I hear boom boom boom all day long

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My idiot neighbor in the apartment upstairs can't seem to walk without stomping. He's a young guy, maybe 25, about 5' 9", and maybe around 170 pounds. He's not André the Giant, but he can't seem to walk across his floor without stomping. The previous tenant never did that. I always avoided stomping when I lived on an upper floor. People don't realize how loud it is below. The trick is you don't let your heel come down for hard contact.
I'm a live and let live person. I'm not out to hassle anyone, but this is driving me nuts. Some days it's non-stop. Some days I get a reprieve if he goes somewhere. My cat doesn't like it either. When it's going BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, the glass in my sliding door shakes, and my cat runs and hides under the dresser.
So I reluctantly complained to the property management, and here's what they promised to do about it: NOTHING! They said they can't contact a tenant with a noise complaint if it's about stomping on the floor, and that some sound is expected. I said, yes, there's always some sound with normal walking, but this is stomping that makes my windows shake. The landlord said she can only do a noise complaint if it's loud music. [What? Only music, and nothing else, can be too loud? ] I had heard the previous tenant walking, and it was just some basic floor creaking, something you can easily tune out. But I'm not able to just tune out BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM [window pane rattle]. What's worse is I had just signed a year lease renewal just before this goober moved in.

What gives? Am I expecting too much to not want to listen to stomping all day? Do I have to take a video of my cat running and hiding from the noise to convince this property management? Up until now, this company has been perfectly fine. They responded to complaints from multiple tenants about a particular neighbor who used to pull up in his car at midnight with rap music blasting with a super woofer. But, somehow if the noise is someone stomping across the floor, they can't do anything.

What do you think I should do?
1. Complain more vehemently to the landlord.
2. Have a lawyer accuse them of breech of contract.
3. Ask to be moved to an upper floor.
4. Talk to the neighbor myself.
5. Pound on the ceiling.
6. Tough out the remaining 10 months of the lease and then move.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I had a very similar situation a few years back and got the same response from management. It was so bad I paid the last 2 months of rent and got the hell outta there.

You have every right to be annoyed unfortunately it’s part of apartment living.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
My idiot neighbor in the apartment upstairs can't seem to walk without stomping. He's a young guy, maybe 25, about 5' 9", and maybe around 170 pounds. He's not André the Giant, but he can't seem to walk across his floor without stomping. The previous tenant never did that. I always avoided stomping when I lived on an upper floor. People don't realize how loud it is below. The trick is you don't let your heel come down for hard contact.
I'm a live and let live person. I'm not out to hassle anyone, but this is driving me nuts. Some days it's non-stop. Some days I get a reprieve if he goes somewhere. My cat doesn't like it either. When it's going BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, the glass in my sliding door shakes, and my cat runs and hides under the dresser.
So I reluctantly complained to the property management, and here's what they promised to do about it: NOTHING! They said they can't contact a tenant with a noise complaint if it's about stomping on the floor, and that some sound is expected. I said, yes, there's always some sound with normal walking, but this is stomping that makes my windows shake. The landlord said she can only do a noise complaint if it's loud music. [What? Only music, and nothing else, can be too loud? ] I had heard the previous tenant walking, and it was just some basic floor creaking, something you can easily tune out. But I'm not able to just tune out BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM [window pane rattle]. What's worse is I had just signed a year lease renewal just before this goober moved in.

What gives? Am I expecting too much to not want to listen to stomping all day? Do I have to take a video of my cat running and hiding from the noise to convince this property management? Up until now, this company has been perfectly fine. They responded to complaints from multiple tenants about a particular neighbor who used to pull up in his car at midnight with rap music blasting with a super woofer. But, somehow if the noise is someone stomping across the floor, they can't do anything.

5. Pound on the ceiling.
I did try talking to the neighbors first but the noise makers in this situation were 3 very healthy toddlers trampling all over the place non-stop. Parents said they couldn’t stop them even if they wanted to.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I tried #3 and they said sure, as long as you live out the current lease first.

Creeper

Reaction score
That sucks, but I don't know what you can do about it. Apartment living means having to deal with the annoyances of strangers. I was living in a hi-rise once and every few days our bedroom would stink of cat urine. It was awful. We didn't have any cats so it had to be coming from someone else's apartment. It would get really bad then go away for a day or two them get really bad again. We complained to management and they said they would try to find the culprit but they never did. We moved.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
07763132.jpg

34150%20main.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My first course of action would have been to talk directly and politely to the neighbor. He probably doesn't realize how loud it is. Maybe the previous tenant had carpeting, and this guy doesn't. Whatever the case, going directly to an authority figure first isn't a good look.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Back when apartment living was the reality, I always went for the upper floor. Issues like this and for some reason, always felt safer. Don’t know if it really makes a difference but always felt like burglars would go for the ground floors first. Only disadvantage was having to move in and out up flights of stairs or small elevators. I’ve never been one to have issues with my neighbors. For something like this I take it in stride. No one is going to change the way they walk. I think once you complain about a neighbor it’s game on and neither gets to live in peace and comfort anymore without worry about the other one narcing on them.

The only advantage I see to this situation is that if you intended to move out early anyways, you could probably do it without penalty by just getting a lawyer to write a quick letter for you.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have similar issues. My neighbors really suck. They hit the wall with a hammer at all hours of the night, slam doors, have sletchy people in and out.

When they bang on the wall at 3 a.m., Ive started banging back. I wait until they are asleep and slam my cabinets..then do it again. Most recently, the tall bull lady comes to my door and knocks.

This is my chance. I open the door, say go "eat" a d...as in, you know, Dallas, the big d..then slam it in here face..

Im not going to explain myself. My advice is to payback the favor in some way so they can see how it is.

Its awkward to see my neighnors now but since then I havent heard a peep...and like it that way.

Agree on walking softly in upstairs unit. Piece of cake if youre no an oblivious moron.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I both empathize and have sympathy for the Reverends' predicament, and i'm eternally grateful that i no longer have such concerns.

I detested apartment living.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I have similar issues. My neighbors really suck. They hit the wall with a hammer at all hours of the night, slam doors, have sletchy people in and out.

When they bang on the wall at 3 a.m., Ive started banging back. I wait until they are asleep and slam my cabinets..then do it again. Most recently, the tall bull lady comes to my door and knocks.

This is my chance. I open the door, say go "eat" a d...as in, you know, Dallas, the big d..then slam it in here face..

Im not going to explain myself. My advice is to payback the favor in some way so they can see how it is.

Its awkward to see my neighnors now but since then I havent heard a peep...and like it that way.

Agree on walking softly in upstairs unit. Piece of cake if youre no an oblivious moron.
You lowered your self down to their level.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think it might be a little kid doing the stomping. Crap. I can't ask a kid not to do that. I'll just have to see if I can get an upper floor apartment. The lower floor's a greater security risk anyway. There's a big cedar tree that hides both my bedroom window and the living room sliding glass door. I like the privacy it provides, but if I weren't here, and some goon wanted to break in, that tree would provide perfect cover. I'm going to have to hire someone to help me move furniture. I have stuff that's too big and heavy to carry all by myself.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

5. Pound on the ceiling.
go back in time and choose a different apartment

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You lowered your self down to their level.
No, the first thing they did was knock on my door and complain nobody liked them and wanted to be friendly. Then they use that to get away with tweaking and making racket for days on end when I clearly see them low key slinging dope on the low and low key screening me to sell to. I dont typically care about what people do but they try to charm their way around it and make it awkward for me to say anything about it to them
..and i mentioned very early on I like to keep it quiet...anyway, I do like one of the neighbors and she obviously gets overrun by her partner or whatever. Not my business but I can't help but make the observation. I've also been able to get a good nights sleep lately if for nothing else they're a bit more paranoid. So ill take it. If you dont point it out or give the behavior consequences, they will continue the behavior. You're thinking instant gratification...

Im thinking how to solve it legally and pragmatically in the future via least path of resistance.

Hi.

Yo, eat a Big Dallas, slam ... gets the point across quickly. I dont want to involve police or management for their obliviousness to what most would see as obvious. Their jobs are hard enough.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think it might be a little kid doing the stomping. Crap. I can't ask a kid not to do that. I'll just have to see if I can get an upper floor apartment. The lower floor's a greater security risk anyway. There's a big cedar tree that hides both my bedroom window and the living room sliding glass door. I like the privacy it provides, but if I weren't here, and some goon wanted to break in, that tree would provide perfect cover. I'm going to have to hire someone to help me move furniture. I have stuff that's too big and heavy to carry all by myself.
I can’t count the number of times I’ve moved over the years. You just put your head down and do it.

T-RO

Reaction score
1. At night: White noise. Add an air purifier or fan. Or use a white noise app on computer, tablet or mobile phone.

2. During day use noise cancelling head phones/ ear buds

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The pounding has started again. It's going to drive me mad. Now that I know it's a kid, I'm not angry anymore, but I've got to make a change. I'll talk with the property management. The other wrinkle is there's not necessarily an empty apartment to go to right away. Plus, there are both smoking and non-smoking buildings. As an asthma sufferer, I really need a non-smoking one. All the apartments are also not the same. Some cost more than others.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The pounding has started again. It's going to drive me mad. Now that I know it's a kid, I'm not angry anymore, but I've got to make a change. I'll talk with the property management. The other wrinkle is there's not necessarily an empty apartment to go to right away. Plus, there are both smoking and non-smoking buildings. As an asthma sufferer, I really need a non-smoking one. All the apartments are also not the same. Some cost more than others.
Dude, that's when you get more pissed.