I have no issues with the end of game clock mismangement

Sydla

Reaction score
Look. Do I wish the Cowboys been a little smarter with the clock in the last ~30 seconds of the game? Sure.

But forced, and even worse, unforced errors are a thing. See the KC RB that just flat out drop the football while not being touched towards the end of that game vs Baltimore.

Bad snap, fumble, sack, TFL, interception, false start, holding, illegal shift, illegal formation, delay of game ... or anything else you can think of could have happened, then what was in range for GZ is out of range for GZ.

I do believe the Cowboys coaches were expecting the Chargers to take a timeout, hence no other playcall came in for the offense to run after that last run, but since the Chargers didn't call a TO, I think it played out perfectly.

Why, you might ask?
  1. It was not a FG that if you missed you lost.
  2. But we also made sure that if GZ did miss, LAC could not use their left over TO to try and attempt a last minute Hail Mary.
I get it, no one wanted to go into Overtime in that game, but at the same time, I'm thinking the end of the game clock management issue is being COMPLETELY overblown.

Fact of the matter is, last week we complained about giving TB too much time to make a last minute comeback.

This week Big Mike DID NOT make that mistake .... yet some people, to include the local Dallas media, is dang near calling for MM's head.

I just don't get it, but then again, you are more than welcome to try and change my mind.
:grin:

Yeah, I can't buy this.

Why would the chargers call timeout there? At that point, there is little chance they would get the ball back so stopping the clock isn't a priority for them at that point. The Cowboys coaching staff needs to be ready to send in a play/personnel at that point. To suggest they were banking on the Chargers to help them out is preposterous to me. If they didn't have a play ready for that situation, then that's clearly a coaching mistake. And your point about the hail mary possibility is even more of a reason to not settle for a 56 yard FG.

Secondly, their excuse about the clock is just pathetic. There are clocks all over that stadium.

At the end of the day, SETTLING (and that's exactly what they did) for a 56 yard FG is poor management when there were 25 seconds left and you had a timeout still.

SackMaster

Reaction score
There is a big difference between a 56 yard FG and a 46 yard FG. I believe that was 3rd or 4th longest FG of Zeulein’s career? Hell of a kick by him for sure— but back to Big Mac…

The issue has nothing to do with winding the clock down so your team takes the last second FG. That is exactly what should have happened.

The issue is he wasted precious seconds he could have used to better position his kicker for the GW kick. We absolutely should have taken the TO with 30 secs left… then we are looking to pick up 10+ yards and clock the ball with 3 secs or less left.

In short— his kicker bailed him out. Now— he could have managed the clock well, and GZ may have missed a 45 yarder— so in the end, just learn from the mistake and move on and be thankful for the W lol
Again, not saying what we asked GZ to do was ideal, but at the same time, that is a BIG assumption that something bad does not happen trying to get those extra ~10 or so yards.

Unless of course, you thought the officiating was spot on yesterday and the refs "let the players play"? If so, then I guess I can't argue.

Jipper

Reaction score
Then we go into overtime?

I mean, you would have a point if it was close, but it had PLENTY on it and I'm sure the coaches were aware of what GZ's range was since they see him nearly every day.

Also, it was not a "miss and lose" situation. It was a "make and win" / "miss and go into overtime" situation.

Sure, we could have lost in overtime, but I'm sure if that was the case, we would have had something altogether blame in that scenario.

yup, we would have gone to overtime, and we may have won, lost, tied...we will never know.

I think the point is that it was miss managed, for whatever reason, and it has to be improved on going forward. We were good bc greg made a hell of a kick, but things like that should be cleaned up...no point in adding additional challenges

dogberry

Reaction score
Was Zuerlein consistently hitting from distance pre-game?

Usually, Kristi Scales reports on that. I listened to the Ticket prior to kickoff yesterday instead.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Look. Do I wish the Cowboys been a little smarter with the clock in the last ~30 seconds of the game? Sure.

But forced, and even worse, unforced errors are a thing. See the KC RB that just flat out drop the football while not being touched towards the end of that game vs Baltimore.

Bad snap, fumble, sack, TFL, interception, false start, holding, illegal shift, illegal formation, delay of game ... or anything else you can think of could have happened, then what was in range for GZ is out of range for GZ.

I do believe the Cowboys coaches were expecting the Chargers to take a timeout, hence no other playcall came in for the offense to run after that last run, but since the Chargers didn't call a TO, I think it played out perfectly.

Why, you might ask?
  2. But we also made sure that if GZ did miss, LAC could not use their left over TO to try and attempt a last minute Hail Mary.
I get it, no one wanted to go into Overtime in that game, but at the same time, I'm thinking the end of the game clock management issue is being COMPLETELY overblown.

Fact of the matter is, last week we complained about giving TB too much time to make a last minute comeback.

This week Big Mike DID NOT make that mistake .... yet some people, to include the local Dallas media, is dang near calling for MM's head.

I just don't get it, but then again, you are more than welcome to try and change my mind.

Those that are afraid to evaluate themselves cannot get better. Coaching is the same as a playing in this regard. Even when you win you find ways to get better.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Was Zuerlein consistently hitting from distance pre-game?

Usually, Kristi Scales reports on that. I listened to the Ticket prior to kickoff yesterday instead.
That is pretty key too.

I haven't heard anything on GZ during pre-game, but if he wasn't consistent from distance during pre-game, then I think that would be the most damaging argument against my opinion here.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Again, not saying what we asked GZ to do was ideal, but at the same time, that is a BIG assumption that something bad does not happen trying to get those extra ~10 or so yards.

Unless of course, you thought the officiating was spot on yesterday and the refs "let the players play"? If so, then I guess I can't argue.

Yah— I sure as hell take the TO and take my chances trying to get more yards there. Greg the Leg has been shaky this season— so trying to help him every way possible is the way to go.

All the pressure was on them to stop us. Hell we could have spread them out and run a safe draw play and clock the ball and at least gotten Greg another 5-8 yards closer

Proof

Reaction score

Why, you might ask?

you hate to see your head coach fumbling around looking confused in an end of game situation. a lot of what you said is also true, but doesn't absolve the criticism. also helaire had the ball punched out of his hands.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Those that are afraid to evaluate themselves cannot get better. Coaching is the same as a playing in this regard. Even when you win you find ways to get better.
Oh, please don't think I'm all about "we won, so obviously we are perfect".

SOMETHING happened at the end of the game, and it should be addressed by the Cowboys. But to sit here and act like it is something that almost cost us the game is ... silly IMO.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Yet all we heard is how Bosa was going to dominate Steele all game long.

Could you imagine if Bosa had a sack or a big TFL on a last play that didn't "need to" be ran?
:huh:
So are you saying MM did not want to run another play or that Dak is not smart enough to not get sacked on a quick out?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Games come down to the smallest details. Bumbling something so basic as being able to get off multiple plays with that amount of time & two timeouts is NOT something that should be overlooked. Especially when you add last year's questionable decisions. It just isn't good fundamental coaching \ decision making. You got away with it yesterday but that's no reason to excuse it.

Brax

Reaction score

Why, you might ask?

If the FG was missed you would be posting about the poor time management and terrible coaching let's be real MM blew it yet again, he just got very lucky this time.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Yah— I sure as hell take the TO and take my chances trying to get more yards there. Greg the Leg has been shaky this season— so trying to help him every way possible is the way to go.

All the pressure was on them to stop us. Hell we could have spread them out and run a safe draw play and clock the ball and at least gotten Greg another 5-8 yards closer
You make valid arguments. You really do.

Yes, GZ struggled last week during the game, but how was he in practice? Or how about during pregame?

I'm just saying, that was far from a clean game by either team or the refs, and while it is easy to say we could have been able to gain a few more yards, I think in THIS specific game, losing yardage due to a bad play, or a penalty (legit or otherwise) was just as likely.

SackMaster

Reaction score
If the FG was missed you would be posting about the poor time management and terrible coaching let's be real MM blew it yet again, he just got very lucky this time.
Me? Nah. What happens happens. I try not to get too worked up over something I have absolutely no control over.

But ya, I could image the (probably justifiable) responses on this forum if GZ missed.

J-man

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I didn't read your post but IMHO that was some terrible clock management. They acted like they had all the time in the world and they didn't because they expected LA to call time outs and they didn't. Even not snapping the ball before the 2 minute warning was stupid.
I think they got lucky as crap that the leg bailed them out.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You make valid arguments. You really do.

Yes, GZ struggled last week during the game, but how was he in practice? Or how about during pregame?

I'm just saying, that was far from a clean game by either team or the refs, and while it is easy to say we could have been able to gain a few more yards, I think in THIS specific game, losing yardage due to a bad play, or a penalty (legit or otherwise) was just as likely.

Had Greg missed that kick and we lost in OT, the clock management issues would be the focus of every sports talk show for the next week.

He made the kick and was clutch for us— and I am thankful it worked out— but the percentages are against that being a winning strategy over the long run