I guess I am a stupid homer who drank Kool-Aid

CPonder14

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;2055910 said:
Put Jones & Jones in on kickoffs and the opposing team may elect to kick it out of bounds and give us the 40 yard line. :laugh2:

Only thing that sucks is now they are going to have to have their first initial on their jerseys.

F. JONES

what about Pacman?

P. JONES
or
A. JONES

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Hostile;2055909 said:
I'm greedy. I wanted him now. Best possible way to put us over the top right now.

I now am forced to hope Terry Glenn can return. That's a mighty iffy thing to hope for.

Yeah I kinda wanted him this year as well.

Oh well, hopefully the additions of Jones and Bennett plus the defensive improvements are enough to put us in the Super Bowl.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
windward;2055933 said:
Yeah I kinda wanted him this year as well.

Oh well, hopefully the additions of Jones and Bennett plus the defensive improvements are enough to put us in the Super Bowl.
Maybe I'll start hoping for a backup QB tomorrow. That might cheer me up.

:grin:

Woods

Reaction score
Hostile;2055909 said:
I'm greedy. I wanted him now. Best possible way to put us over the top right now.

I now am forced to hope Terry Glenn can return. That's a mighty iffy thing to hope for.

I wish we had just 1 additional pick tomorrow.

I'd love to get a WR, FB, NT, and one LB tomorrow.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Woods;2055958 said:
I wish we had just 1 additional pick tomorrow.

I'd love to get a WR, FB, NT, and one LB tomorrow.
If we get Owen Schmitt the whole weekend is perfect for me.

:wink2:

DallasFanSince86

Pessimism Sucks
Reaction score
Vintage;2055374 said:
But I am excited about this team and the draft.

Our secondary was a problem last year. So we drafted Jenkins and traded for PacMan. Bam. Youth, depth, and talent at a position that needs it.

We needed a RB. Garrett gets a versatile new tool for the offense. To boot, he adds speed and a homerun threat. And he can KR. Bam

And while I didn't particularly care for a TE in round 2, Bennett wasa good value there. And while it seems like we've been down this road before, I think Garrett can make this work better than Parcells did. I guess this was more of a statement about the Fasano pick than the idea of using 2 TEs...

Flame away, whatever.

But I am looking forward to seeing what these guys can bring to this team next year.

I agree. I haven't been home all day so I haven't seen any of the draft, but every chance I got to get to a computer to see what was going on I took it. So far I can't complain about any of the picks.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
From all I have seen and read, Mendenhall's biggest negatives were his pass blocking and his receiving skills. That's a poor combination for a third down back. Maybe he would be a better choice as a pure backup, but haven't some of us been lamenting, for years, the lack of a Preston Pearson type player. Jones could be that guy. Pearson wasn't a long-term alternative to Tony Dorsett, but he was extremely valuable -- in the end, more valuable than any pure backup.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
shaketiller;2056154 said:
From all I have seen and read, Mendenhall's biggest negatives were his pass blocking and his receiving skills. That's a poor combination for a third down back. Maybe he would be a better choice as a pure backup, but haven't some of us been lamenting, for years, the lack of a Preston Pearson type player. Jones could be that guy. Pearson wasn't a long-term alternative to Tony Dorsett, but he was extremely valuable -- in the end, more valuable than any pure backup.
If Mendenhall was so great how comes 22 teams passed on him? Including some that really needed RB.

I liked him, but let's not go overboard.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Hos, I agree with that. Was there anything that people were questioning on him? I didn't see that drop for him and teams that needed RB just let him go right by.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Yep. Mendenhall's game has holes. He is inexperienced in a lot of the things NFL backs are compelled to do. He's a spread offense guy as well. Jones is considered a willing and pretty capable pass protector and an explosive, dependable receiver. I don't mean to knock Mendenhall. He looks to be a good prospect. But I can see Jones making some unforgettable plays, filling a valuable role, and helping immensely on special teams. He is a gunner as well as a kick returner.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
headhunterroy05;2056170 said:
Hos, I agree with that. Was there anything that people were questioning on him? I didn't see that drop for him and teams that needed RB just let him go right by.
I'm not sure. The only thing I ever heard was "is he a 1 year wonder?"

Maybe that had a bigger impact than we know.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Hostile;2056161 said:
If Mendenhall was so great how comes 22 teams passed on him? Including some that really needed RB.

I liked him, but let's not go overboard.

Tis the season.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
One other quick point: My complaint in the past wasn't so much that the Cowboys chose "backup" players. It was that they reached to choose players purely because of their special teams potential. Jones certainly was no reach. Neither was Bennett. Did a backup TE excite me? No. But Bennett was no reach, has enormous potential, and could play an important role.

The Cowboys have a good football team. The better the team, the less likely it will be choosing players seen as "likely" rookie starters.

MONT17

Reaction score
skinsscalper;2055666 said:
The rationale, for me, was the fact that I hated the Fasano pick in the first place. Why? We had a Pro Bowler at the position already. There was no need to address that position with a 2nd round pick.

Fast Forward to yesterday. We end up trading that waste of a pick plus another starter for a measley 4th round pick. Basically confirming, what I knew two years ago, that the Fasano pick was a wasted pick.

Fast Forward one more time to today. How do we demonstrate that we've learned from such a horrible decision? Well, by golly we waste yet another 2nd round pick on a back up TE.

Did that spell it out for you clearly enough?

As to the Mquistan question. Yes I would draft to fill a need at Tackle. I actually remember when our OT tackle play sucked balls. You might too if you think back ohhhhhh two years. You build teams around tackles. You don't build teams around TEs. Try an apples to apples comparison.

You cant say it much better than that... Jerry wanted us to say WOW!!! I was saying WOW all day long!

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Vintage;2055374 said:
But I am excited about this team and the draft.

Our secondary was a problem last year. So we drafted Jenkins and traded for PacMan. Bam. Youth, depth, and talent at a position that needs it.

We needed a RB. Garrett gets a versatile new tool for the offense. To boot, he adds speed and a homerun threat. And he can KR. Bam

And while I didn't particularly care for a TE in round 2, Bennett wasa good value there. And while it seems like we've been down this road before, I think Garrett can make this work better than Parcells did. I guess this was more of a statement about the Fasano pick than the idea of using 2 TEs...

Flame away, whatever.

But I am looking forward to seeing what these guys can bring to this team next year.

Good post!

The Cowboys should use the Giants as their model.

NY won with young players playing key roles as the season progressed. Guys like Jenkins, Jones, and Bennett can have the same impact in 2008 without having to be first day starters.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2055494 said:
I like the draft so far. If they feel FJ is the best fit, and we get a thunder/lightning thing going, great! Reese and Casserly both thought Jenkins was the best CB in the draft. The TE has a TON of potential. Then we have Pac. I see this as a VERY good day!
This is what most Posters don't get!.