Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
6LCa8fm.png

T-RO

Reaction score
Since I do want to actually help...I will repeat as necessary:

1. At night: White noise. Add an air purifier or fan. Or use a white noise app on computer, tablet or mobile phone.

2. During day use noise cancelling head phones/ ear buds

Years ago I played the hopeless downstairs apartment game. Only way to win.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Since I do want to actually help...I will repeat as necessary:

1. At night: White noise. Add an air purifier or fan. Or use a white noise app on computer, tablet or mobile phone.

2. During day use noise cancelling head phones/ ear buds

Years ago I played the hopeless downstairs apartment game. Only way to win.
I just need to get the bleep out. They're up there stomping right now, and I'm down here trying to do my job. My nice gamer headset has konked out, so I'm using the cheap crap that the company has provided. I can hear every stomp. I do have a fan that can create some white noise. Maybe I'll turn it on, though it won't be practical to use during the winter.
I think the complex are a bunch of idiots for renting an upper floor to someone with a stomping toddler. If they had a ground-level apartment, this would not happen. They're driving me mad.

T-RO

Reaction score
I just need to get the bleep out. They're up there stomping right now, and I'm down here trying to do my job. My nice gamer headset has konked out, so I'm using the cheap crap that the company has provided. I can hear every stomp. I do have a fan that can create some white noise. Maybe I'll turn it on, though it won't be practical to use during the winter.
I think the complex are a bunch of idiots for renting an upper floor to someone with a stomping toddler. If they had a ground-level apartment, this would not happen. They're driving me mad.
You won't get out of your lease w/out paying all manner of crazy fees and moving costs. It's how the apartment-world game is rigged. Forget about that!

Settle yourself down. It'll be fine. LISTEN TO ME.

Get on Craigslist or Ebay and you can find some cheap noise cancellation headphones or ear buds for daytime use. Or ask around from friends! Maybe they'll help you out. When you are trying to sleep you can use any of the following:
  • Laptop + Free white noise app, or white Noise YouTube Channel (waves sounds, wind sounds etc)
  • or...
  • Smartphone + Free white noise app, or white Noise YouTube Channel
  • or...
  • Or Shop for $20 dedicated device that plays white noise to drown out surrounding noise.
I'm not saying this harshly...as I've dealt with same thing: Get over it! You aren't getting bombed. You have a home. Adjust. Adapt.

White noise devices:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=whtie+noise&crid=2MB0W600H0DBS&sprefix=whtie+noise,aps,143&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
You could go nuclear. You have an electric guitar and and amp, don't you? Fight fire with fire. I'm not suggesting it because usually nobody wins.

A a landlord myself, there is not much your landlord can do.

Last week I had a tenant telling me that the neighbor in the next unit is prone to occasionally, and at full volume, howling like a wolf.

Last night the coyotes woke me up from a dead sleep. The coyotes got the owls fired up and they started sounding off. At least my dogs didn't chime in, this time.

I have a suggestion to get out of your lease if that is something you're considering.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
You won't get out of your lease w/out paying all manner of crazy fees and moving costs. It's how the apartment-world game is rigged. Forget about that!

Settle yourself down. It'll be fine. LISTEN TO ME.

Get on Craigslist or Ebay and you can find some cheap noise cancellation headphones or ear buds for daytime use. Or ask around from friends! Maybe they'll help you out. When you are trying to sleep you can use any of the following:
  • Laptop + Free white noise app, or white Noise YouTube Channel (waves sounds, wind sounds etc)
  • or...
  • Smartphone + Free white noise app, or white Noise YouTube Channel
  • or...
  • Or Shop for $20 dedicated device that plays white noise to drown out surrounding noise.
I'm not saying this harshly...as I've dealt with same thing: Get over it! You aren't getting bombed. You have a home. Adjust. Adapt.

White noise devices:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=whtie+noise&crid=2MB0W600H0DBS&sprefix=whtie+noise,aps,143&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
They wouldn't have to let me out of my lease. Just put my in an upper floor unit and continue on the same lease. I did that a some years back in another complex. I had a neighbor who was a creepo sicko who kept pestering me, so the complex gave me dibs on another unit on the other side of the complex.
I will use the white noise fan for now. For my noise-canceling gaming headset, I get the sheer joy of exercising its warranty. Its mike crapped out, and it's only 5 months old. I get to navigate the big company warranty maze. Lucky me.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still say your best course of action, at the moment, is to politely talk to the tenant, and ask him if he could try to calm his child, or possibly limit his more rambunctious activities to an area that would affect your life less

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Dude, that's when you get more pissed.
Let's not mislead him. I can attest these often times aren"t the easiest thing to handle. Don't get pissed. Take a deep breath and think it througj. Be smart, savvy, authentic..youll be fine in time. For now you can either be really nice, be a jerk (like me) or take it and be patient. Definitely don't follow my lead if they are decent people. I just happen to know one of my neighbors is super shady, so I have to treat them all the same. Special kiind of scumbags tho. Like im over here trying to mind mine and they be trippin.

T-RO

Reaction score
***Please Read This***

This little post isn't related to noise, but to "neighbors" we really don't know.

I'm temporarily living in an apartment in Arizona. It's generally a quiet place where I feel secure. With one exception. About 50 yards away there is an apartment unit with an exceptional amount of foot traffic coming and going at all types of strange hours. Often carrying little bags of boxes. That kind of thing makes me think: drug dealer. In my mind that becomes, "RED UNIT". A couple of times I imagined someone from RED UNIT breaking into my home or vandalizing my car.

About a week ago I came home from a late night errand. It's maybe 11pm. And Dammmit(!), someone is parked in my reserved spot! Despite not wanting to disturb neighbors I lay on the horn for half a second. I wait a bit, then lay on the horn for a full second. I notice several people coming and going from RED UNIT but nobody pays attention to me. I hit the horn again.

After a couple of minutes a large intimidating man starts walking directly towards my car. HE DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY. It scares me. He walks right over to my driver side window and I reluctantly roll down the window an inch to hear what he has to say.

He say says: "I'm sorry I parked in your spot. My nephew just killed himself." The man then moved his car (or left). I was relieved the man meant me no harm...relieved to park in my spot. I was proud in my detective deduction, "I KNEW RED UNIT was no good! Probably a drug overdose."

Five minutes later I was full of shame. Why, why, why...didn't I tell him to stay in my parking spot and inconvenience myself a bit? This man had just lost a loved one, but had been incredibly polite. He was heartbroken. I too have lost a nephew too from drug overdose.

I've been thinking about that a lot in the last week. It's a difficult world. Yes there is society meltdown around us. Yes some are annoying, loud, even dangerous.

But what about me: Will I maintain my humanity... or not?

Last edited:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
***Please Read This***

This little post isn't related to noise, but to "neighbors" we really don't know.

I'm temporarily living in an apartment in Arizona. It's generally a quiet place where I feel secure. With one exception. About 50 yards away there is an apartment unit with an exceptional amount of foot traffic coming and going at all types of strange hours. Often carrying little bags of boxes. That kind of thing makes me think: drug dealer. In my mind that becomes, "RED UNIT". A couple of times I imagined someone from RED UNIT breaking into my home or vandalizing my car.

About a week ago I came home from a late night errand. It's maybe 11pm. And Dammmit(!), someone is parked in my reserved spot! Despite not wanting to disturb neighbors I lay on the horn for half a second. I wait a bit, then lay on the horn for a full second. I notice several people coming and going from RED UNIT but nobody pays attention to me. I hit the horn again.

After a couple of minutes a large intimidating man starts walking directly towards my car. HE DOES NOT LOOK HAPPY. It scares me. He walks right over to my driver side window and I reluctantly roll down the window an inch to hear what he has to say.

He say says: "I'm sorry I parked in your spot. My nephew just killed himself." The man then moved his car (or left). I was relieved the man meant me no harm...relieved to park in my spot. I was proud in my detective deduction, "I KNEW RED UNIT was no good! Probably a drug overdose."

Five minutes later I was full of shame. Why, why, why...didn't I tell him to stay in my parking spot and inconvenience myself a bit? This man had just lost a loved one, but had been incredibly polite. He was heartbroken. I too have lost a nephew too from drug overdose.

I've been thinking about that a lot in the last week. It's a difficult world. Yes there is society meltdown around us. Yes some are annoying, loud, even dangerous.

But what about me: Will I maintain my humanity... or not?
I agree with this. It's important to me not to be a jerk to these people. I don't know them. That said, I'm frustrated by the stomping, and I think a move to the upper floor would be better for me. On the first floor, it's also easier for thieves to break in. Plus, from time to time, some bozo drives up in the parking lot, blasting his music. I've lived on the third floor before. I didn't notice that as much back then.
I'm going to home bake some bread this weekend and offer them a loaf.

Praxit

Reaction score
..dude, so weird. We had same situation happen to us about 10 yr ago.

The people above us walked as if they wore boots. You could literally hear them walk to from the kitchen.

Fast forward. They moved out few months later. New residents could barely be heard.

Some people just have strange gaits.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with this. It's important to me not to be a jerk to these people. I don't know them. That said, I'm frustrated by the stomping, and I think a move to the upper floor would be better for me. On the first floor, it's also easier for thieves to break in. Plus, from time to time, some bozo drives up in the parking lot, blasting his music. I've lived on the third floor before. I didn't notice that as much back then.
I'm going to home bake some bread this weekend and offer them a loaf.
Make 3 loaves. One for them to eat, and two to strap on the kid's feet.