I hadn't known Deion's history

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
I had never read much about Deion's impact on the Cowboys until tonight. This whole little Owens fetish all makes sense now. In a number of respects Sanders just sees himself.

Everything that Irvin and Troy were in terms of team and practice and work---Sanders was opposite.

It really sounds like he was as much a part of the team demise as he was with any of it's success. You might even say he was a trojan horse that led to the downfall of the franchise. Tease you with his talent, kill the whole team with his worthless influence.

They say Sanders was just a lazy, apathetic slacker who blew about everything and everyone off. Switzer was the enabler. Sound familiar?

Aikman viewed the guy's influence as poison on the younger players.

Excerpts from Jeff Pearlman's book:

For all his Jim Thorpe-esque skills, Sanders was sleeping-dog lazy. In practices, he went all-out every third or fourth play and refused to wear shoulder pads because, he would say, "I'm not gonna tackle anyone anyway." In meeting rooms, he was known to doodle and doze off. Told early on that Cowboys who refused to participate in the team's weight training regimen would be fined, Sanders dramatically whipped out his checkbook and jotted down a five-digit figure.

When Mike Woicik, the team's gruff strength and conditioning coach, complained about Sanders' indifference, Switzer sided with his new star. "We're talking about Deion Sanders here," Switzer told Woicik. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to."

Woicik was speechless. Credited by many players as a key to the back-to-back Super Bowls, Woicik was a no-nonsense taskmaster who demanded maximum effort. "For Mike, anything short of a funeral was an unacceptable excuse to miss a session," says Kevin Smith. "Mike had the personality of a lamp, but if you had to bench press he knew exactly how many you were supposed to do. When you came in and you didn't do it, he'd say, 'You were out f-----' around last night. You must've been drinking last night. You must have been drinking two nights ago.' He'd be pissed. He wouldn't speak to you for a week. If you tested on the bench and you didn't make it, he wouldn't say a word to you for a whole week until you came in and did it. That's how he was. Your goals were his goals."

Throughout the locker room, Woicik was as respected as any Cowboy coach or official. And Deion Sanders had the nerve to treat him … like this?

Who were the Dallas Cowboys becoming?

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

Seeing that the Cowboys' defensive back meetings lasted significantly longer than they had in Atlanta or San Francisco, Sanders took a page out of the Barry Bonds Playbook by investing in a black leather executive's chair and rolling it into the conference room. As his peers sat in standard metal folding chairs, Sanders lounged in comfort. "Guys thought that was kind of funny," says Schwantz. "Maybe not right -- but funny."

Although most veterans accepted Sanders' ego and indifference in exchange for the promise of otherworldly play, Aikman -- who had offered to defer part of his salary to help Dallas afford the defensive back -- was disgusted. It was bad enough Switzer approached discipline as if he were the proprietor of the Moonlite Bunny Ranch. Now here was "Neon Deion," teaching via example that image is everything and practice is overrated. From across the locker room, the quarterback would watch Sanders' postgame dressing ritual and cringe. As Jeff Rude of the Dallas Morning News described it: "Most people slip on a shirt when they get dressed. Deion puts on a jewelry store."

Around his neck, Sanders placed two thick gold chains with dangling diamond-studded 21s. He wore a diamond-studded Rolex watch, two gold diamond bracelets and matching diamond horseshoe earrings.

"There was a division between Deion and Troy that began to bubble over," says Kevin Smith. "We called it 'Double Doors' at Valley Ranch. Once we walked through those double doors it was football. We could laugh and joke, but it was all about football. To Aikman, that was sacred.

"When Deion came in, something changed for the worse. Guys who should have been studying football on a Wednesday at 12 o'clock were focused on other things. Deion was such a freaky athlete that he could shake one leg and be ready to cover anyone. But the guys following his lead weren't nearly as talented. You know what they say about dogs that chase cars -- they don't live long."

One of Sanders' most devoted disciples was Sherman Williams, the rookie running back with much talent but zero work ethic. "Deion had Sherman's ear 100 percent," says Kevin Smith. "He was a rookie who'd show up around 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock in the morning, smelling like weed and rolling with a posse. Guys like Sherman needed to be reminded of the importance of hard work. That did not come from Deion."

"You led by example," adds Dale Hellestrae, the offensive lineman. "And his example wasn't very good."

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I liked Deion and thought he was cool until he blatantly lied on national TV about Pacman not drinking at the hotel that night.

I get it that he bonded with the kid, but lying for him isn't helping him.

He has no room to call Werder a liar after that incident.

He calls Werder a liar when it could have been a number of things.

Werder's sources have it in for T.O. so they lied or they are telling the truth.

But Deion going along with the ridiculous conspiracy theories about Werder making up sources is not going to get him any points with the people at NFL Network or his peers there.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
Wow I so quickly forgot that episode. That was so spare.

You listen to Deion talk about the Cowboys now and two things stand out:
1. He is re-living his strong hatred of Troy Aikman in his hating on Romo.
2. He is defending his own destructive influence on the Cowboys by trying to defend Owens.

It obviously is always more complex than a single player but right after Deion came to Dallas the Cowboys record went down four years in a row.

Bad seed.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic

Ratliff in postgame all but admitted the Werder story (as if there was any point in denying it).

Rat was trying to defend Owens but he says, "It *doesn't matter* if Werders' story is true or not."

Uh. Yeah, we understand.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Oldschool7;2495261 said:
dcfanatic

Ratliff in postgame all but admitted the Werder story (as if there was any point in denying it).

Rat was trying to defend Owens but he says, "It *doesn't matter* if Werders' story is true or not."

Uh. Yeah, we understand.

And Wade basically admitted that 'something' happened last Friday, whether it was just yelling or not, but there are still people who now think the media makes everything up.

It's sad.

I am jsut ready to move on.

But I guess T.O. isn't...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-125/Cowboys-turn-turmoil-into-triumph.html

The postgame news conference took on a surreal feeling when one of T.O.'s friends stood in the back and kept repeating the phrase "reveal your sources." And as the receiver left Texas Stadium with NBA guard Damon Jones, he called a reporter a "chump."
----------------------------

It's low rent and I am not for any Cowboy acting low rent no matter how wronged he feels about the situation.

I guess he never heard of being the bigger man.

Temo

Reaction score
That "reveal your sources" thing is more, I think, to find out who breached the trust of the locker room than anything else. Tension between players happens all the time, but this stuff should never come out into the open.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Temo;2495299 said:
That "reveal your sources" thing is more, I think, to find out who breached the trust of the locker room than anything else. Tension between players happens all the time, but this stuff should never come out into the open.

So now the rest of the players should be worried about 'T.O.'s investigator' being on the job now trying to find out who the snitch is?

That's healthy.
:lmao2:

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
With T.O. we now need monitors.

Monitors to tabulate the passes thrown and caught.
Monitors to make sure Tony and Troy don't talk about improving themselves
Monitors to see that only T.O. talks frankly to the media.
Monitors to tabulate what a victim T.O. is and the decibals of boo at Cowboy stadium.

But back to the point...before there was a T.O. ....there was a Deion Freakin Sanders.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
"Perpetual TO haters group manlove thread" is a more appropriate title.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
Who cares, we won. Get over it already. Stop trying to live vicariously through the Cowboys players. Just watch the damn game.

Reaction score
OMG...

Threads like these blow.

You can't enjoy a fun victory the next day and instead try to pick at T.O and his defenders. Its a dead story. Enjoy the week and quit stirring the pot. T.O isnt going anywhere for at least another 1 year maybe and as long as he can play at a high level, he will wear the star.

Go stick your head in a rest stop toliet and flush.

Your agenda is worse than my man-love for Brady Quinn...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
No one practices harder than Owens ..... so how can he be compared to Deion's "history"?

You boys just cannot let it go can you?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
zrinkill;2495569 said:
No one practices harder than Owens ..... so how can he be compared to Deion's "history"?

You boys just cannot let it go can you?

That's what I was going to say. Rather Deion worked hard, or not, isn't even important. It has zero to do with this team and there is no one in the world who can sit there, with any credibility, and try and claim that TO doesn't practice hard, or work hard, to be as good as he can be.

He's a drama queen, sure, but most great recievers are. There are very few exceptions to that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Speaking of a fetish...did you get turned down or something? Holy cow.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2495602 said:
He's a drama queen, sure, but most great recievers are. There are very few exceptions to that.

Exactly ..... Owens is a childish, emotional, Diva who can get his feelings easily hurt and thinks everything is about him and the world revolves around his actions.

He is also a hard worker who never gets in any trouble with the Law and does all he can to help the young guys.

I will take that over a criminal or drug user any day.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
zrinkill;2495646 said:
Exactly ..... Owens is a childish, emotional, Diva who can get his feelings easily hurt and thinks everything is about him and the world revolves around his actions.

He is also a hard worker who never gets in any trouble with the Law and does all he can to help the young guys.

I will take that over a criminal or drug user any day.
He blocks downfield for RBs. I think he doesn't get near enough credit for that. Hines Ward may be the only WR better at it.

sacase

Reaction score
This is comical. I want to know who these sources are.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2495652 said:
He blocks downfield for RBs. I think he doesn't get near enough credit for that. Hines Ward may be the only WR better at it.

That is true. The guy rarely gets, if he ever does, credit for how well he blocks down field.

Roy Williams seems like he's pretty solid at it as well and not at all adverse to doing it.