I like McNair, but this is ridiculous

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
This dude was totally wasted (almost twice the legal limit) on the road AND carrying a gun...now he's getting off scott free...either McNair bought his way out of this or something is seriously wrong with the law here in the USA:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee Titans: Prosecutors said they will seek to drop drunken driving and gun charges against quarterback Steve McNair because a judge ruled two weeks ago that police didn't have sufficient cause to stop him.

District Attorney Torry Johnson said he decided not to appeal the July 22 decision by Judge Cheryl Blackburn that effectively eliminated all police evidence in the case, including a breath test that showed McNair was intoxicated. Instead, Johnson will ask Blackburn to dismiss the case at a hearing Friday.

"While her conclusion is contrary to our position, I cannot say it is illogical or clearly wrong and neither would an appellate court," Johnson said.

McNair was arrested in May 2003 while driving his sport utility vehicle in downtown Nashville. His blood alcohol content registered at 0.18 percent, almost twice the 0.10 level then used to define driving under the influence, according to a police report. The DUI threshold has since been lowered to 0.08 percent.

In last month's order, Blackburn ruled that a police video didn't show McNair's vehicle weaving outside his lane of traffic and that officer Shawn Taylor did not have a reason to stop him. That ruling meant all evidence gathered after the stop, including a gun found in McNair's car and the blood alcohol test, was excluded.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
This dude was totally wasted (almost twice the legal limit) on the road AND carrying a gun...now he's getting off scott free...either McNair bought his way out of this or something is seriously wrong with the law here in the USA:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tennessee Titans: Prosecutors said they will seek to drop drunken driving and gun charges against quarterback Steve McNair because a judge ruled two weeks ago that police didn't have sufficient cause to stop him.

District Attorney Torry Johnson said he decided not to appeal the July 22 decision by Judge Cheryl Blackburn that effectively eliminated all police evidence in the case, including a breath test that showed McNair was intoxicated. Instead, Johnson will ask Blackburn to dismiss the case at a hearing Friday.

"While her conclusion is contrary to our position, I cannot say it is illogical or clearly wrong and neither would an appellate court," Johnson said.

McNair was arrested in May 2003 while driving his sport utility vehicle in downtown Nashville. His blood alcohol content registered at 0.18 percent, almost twice the 0.10 level then used to define driving under the influence, according to a police report. The DUI threshold has since been lowered to 0.08 percent.

In last month's order, Blackburn ruled that a police video didn't show McNair's vehicle weaving outside his lane of traffic and that officer Shawn Taylor did not have a reason to stop him. That ruling meant all evidence gathered after the stop, including a gun found in McNair's car and the blood alcohol test, was excluded.
well he is mcnair, and that is what happened cant blame anybody

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

If the bastid was a part-timer at Wal-mart he would be getting smacked around by the justice system.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
If his vehicle wasn't weaving, and he wasn't speeding, why was he stopped? A smell of vodka coming off the car?

Being McNair probably got him off the hook - they were willing to even review the tape because he is who he is. But it smells like racial profiling on the stop itself.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
If his vehicle wasn't weaving, and he wasn't speeding, why was he stopped? A smell of vodka coming off the car?

Being McNair probably got him off the hook - they were willing to even review the tape because he is who he is. But it smells like racial profiling on the stop itself.

I think it shows, once again, that if you have a really really good lawyer, you can get off pretty much anything.

I thought the charges against Kobe were somewhat in question, but his lawyers are absolutely tearing that case apart.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

lmao....... :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Danny White said:
I think it shows, once again, that if you have a really really good lawyer, you can get off pretty much anything.

Good lawyers help, but so do illegal search and seizures. He should never have been stopped.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I mean if he didnt do anything to warrant being pulled over then why care. Hell, there have been times in my life where I got pulled over for nothing (well, I could tell you EXACTLY why) and all of a sudden I get a $150 ticket from some overcompensating fruit cup. Fact is sometimes officers get away with murder and sometimes citizens do to.

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Good lawyers help, but so do illegal search and seizures. He should never have been stopped.

Just because the guy walked doesn't mean there were no reasons to pull him over. I'm guessing a man who is intoxicated over twice the legal limit was driving erratically in some form or fashion and his celebrity $$$$$$ got him off,,,

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I'm with you.

rule of law......(wrong forum) ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
I mean if he didnt do anything to warrant being pulled over then why care. Hell, there have been times in my life where I got pulled over for nothing (well, I could tell you EXACTLY why) and all of a sudden I get a $150 ticket from some overcompensating fruit cup. Fact is sometimes officers get away with murder and sometimes citizens do to.

And sometimes they happen "together".

I got pulled over a few weeks back for speeding, going thru a red light, passing on the right while doing it and not wearing a seat belt. "Do you know what you just did?" I knew what my offenses were and told the officer. My excuse was I was in a hurry to get to class (I was on this board too long, lol). Because I teach where the cops study - the biggest criminal justice program in the state - I got zilch fine. "Oh, don't do that again, do you know so and so?". I've been driving for almost 25 years and have never had so much as one single parking ticket that stuck. A charmed life, to be sure.:eek:

My hubby , on the other hand, a black man driving a luxury vehicle, (feel for ya Steve). gets stopped on a regular basis for nothin', including once outside his own house. "What are you doing in this neighborhood?"

I guess with the murder I get away with, and the heat my husband takes, in this household at least, it all evens out. :D

But racial profiling is a big problem up here and a recent study found RI black drivers (a scant 4 percent of the popultaion ) are stopped ten times more often than white drivers, but white drivers proportionately have a much higher amount of contraband in their cars.

I'd bet my life that was what tagged McNair.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EGG said:
Just because the guy walked doesn't mean there were no reasons to pull him over. I'm guessing a man who is intoxicated over twice the legal limit was driving erratically in some form or fashion and his celebrity $$$$$$ got him off,,,
DUH.

What I know was what was in the article. Did you read it?

He beat the rap because there was no probable cause to pull him over.

No probable cause - no signs of drunkenness, no broken headlights, no expired tags means anything found in his car couldn't be used against him. He never should have been stopped. Period.

That's the way ouv system works.

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
DUH.

What I know was what was in the article. Did you read it?

He beat the rap because there was no probable cause to pull him over.

No probable cause - no signs of drunkenness, no broken headlights, no expired tags means anything found in his car couldn't be used against him. He never should have been stopped. Period.

That's the way ouv system works.

Oh yeah! It's more likely that the double drunk got off because he was driving perfectly fine than it was the court giving him the royal treatment,,, cuckoo!!!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EGG said:
Oh yeah! It's more likely that the double drunk was driving perfectly fine than it was the court giving him the royal treatment,,, cuckoo!!!

Sure, the fact he is a celebrity helped him. A lot. If he was Joe Blow from Cocomo, the video tape proving he was not weaving, visibly under the influence, would never have been reviewed.

Again, try reading the article.

I have no doubt he got "special treatment", ie fair treatment, constitutional treatment, the average schmuck would never have gotten.

Same scenario with a nobody and he'd be up on weapons charges, even if there were no probable cause, which the article maintains was the case.

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Sure, the fact he is a celebrity helped him. A lot. If he was Joe Blow from Cocomo, the video tape proving he was not weaving, visibly under the influence, would never have been reviewed.

Again, try reading the article.

I have no doubt he got "special treatment", ie fair treatment, constitutional treatment, the average schmuck would never have gotten.

Same scenario with a nobody and he'd be up on weapons charges, even if there were no probable cause, which the article maintains was the case.

Your condescension is misplaced and your logic requires hurdling the likely truth to make a social comment.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
EGG said:
Oh yeah! It's more likely that the double drunk got off because he was driving perfectly fine than it was the court giving him the royal treatment,,, cuckoo!!!
its called the rule of law.

We pay our police to protect us, not to violate our homes and our cars from unreasonable searches.

Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
its called the rule of law.

We pay our police to protect us, not to violate our homes and our cars from unreasonable searches.

I agree completely

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
EGG said:
Your condescension is misplaced and your logic requires hurdling the likely truth to make a social comment.
Damn right I'm being condescending, and with every response you prove it is not misplaced, . You seem to prefer whining about celebrity privilege to even reading what facts are presented.

There is no question here. None at all. There was no probable cause and that's why he walked. The only logic being hurdled is your odd refusal to consider the facts presented in the article. But that would mean actually reading the information provided.

And yeah, I am making a social comment. A social criticism if that doesn't offend your sensibilities.

Or is freedom of expression as passe as probable cause?

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Damn right I'm being condescending, and with every response you prove it is not misplaced, . You seem to prefer whining about celebrity privilege to even reading what facts are presented.

There is no question here. None at all. There was no probable cause and that's why he walked. The only logic being hurdled is your odd refusal to consider the facts presented in the article. But that would mean actually reading the information provided.

And yeah, I am making a social comment. A social criticism if that doesn't offend your sensibilities.

Or is freedom of expression as passe as probable cause?

You're fighting with ghosts and against the extemely high probability that a man tooling around at over twice the legal drunkeness was driving like a drunk would drive. hicupp!!