I guess I am a stupid homer who drank Kool-Aid

skinsscalper

Reaction score
windward;2055606 said:
So you are against the Bennett pick because we traded Fasano yesterday?

Would you have been against drafting a tackle if we traded McQuistan to Miami? If not, then I don't understand your rationale.

The rationale, for me, was the fact that I hated the Fasano pick in the first place. Why? We had a Pro Bowler at the position already. There was no need to address that position with a 2nd round pick.

Fast Forward to yesterday. We end up trading that waste of a pick plus another starter for a measley 4th round pick. Basically confirming, what I knew two years ago, that the Fasano pick was a wasted pick.

Fast Forward one more time to today. How do we demonstrate that we've learned from such a horrible decision? Well, by golly we waste yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE.

Did that spell it out for you clearly enough?

As to the Mquistan question. Yes I would draft to fill a need at Tackle. I actually remember when our OT tackle play sucked balls. You might too if you think back ohhhhhh two years. You build teams around tackles. You don't build teams around TEs. Try an apples to apples comparison.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055666 said:
The rationale, for me, was the fact that I hated the Fasano pick in the first place. Why? We had a Pro Bowler at the position already. There was no need to address that position with a 2nd round pick.

Fast Forward to yesterday. We end up trading that waste of a pick plus another starter for a measley 4th round pick. Basically confirming, what I knew two years ago, that the Fasano pick was a wasted pick.

Fast Forward one more time to today. How do we demonstrate that we've learned from such a horrible decision? Well, by golly we waste yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE.

As to the Mquistan question. Yes I would draft to fill a need at Tackle. I actually remember when our OT tackle play sucked balls. You might too if you think back ohhhhhh two years. You build teams around tackles. You don't build teams around TEs. Try an apples to apples comparison.

maybe Fasano was a wasted pick because he didn't fit the new offense? not necessarily because he was a 2nd round pick when we already had a Pro Bowl TE

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jswalker1981;2055601 said:
Everyone is comparing him to Fasano, but they aren't even close in comparison. Fasano was drafted because it would allow Witten to move out and let Fasano stay in and protect Bledsoe. Well, our line got better, Romo has pocket presence, so we don't need the typical two tight end set. Our new TE will be able to split out in the redzone and will be a mismatch for LBs and safeties.

AsthmaField;2055611 said:
I really, really think everyone is going to be thrilled with Felix Jones.

He is a faster Julius Jones with instincts and more toughness.

The reason Julius failed, IMO, is that he had zero instincts, little balance and no strength. He just wasn't a good RB period, regardless of how much athletic ability he had.

Felix is not only a better athlete than Julius but he has all of the running back intincts that Julius so lacks. He'll follow his blocks, bounce it outside (or inside) at the right time, stay on his feet and flat out embarass some defenders.

He is going to change a lot of minds once the season starts, IMO.
:clap2:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055666 said:

where did I say we build a team around TEs?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2055685 said:
maybe Fasano was a wasted pick because he didn't fit the new offense? not necessarily because he was a 2nd round pick when we already had a Pro Bowl TE

Maybe, Bob. It still doesn't erase the taste of **** by spending yet another 2nd rounder on a backup TE a short two years later.

No two ways about that.

I've said it once (can't remember if it's this thread or another), I so hope I am wrong to the core. But right now it feels like a black blanket welcome at one our nations finest correctional facilities.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
windward;2055705 said:
where did I say we build a team around TEs?

I'm illustrating the difference of importance between a back up TE and a back up OT.

You asked about drafting a replacement for Mquistan if he were traded. Considering an OT's importance to the team, YES I would draft his replacement or upgrade his position. You asked for my reasoning behind replacing Mquistan but not replacing Fasano (which I never said we shouldn't do. We shouldn't do ti in the 2nd freaking round!). That's the reasoning. IMPORTANCE.

Get it now? OT more important than TE. Thus an urgency to solidify.

Please try and keep up.

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Ashwynn;2055515 said:
I am happy. When you consider Pacman as a 4th, this draft is shaping up to be one of the better drafts this century. I am even optomistic about the new TE.

:laugh2:

TEUFELI

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2055611 said:
I really, really think everyone is going to be thrilled with Felix Jones.

He is a faster Julius Jones with instincts and more toughness.

The reason Julius failed, IMO, is that he had zero instincts, little balance and no strength. He just wasn't a good RB period, regardless of how much athletic ability he had.

Felix is not only a better athlete than Julius but he has all of the running back intincts that Julius so lacks. He'll follow his blocks, bounce it outside (or inside) at the right time, stay on his feet and flat out embarass some defenders.

He is going to change a lot of minds once the season starts, IMO.

You know what...i havent liked the pick...but you may damn well be right

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055451 said:
I'll be honest, I'm not at all thrilled with the draft so far (Other than Jenkins. I wanted to cry when the Cards took Cromartie).

I sooooo hope I'm wrong. Bennett seems like a good athlete. I just hate the fact that we used yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE. Backup OT? Great! Backup QB? Eh I wouldn't be thrilled but it would make sense. Back up DE? Sure! But a back up TE? It's hard to get behind that one when a short 24 hours ago we traded our last backup TE (whom, coincidentally, we wasted another 2nd round pick on).

Passing on the consensus second best RB in the draft to draft a guy that doesn't seem to have the ability to carry the load, in the event of an Barber injury (admitted by Jones himself in his mid draft interview), is crazy to me. We took a lower ranked player that is at MOST a role player and left the second highest rated RB (behind only McFadden) sitting on the board.

Sorry, but it's hard to get excited about that mentality.

Like I said before I hope I'm wrong. I'm hope I'm wrong wrong wrong. But it sure doesn't feel like it right now.

If it makes you feel any better, you're wrong.:)

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055540 said:
I don't think we should have drafted for injury. I think we should have taken the higher ranked RB, who coincidentally can carry the load in the event of an injury. The same can't be said of Jones.

I'm pretty sure I made that clear in the first post in case you need to read it again.

Yea, and Mendenhall wasn't going to see much of the field UNLESS Barber did get hurt. You can't say the same thing about Felix Jones. He can be used in many way along with Barber rather than in place of him. That's smart.

Xy_Oldone

Reaction score
Well sue me but I am very happy with this draft. I like Felix better than any other RB on the board.

I sure thought we would take a reciever on the first day but am not upset we did not. I just do not think this is a great year for reciever. We got a very good rb and corner.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055755 said:
I'm illustrating the difference of importance between a back up TE and a back up OT.

You asked about drafting a replacement for Mquistan if he were traded. Considering an OT's importance to the team, YES I would draft his replacement or upgrade his position. You asked for my reasoning behind replacing Mquistan but not replacing Fasano (which I never said we shouldn't do. We shouldn't do ti in the 2nd freaking round!). That's the reasoning. IMPORTANCE.

Get it now? OT more important than TE. Thus an urgency to solidify.

Please try and keep up.
Bennett will get on the field. a backup OT likely won't, especially considerin we have Marten and Free waiting in the wings.

a backup OT would have actually been a worse pick here than Bennett, no matter how more important a tackle is than a TE.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I like all 3 picks. TSN rated Jenkins the #1 cb, Jones was the #2 ranked rb, and TSN rated Bennett the #1 te. I would of preferred Mendenhall over Jones, but I understand the Cowboys taking Jones due to Jones having more versatility than Mendenhall. Jones is alittle more explosive and he has outstanding kickoff return ability, plus he catches the ball out of the backfield probably alittle more consistantly than Mendenhall.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nice post Vintage.

Let me start by talking about the TE. I like Bennett, but I never suspected we would draft a TE. Not even after trading Fasano. The reason is because Curtis seemed quite capable when he filled in. It almost looks like when Bennett came for his visit to VR that Jerry got man love. Then someone asked him what about Fasano, and so he could justify taking Bennett he had to trade Fasano.

Now understand something. I have no issue with trading backup players. But if we were going to want a TE to backup Witten other than Curtis I just don't understand why we didn't just hang onto Fasano and draft another need.

If Bennett is better than Fasano then great. I am all for it. It just looks funny in a heavy handed GM kind of way.

I have no issue with Felix Jones at all. Not even at 22. Not even over Mendenhall. I would have been just as happy with Jamaal Charles in the 2nd round, but the reason I am excited about Felix is more as a Kick Returner than as a backup RB. I am very hopeful that our special teams additions of Jones and Jones give us better field position than we have enjoyed in years. The shorter the field, the more potent our offense. Felix and Pacman are definite improvements over what we had last year and I think Felix is a potential improvement over Julius.

I make no bones about wanting Antoine Cason. But I tried to make sure people knew I was going to be just as happy with Talib, Cromartie, Jenkins, Flowers, or McKelvin. It's really just this simple for me. Pacman and Jenkins only need to be better than Reeves and Nate Jones and we are improved. I'd say mission accomplished.

Now, what about day 2? There are 2 players I'd really like and one I think we will definitely will get.

I'd be thrilled to see Markus Monk in the 3rd and my kid Owen Schmitt in the 4th. I will not be at all shocked if we get Tommy Blake, DE, TCU. I think they are very high on him.

Everyone knows I wanted Roy Williams. Still do. But I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and throw a tantrum. It takes two to tango and it's obvious Detroit just didn't want to dance. So be it. I'd love to get him in a trade before TC starts, but don't really want him before the trade deadline. I'd like for him to have time to build chemistry with Romo, not be playin gcatchup at half the season gone.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
windward;2055817 said:
Bennett will get on the field. a backup OT likely won't, especially considerin we have Marten and Free waiting in the wings.

a backup OT would have actually been a worse pick here than Bennett, no matter how more important a tackle is than a TE.

Wow! Do you ride the short bus or something? I never said we should draft an OT. Are you even following your own conversation?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Hostile;2055857 said:
Nice post Vintage.

Let me start by talking about the TE. I like Bennett, but I never suspected we would draft a TE. Not even after trading Fasano. The reason is because Curtis seemed quite capable when he filled in. It almost looks like when Bennett came for his visit to VR that Jerry got man love. Then someone asked him what about Fasano, and so he could justify taking Bennett he had to trade Fasano.

Now understand something. I have no issue with trading backup players. But if we were going to want a TE to backup Witten other than Curtis I just don't understand why we didn't just hang onto Fasano and draft another need.

If Bennett is better than Fasano then great. I am all for it. It just looks funny in a heavy handed GM kind of way.

I have no issue with Felix Jones at all. Not even at 22. Not even over Mendenhall. I would have been just as happy with Jamaal Charles in the 2nd round, but the reason I am excited about Felix is more as a Kick Returner than as a backup RB. I am very hopeful that our special teams additions of Jones and Jones give us better field position than we have enjoyed in years. The shorter the field, the more potent our offense. Felix and Pacman are definite improvements over what we had last year and I think Felix is a potential improvement over Julius.

I make no bones about wanting Antoine Cason. But I tried to make sure people knew I was going to be just as happy with Talib, Cromartie, Jenkins, Flowers, or McKelvin. It's really just this simple for me. Pacman and Jenkins only need to be better than Reeves and Nate Jones and we are improved. I'd say mission accomplished.

Now, what about day 2? There are 2 players I'd really like and one I think we will definitely will get.

I'd be thrilled to see Markus Monk in the 3rd and my kid Owen Schmitt in the 4th. I will not be at all shocked if we get Tommy Blake, DE, TCU. I think they are very high on him.

Everyone knows I wanted Roy Williams. Still do. But I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and throw a tantrum. It takes two to tango and it's obvious Detroit just didn't want to dance. So be it. I'd love to get him in a trade before TC starts, but don't really want him before the trade deadline. I'd like for him to have time to build chemistry with Romo, not be playin gcatchup at half the season gone.

Good post.

Jones & Jones, I like it!!!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055866 said:
Wow! Do you ride the short bus or something? I never said we should draft an OT. Are you even following your own conversation?
I never said that you said we should draft an OT. You did mention that it would be a preferable option to drafting a backup TE.

BTW, throwing around tired insults like asking if I ride "the short bus" is not exactly an effective argumentative technique. If anything it makes you sound like a middle schooler.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Hostile;2055857 said:
Nice post Vintage.

Hos, I reallly think we'll get Roy in FA next year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
windward;2055899 said:
Hos, I reallly think we'll get Roy in FA next year.
I'm greedy. I wanted him now. Best possible way to put us over the top right now.

I now am forced to hope Terry Glenn can return. That's a mighty iffy thing to hope for.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
Put Jones & Jones in on kickoffs and the opposing team may elect to kick it out of bounds and give us the 40 yard line. :laugh2: