I had an interesting conversation about Free

tunahelper

Reaction score
There is a sales rep who is recently retired NFL tackle. He was a career backup and borderline roster guy, but he played close to ten years.

Since he played tackle I asked him about Doug Free and how is it he regressed.

His answer suprised me and he said it could be PED's, but probably confidence. He said the shifting from side to side is very difficult and not many people even attempt it as a full time starter.

Your technique becomes shifted and when your results slip you begin guessing on the pass rushers and second guessing yourself. So in way our moving of Free may have caused the problems.

erod

Reaction score
But he was so good at RT three years ago substituting for Columbo, they gave him a big contract. Makes no sense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
tunahelper;5076470 said:
There is a sales rep who is recently retired NFL tackle. He was a career backup and borderline roster guy, but he played close to ten years.

His answer suprised me and he said it could be PED's, but probably confidence. He said the shifting from side to side is very difficult and not many people even attempt it as a full time starter.

Your technique becomes shifted and when your results slip you begin guessing on the pass rushers and second guessing yourself. So in way our moving of Free may have caused the problems.
He also has a different OL coach teaching different techniques from what Houck taught him. He definitely lost a lot of confidence and his technique is all screwed up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
tunahelper;5076470 said:

The bold is what i've always thought.

I don't agree about the technique stuff. Although it does suck.

This guy was a swing tackle before he ever got a starting job and has gotten a ton of reps on boths side of the ball both Part & Full time.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
At this point I am considering it is both a change of blocking techniques and PEDs.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
MonsterD;5076480 said:
At this point I am considering it is both a change of blocking techniques and PEDs.

What is PEDs?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MonsterD;5076480 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Safety Roy Williams was on them too.

Went from a Demarcus Ware of the secondary to a disaster.

conner01

Reaction score
pretty serious accusation based on no proof at all
if it's peds then would'nt he be getting better. not worse

NJ22

Reaction score
Problem is he was very good in 2010 at left tackle, and was awful in 2011 at Left Tackle. That is why they moved him to right in 2012 where he stunk too.

tunahelper;5076470 said:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
conner01;5076489 said:

Well they would mean he was on peds, and now he isn't on them so he has gotten worse cause he isn't on them anymore.

But I do totally agree with the other statement, this is a pretty serious accusation to be handing out on someone, and I'm not willing to do that, its like accusing the treasurer of stealing money, you just don't do that without any proof at all.

Its an interesting thought, but no credence should be given to it at all.

Titleist

Reaction score
So they don't test for PED's in the NFL? Geez, I wonder how many players actually use them...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
conner01;5076489 said:

There is no proof and never been presented as such but when a 27 year old suddenly loses power and agility then it's not an outlandish thought.

Lazy, lacks confidence, etc. There are other explanations as well.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Titleist;5076513 said:
So they don't test for PED's in the NFL? Geez, I wonder how many players actually use them...

They do but it is so easy to circumvent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
erod;5076473 said:
But he was so good at RT three years ago substituting for Columbo, they gave him a big contract. Makes no sense.

Not really. He was OK in a very limited test case study. Honestly, I never thought he was a RT.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
NJ22;5076490 said:
Problem is he was very good in 2010 at left tackle, and was awful in 2011 at Left Tackle. That is why they moved him to right in 2012 where he stunk too.

I don't agree with this. He ws very good when he had a solid Guard in Kosier playing next to him. He was not nearly as good once Kosier was flipped to the other side/went down with injury. I don't believe that the reason he was moved was because Smith was better or he was worse. I think it was done because they thought Smith would be a great LT and so far, that hasn't happened.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If it was peds it looks like he would be getting smaller not bigger. The guy's technique has been so bad it makes him look weak. But he's just losing leverage. When run blocking he does well, showing some power.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
tunahelper;5076470 said:

I think there have been hints from both Garrett and Houck that Free was having some sort of confidence issues. We've heard several times that he works very hard.