draft picks just add to the team that we had last year.

We still have time to draft or sign a WR that can compete for some playing time, and the rest of the draft to find some depth.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I like the draft so far. If they feel FJ is the best fit, and we get a thunder/lightning thing going, great! Reese and Casserly both thought Jenkins was the best CB in the draft. The TE has a TON of potential. Then we have Pac. I see this as a VERY good day!

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I am happy. When you consider Pacman as a 4th, this draft is shaping up to be one of the better drafts this century. I am even optomistic about the new TE.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Vintage;2055374 said:

Not saying that we shouldn't have taken Mendenhall, but I think the Jones pick was more of them saying they are committed to Barber as their guy. I think that they wanted Jones because of his "homerun threat" in the open field and thinking they can use him in different ways. Mendenhall is a back comparable to Barber.

Maybe I'm wrong but I look at it like having the same type of WR. If you have 2 speed guys, it's harder to move the chains underneath. If you have 2 possesion guys, it's harder to stretch the field. You really need one of each to make things work easier.

The 2nd pick with Bennett. I'm like most here, just don't get that one. If he was the BPA, then trade down.

As for a vet WR...there's always June 1st cuts.

rw54

Reaction score

I agree completely with this. I'm not really against this draft but we had better there for us I think. Jenkins I think could be big time, however.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
I think the draft is going great because I think Felix is better than Reshard and I think Mike Jenkins is the best cb in the draft and Bennett is great so I don't see how I couldn't like the draft so far.Period point blank!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2055472 said:
I think this is the worst mentality to have

draft in case of injury

I don't think we should have drafted for injury. I think we should have taken the higher ranked RB, who coincidentally can carry the load in the event of an injury. The same can't be said of Jones.

I'm pretty sure I made that clear in the first post in case you need to read it again.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Gotta say I'm not overly thrilled. But I like the Jenkins pick. Jones is a so so pick, but once Stewart went at 13, I felt that it was a toss up as to who we would have taken.

I feel the whole TE musical chairs we have played is sort of stupid, but if this kid has that much potential, it could be worth it.

Gotta remember, if Pacman leaves the off field stuff behind, and he plays the way he is capable of, you can add him as another player we got through this draft.

As bad as the draft might look, I will concede that we now have at CB: Newman, Henry, Pacman, Jenkins.

Still some good players left on the board too.

Woods

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055540 said:
I don't think we should have drafted for injury. I think we should have taken the higher ranked RB, who coincidentally can carry the load in the event of an injury. The same can't be said of Jones.

I'm pretty sure I made that clear in the first post in case you need to read it again.

I'm guessing that we may pick up a veteran RB after the cuts. Oakland, for example, has an abundance of RBs.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Woods;2055570 said:
I'm guessing that we may pick up a veteran RB after the cuts. Oakland, for example, has an abundance of RBs.

That makes sense and we probably would have signed one regardless of who we drafted. I'm just not thrilled that Jones and Co. went against their own board to draft a one trick pony in the 1st round.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
Ashwynn;2055515 said:
I am happy. When you consider Pacman as a 4th, this draft is shaping up to be one of the better drafts this century. I am even optomistic about the new TE.

Everyone is comparing him to Fasano, but they aren't even close in comparison. Fasano was drafted because it would allow Witten to move out and let Fasano stay in and protect Bledsoe. Well, our line got better, Romo has pocket presence, so we don't need the typical two tight end set. Our new TE will be able to split out in the redzone and will be a mismatch for LBs and safeties.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055595 said:
That makes sense and we probably would have signed one regardless of who we drafted. I'm just not thrilled that Jones and Co. went against their own board to draft a one trick pony in the 1st round.

Felix Jones is a triple threat

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
So you are against the Bennett pick because we traded Fasano yesterday?

Would you have been against drafting a tackle if we traded McQuistan to Miami? If not, then I don't understand your rationale.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I really, really think everyone is going to be thrilled with Felix Jones.

He is a faster Julius Jones with instincts and more toughness.

The reason Julius failed, IMO, is that he had zero instincts, little balance and no strength. He just wasn't a good RB period, regardless of how much athletic ability he had.

Felix is not only a better athlete than Julius but he has all of the running back intincts that Julius so lacks. He'll follow his blocks, bounce it outside (or inside) at the right time, stay on his feet and flat out embarass some defenders.

He is going to change a lot of minds once the season starts, IMO.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
There's more than one way to skin a cat . Yeah Dallas didn't come away with a big fast wide receiver on day one , but they did come away with a big guy who can catch the ball . It's all about adding weapons for our franchise QB , and Bennett will be a weapon . Lets remember that Romo doesn't have a cannon arm and thrives more on accuracy . For an accurate QB , big receivers are lethal , even if that receiver is a TE .

As far as the Jones pick goes , I personally would have taken Mendenhall . I like Jones and think he'll do very well behind Barber , and will be very exciting to watch returning kicks . Still , I ask myself who I would choose between Barber and Jones , and I come away with Barber every time , and he was had for a 4th round pick . While I like Jones and understnd the pick , I didn't have him graded out any higher than J. Charles , F. Jones , or M. Forte .

I love the Jenkins pick , and can't believe Dallas got him . I just knew that was going to be a reach pick for Flowers , and was thrilled with the outcome .

I'd say I'm 50/50 on this draft so far . While I may have done it differently , I see all three of the picks contributing this year . In the end , that's all you can really ask .