I like what i saw from Lance

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

1. year: redshirted it
2. year: Lance played his only season in college. He broke several records.
3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.
Then in the NFL has basically no (~ 3 games) experience.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

What did i see, what did i like:

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- I think he controlled the play calls very well
- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.
- the guy is a real threat in the running game.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.

leeblair

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.
I think Lance can be the real deal if the Cowboys choose to use him.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

colllege career:

NFL career:

Conclusion:

Not sure you can learn awareness which he lacks in spades.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you look at it from the perspective of a player who was the third overall pick and the potential savior of the Dallas Cowboys after Dak gets that Vegas money, it was a very disconcerting performance.

If you look at from the perspective of a player whose previous team had immediate buyers remorse as he fell from grace in only 2 years, being dealt for a single fourth round pick… it went about as expected.

However, you can also choose to look at it from the perspective of a player with such limited football acumen that he may not even be in the league in 3 years… and in that case the dude played awesome.

OP’s takeaway: You have the choice of whether or not you were disappointed by that game.

coult44

Reaction score

colllege career:

NFL career:

Conclusion:

Mickey Spagnola and Lee Blair approve of this message .

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Hasn't Lance played in less than 30 games in college and NFL since 2018? ( including games he didn't start in)

That's a lot of experience and reps missed.

I don't know how this will flesh out in the end
Exactly. He is now in year 4 and has no real experience and the little he has in NFL, he has looked bad. Also barely played in college and it was at FCS level on a stacked team. It was a dumb pick by SF to take him where they did as well as giving up the draft capital to do it. But they were desperate to move on from Jimmy G. He failed and so they moved on to Purdy, who is infinitely better than Lance in all aspects. Chalk Lance up to a high round bust. Happens every year. Lance is not long for this league. This isn't the league where inexperienced guys succeed with on the job experience can have a feel good story that often.

Adreme

Reaction score
I was waiting for this part. See first we all saw the game and the immediate reaction, based on the fact that we saw it live, was that Lance was bad and he had not improved at any of his weaknesses in college. Now we are the coping part where we try to pretend that what we saw with our eyes was not really what we saw.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm going to wait til after the last PS game on Lance. First game in nearly 2 years had to have him anxious and pressing. Look to see if there's some improvement next game, and the one after that. He should settle down and do better. If he doesn't, then he's a gamble that didn't pan out.

shabazz

Reaction score
Exactly. He is now in year 4 and has no real experience and the little he has in NFL, he has looked bad. Also barely played in college and it was at FCS level on a stacked team. It was a dumb pick by SF to take him where they did as well as giving up the draft capital to do it. But they were desperate to move on from Jimmy G. He failed and so they moved on to Purdy, who is infinitely better than Lance in all aspects. Chalk Lance up to a high round bust. Happens every year. Lance is not long for this league. This isn't the league where inexperienced guys succeed with on the job experience can have a feel good story that often.
I'm keeping an open mind and just waiting for progress however Im not sure that just TC and preseason games will be enough to get him to meet his possible potential.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The overthrow in the corner of the endzone to Cropper (I think) was 1000% because he can't read defenses at an extremely basic level.

Also, the idea that makes throwing the ball look easy is total nonsense. He has completely forced mechanics and footwork because they were so poor coming in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It was not nearly as bad as people on here acted.

All of his “struggles” can be fixed. That’s great news.

He is processing things slow right now and that makes total sense.
Not being able to see the field has been one of the knocks on him since SF. They were talking about it on Talking Cowboys that it’s hard to fix not being able to read the defense and see the field at the same time.

Chasing6

Reaction score

colllege career:

NFL career:

Conclusion:

So did Cooper Rush.

_sturt_

Reaction score

colllege career:

NFL career:

Conclusion:

Yeah, the overreactions here that he didn't come out in his first real game in forever are predictable, but what's nauseating is watching some of these pundits talk about it in such an oblivious way. There are too many me-too-boys in the Dallas media universe who don't really have much to offer in the way of critical thought.

It was legitimate to grade him at a C or C-minus, in my opinion, but that's okay... it's a baseline. Now, let's see if there is a noticeable jump from game to game, as things maybe slow down for him a bit.