I like Mike Nolan already

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
He's never had a dominant defense as a coordinator or head coach.

So......we'll see.
Not sure what you would call the '03 and '04 Baltimore defenses if not dominant. The '03 team had the best defense in yards per play allowed, 3rd in takeaways, easily the top defense by Football Outisders' metrics.

Of course, that was a long time ago.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I understand the point of what you are saying, but Taco wasn't cast aside because he didn't fit what we were doing. He was picked over TJ Watt in the draft because he was seen as a great fit for what we were doing. He was tossed to the curb because his play wasn't what Dallas hoped it would be and he developed an attitude because of it.

Point taken but he was made to play in a scheme that didn't fit him as Nolan said. Rod wanted him to attack a certain way. In Dallas it's Rod's way or the highway. Nolan said make the scheme fit the player. That was not Rod M's MO. He wanted to make the player fit the scheme. Not the opposite.

Madzo

The Gunshow
Reaction score

So......we'll see.

DC for Baltimore Ravens from 2002 - 2004, not sure if they were considered dominant, but had Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and ranked top 6 in the last two years of his term.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I’ll add. That I think turnovers are the most important aspect of winning defense in the NFL.

Forcing turnovers is king. Especially if you have a good offense. The most possessions you give your offense, the better field position you give them, the more points they are going to score.

If your team scores more points, it makes the opposing offense more one dimensional. And makes it easier to stop them or force even more
Turnovers.

Nolan has a history of coaching defenses that force turnovers.

Your defense can win a championship, if they give up yards and some points. As long as they are forcing turnovers and helping your offense score even more points.

Here's the thing: Rod Marinelli's last 3 years at DC in Chicago, his defense produced 31, 29, and 32 turnovers respectively. He came here and the Defense forced very few turnovers

You could argue that Wade Phillips has been one of THE best DC's over the last 4 decades in the NFL. While his defenses here had some moments, they never carried the day.

Mike Zimmer is highly respected for both motivation and scheme for post Dallas stops in Cincy and as the head man in Minny. He was run out of town in Dallas.

I'd point to the one common denominator in Dallas, but at this point its beating a dead Jerry.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He did well with saints lbs. let’s hope he changes our lbs for the better now. Jaylon was def in a down year.

EGTuna

Reaction score

So......we'll see.

Except, yes he has. He's had a top5 Defense by DVOA as a d-coordinator several times, including #1 with Baltimore in 2004. Like most coaches, when he has good talent, he does well, and when he doesn't he doesn't. Rare is the defensive coach that can win with mediocre talent. Belichick comes to mind. S'bout it.

conner01

Reaction score
Rather give up some big plays than let teams bleed you to death while dominating field position.

There is always a trade-off, but one thing is clear, bend don't break has to go.
It has killed our offense and the main reason we had the leagues worst starting field position
We kept teams out of the end zone but we allowed them to continually flip the field
Turn overs are momentum changers
The key is a very good free safety and CB’s who can thrive in man coverage, and catch

lk8701

Reaction score
If we Nolan instead of Marinelli we would have T J Watt instead of a couple bust years of Taco.

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score

So......we'll see.
True, But as a fan base we didn’t think much of Mike Zimmers D either. I’m just glad for a change in philosophy big DT , man coverage, this team sucks in zone, draft a Javon Kinlaw or Marvin Wilson, the lb play will improve

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Except, yes he has. He's had a top5 Defense by DVOA as a d-coordinator several times, including #1 with Baltimore in 2004. Like most coaches, when he has good talent, he does well, and when he doesn't he doesn't. Rare is the defensive coach that can win with mediocre talent. Belichick comes to mind. S'bout it.

I think we need a near complete re-tool of the defense. I might can think of 4 or 5 guys I might keep.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't love Nolan but I'll see what the end product looks like.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

So......we'll see.

Not entirely true, he was the DC for the Ravens in the mid 2000's and those defenses were really good but they also had Suggs, Reed, Lewis etc and had been a dominant defense before he arrived

Other than that I would agree.

His record in SF was abysmal and he hasn't really seemed to excel anywhere else but inheriting a pretty good situation in Baltimore

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
I think we need a near complete re-tool of the defense. I might can think of 4 or 5 guys I might keep.
Yes we have 3 or 4 DT that are FA none are worth keeping and Please don’t say Collins he can’t play the run never could. This game is won and lost in the trenches. We didn’t ask for Nolan as our DC. But a lot of us have asked for size at the DT, maybe this draft well finally got something we wanted

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Not sure what you would call the '03 and '04 Baltimore defenses if not dominant. The '03 team had the best defense in yards per play allowed, 3rd in takeaways, easily the top defense by Football Outisders' metrics.

Of course, that was a long time ago.

And that defense was dominant before he arrived (pretty much won them a Super Bowl in 2000)

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

So......we'll see.
go list the players from his teams on both sides of the ball lol. those players were ttttrrrrraaaasssshhhhhh