I have no issues with the end of game clock mismangement

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't think ANYONE would say that the refs in that game were anywhere near good. There were bad calls and bad no calls, and even with the bad no calls, there were 20 accepted penalties in the game.
:thumbdown:
I don’t expect them to catch everything we do. I am watching #11 in his first time playing DE so I could see the holds. But like last week the bucs had a long pass that set up the win for them and it was obvious he pushed off.. How do you miss that. Lol. Not saying they were bias I saw us get away with a few plays also but when it tips the game and later in the week the refs come out and say oops. That’s not kool.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't disagree that had we not screwed up the rotation and was able to get another play off WITHOUT the timeout, that was RIGHT way to do things.

But taking a TO, just to stop the clock and possibly give the ball back when LAC was conceding the last possession? I think that is a worse decision.
that is the point you call the TO and already have 2 plays ready in the huddle no need for KM or MM ..this shouldn't have been an after thought plays like this are called when you called that short run and 28 secs left..plan should be TO and pick two plays and call it after seeing the Defensive lineup to which play you run..pretty common way things are handled..
when you call run with 38 secs left its with the intention you are calling a TO and already have 2 plays to run next..thats it..

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don’t expect them to catch everything we do. I am watching #11 in his first time playing DE so I could see the holds. But like last week the bucs had a long pass that set up the win for them and it was obvious he pushed off.. How do you miss that. Lol. Not saying they were bias I saw us get away with a few plays also but when it tips the game and later in the week the refs come out and say oops. That’s not kool.
Ya, consistency is probably the one thing that drives me crazy the most. We get called for OPI late in the game last year, but when it happens to us this year, nada.

But those were different crews a year apart, so I will go with...
The PI on Kearse. It was "technically" PI, so I'm fine they made that call, even if I thought it was a bit tick-tacky as many have pointed out post-game.
But then to see the LAC DB dang near mug Cooper on 4th down a series or two later? *** man.

Call both, or don't call either. That's all I ask.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ya, consistency is probably the one thing that drives me crazy the most. We get called for OPI late in the game last year, but when it happens to us this year, nada.

But those were different crews a year apart, so I will go with...
The PI on Kearse. It was "technically" PI, so I'm fine they made that call, even if I thought it was a bit tick-tacky as many have pointed out post-game.
But then to see the LAC DB dang near mug Cooper on 4th down a series or two later? *** man.

Call both, or don't call either. That's all I ask.
Yeah I wish when they show the replay on the big screen right after the play and before the next snap has happened that they could call the penalty for blatantly obvious missed calls.

SackMaster

Reaction score
that is the point you call the TO and already have 2 plays ready in the huddle no need for KM or MM ..this shouldn't have been an after thought plays like this are called when you called that short run and 28 secs left..plan should be TO and pick two plays and call it after seeing the Defensive lineup to which play you run..pretty common way things are handled..
when you call run with 38 secs left its with the intention you are calling a TO and already have 2 plays to run next..thats it..
What down do you think it was when we "should have called a timeout"?

I ask because you keep on mentioning multiple plays ready to go when we only had 1 guaranteed down to run a play.

And if we run a play, don't get the first down, without stopping the clock, then we have to rush our FG team out there with ~24 seconds to get set and kick it?

I don't know about you, but if kicking a 56 yarder is "bad" when you have time to setup correctly, I would hate to see how terrible it would be to attempt a 53 yarder (at best) while everyone is running on the field in a rush.

I don't know man.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Interesting ... Watch from 2:05 (marked) to ~6:30

I promise, I'm not Jeff Cavanaugh ... although I wonder if he is plagiarizing from this thread?
:muttley:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm sure people would focus on the sequence of events if he missed. Hell, they are thinking about it in the win, so that is a pretty rhetorical question if you asked me.
:laugh:

In all honesty, after talking about this all day, I think whoever ran on/off the field when they shouldn't have may have saved the Cowboys from themselves.

After all, I have a hard time believing fans or the media would be discussing this as much if this happened with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. It would have been more like Tom and Bill doing what they do.

JMHO

Thats kinda what i was explaining to the guy that asked.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look. Do I wish the Cowboys been a little smarter with the clock in the last ~30 seconds of the game? Sure.

But forced, and even worse, unforced errors are a thing. See the KC RB that just flat out drop the football while not being touched towards the end of that game vs Baltimore.

Bad snap, fumble, sack, TFL, interception, false start, holding, illegal shift, illegal formation, delay of game ... or anything else you can think of could have happened, then what was in range for GZ is out of range for GZ.

I do believe the Cowboys coaches were expecting the Chargers to take a timeout, hence no other playcall came in for the offense to run after that last run, but since the Chargers didn't call a TO, I think it played out perfectly.

Why, you might ask?
  1. It was not a FG that if you missed you lost.
  2. But we also made sure that if GZ did miss, LAC could not use their left over TO to try and attempt a last minute Hail Mary.
I get it, no one wanted to go into Overtime in that game, but at the same time, I'm thinking the end of the game clock management issue is being COMPLETELY overblown.

Fact of the matter is, last week we complained about giving TB too much time to make a last minute comeback.

This week Big Mike DID NOT make that mistake .... yet some people, to include the local Dallas media, is dang near calling for MM's head.

I just don't get it, but then again, you are more than welcome to try and change my mind.
:grin:

So, in your view, the play here is to squander away the final 34 seconds with 2 timeouts in our pocket and settle for a 56 yarder? I assume you are joking b/c we happen to win.

SackMaster

Reaction score
So, in your view, the play here is to squander away the final 34 seconds with 2 timeouts in our pocket and settle for a 56 yarder? I assume you are joking b/c we happen to win.
We didn't have two timeouts. Amari's injury two plays before our final run took care of the second timeout.

But just so that we are clear and I don't sound totally unreasonable ... IF we had two timeouts, I would be the biggest idiot in this thread.

In that case, you ABSOLUTELY call your 2nd timeout after the 2nd down run knowing you have the final timeout to use to get your FG unit on the field for the field goal.

I think the video a few post above us explains the situation much better than I have so far.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't have two timeouts. Amari's injury two plays before our final run took care of the second timeout.

But just so that we are clear and I don't sound totally unreasonable ... IF we had two timeouts, I would be the biggest idiot in this thread.

In that case, you ABSOLUTELY call your 2nd timeout after the 2nd down run knowing you have the final timeout to use to get your FG unit on the field for the field goal.

I think the video a few post above us explains the situation much better than I have so far.

Well, as fortune has it, it worked out. But, not by design. MM had no idea how much time was left b/c the clocks on the field mysteriously stopped working. The play with one timeout is to run another play to get closer, call timeout, then kick the FG. SD was more than happy to let us try a 56 yarder. FGs from that distance only have a 40% chance of being made........ so, the odds favored them.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Well, as fortune has it, it worked out. But, not by design. MM had no idea how much time was left b/c the clocks on the field mysteriously stopped working. The play with one timeout is to run another play to get closer, call timeout, then kick the FG. SD was more than happy to let us try a 56 yarder. FGs from that distance only have a 40% chance of being made........ so, the odds favored them.
Everything you said was factually correct.

I just hope you can see that in the chaos of what was happening on the field, they played it about as perfectly as they could.

Make it = Win
Miss it = Overtime
Blocked and returned for a TD for LAC = Disaster

But they were NOT going to allow LAC's offense a chance to steal a win in regulation.
:clap:

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

Kellen Moore Shares Honest Admission On Clock Management

“The clock got a little bit goofy,” he added. “I didn’t really like my run to Tony. I would’ve probably called something different there if we had gone down that road again. But those things always happen through a game.”

Moore claimed that his view of the clock was blocked by a camera operator.
“The camera guy on the cart, he kind of moved right in front of the screen,” he said.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything you said was factually correct.

I just hope you can see that in the chaos of what was happening on the field, they played it about as perfectly as they could.

Make it = Win
Miss it = Overtime
Blocked and returned for a TD for LAC = Disaster

But they were NOT going to allow LAC's offense a chance to steal a win in regulation.
:clap:

Agree. I think they finally understand the concept of milking the clock down. Though it appeared they went overboard, MM's presser made sense of it. You can't run a 2 minute offense if you can't see the time remaining on the field.