I like what i saw from Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

1. year: redshirted it
2. year: Lance played his only season in college. He broke several records.
3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.
Then in the NFL has basically no (~ 3 games) experience.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

What did i see, what did i like:

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- I think he controlled the play calls very well
- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.
- the guy is a real threat in the running game.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.
I believe you just documented the best argument on why GM Jethro should never have traded for him.

The only thing you left out was he could not win the starting QB job in HS until his Senior year. He only completed 46 passes as a Senior in HS and people wonder why he did not get a scholarship. ‍♂️

He is not a QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How were you surprised? This fanbase/site doesnt know how to evaluate QB play. They think the current starter is top-5 and a year in/out MVP candidate.
Let me know your thoughts on how you would evaluate these stats for starting QB as a HS Senior???

46 out of 88 completions.
893 yards passing, 8 TD's
394 yards rushing, 5 TD's

CWR

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.
The moment you said Lance read the field and Dak couldn't you lost all credibility. He avg like 4 yards a pass, that's not reading the field.

Trash post. I was interested until I saw you were coming from an agenda. Now I expect everything to be slanted.

Chasing6

Reaction score

colllege career:

NFL career:

Conclusion:

Do you happen for work for CNN by chance????

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hasn't Lance played in less than 30 games in college and NFL since 2018? ( including games he didn't start in)

That's a lot of experience and reps missed.

I don't know how this will flesh out in the end
as i wrote he played 19 game sin college. And around 5 in the NFL.

And that was my main point: The guy has no experience at all. Still with only one season in college he was able to take over the starting position of the 49ers in his 2nd nfl season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Hasn't Lance played in less than 30 games in college and NFL since 2018? ( including games he didn't start in)

That's a lot of experience and reps missed.

I don't know how this will flesh out in the end
Then factor in he did not play in HS. His Agent needs to seriously win some kind of an award.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The moment you said Lance read the field and Dak couldn't you lost all credibility. He avg like 4 yards a pass, that's not reading the field.
Where did i say that ? Please dont make stuff up just because you wanr to bash my post.

I wrote that he was able to make good reads. Thats more than Dak could in the beginning of his career. And dak still has big issues with that. Thats not only my take, watch kurt warners take on his pre snap reads.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Yeah, the overreactions here that he didn't come out in his first real game in forever are predictable, but what's nauseating is watching some of these pundits talk about it in such an oblivious way. There are too many me-too-boys in the Dallas media universe who don't really have much to offer in the way of critical thought.

It was legitimate to grade him at a C or C-minus, in my opinion, but that's okay... it's a baseline. Now, let's see if there is a noticeable jump from game to game, as things maybe slow down for him a bit.
Yes. All i wanted to say is that his play wasnt that bad.

considering the circumstances and his experience to me he played a good game. He looked slow of course.
You could see how he was more thinking than juzst playing by instinct. But that was to be expected.

The guy played essentially only 1 season of college at the qb position.
Show me 1 player who is able to take over the no qb position in his 2nd season for an nfl club like he did with that kind of experience.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It was not nearly as bad as people on here acted.

All of his “struggles” can be fixed. That’s great news.

He is processing things slow right now and that makes total sense.
Yes he looked slow. And you are right thats to be expected. You could sense how much he has to think.
But that will get better with experience and time.

I am looking forward to his next few games. Lets see if he is able to build on that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
good reply.

anything valuable to say ?
To be honest I feel bad for the kid. Sounds like he is very likable, works hard and is very athletic.

However something has to be missing somewhere.

Not being able to get on the field in HS and have success is a huge red flag. He should have dominated like every other NFL QB at that level.

Never should should have come out of college after 1 year. I understand why he did. Unknowns of Covid hysteria and his agent telling him he will be a top 5 pick.

However he desperately needed to be further developed by playing more games. He is not going to get that in the NFL. He can not catch up playing 3 preseason games a year. He will not gain experience by watching from the sidelines.

He was behind coming out of college and 4 years later he is only further behind.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I'm keeping an open mind and just waiting for progress however Im not sure that just TC and preseason games will be enough to get him to meet his possible potential.
I dont think so too. Adn i dont expect him to be ready this season. The guy has essentially no experience at all at the position.

I think he needs one full season at the no 2 position. Then another off season and the TC and another full set of ps games as the starter. Then he should be able to be a starter given his advertised talent.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
To be honest I feel bad for the kid. Sounds like he is very likable, works hard and is very athletic.

However something has to be missing somewhere.

Not being able to get on the field in HS and have success is a huge red flag. He should have dominated like every other NFL QB at that level.

Never should should have come out of college after 1 year. I understand why he did. Unknowns of Covid hysteria and his agent telling him he will be a top 5 pick.

However he desperately needed to be further developed by playing more games. He is not going to get that in the NFL. He can not catch up playing 3 preseason games a year. He will not gain experience by watching from the sidelines.

He was behind coming out of college and 4 years later he is only further behind.
These are some good points. I also fear he wont be able to get the experience and playtime now that he is in the nfl.

Chasing6

Reaction score
These are some good points. I also fear he wont be able to get the experience and playtime now that he is in the nfl.
He maybe faced with another tough decision. Go get experience in the UFL or take more money on another NFL team taking a risk on him next year.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Yes. All i wanted to say is that his play wasnt that bad.

considering the circumstances and his experience to me he played a good game. He looked slow of course.
You could see how he was more thinking than juzst playing by instinct. But that was to be expected.

The guy played essentially only 1 season of college at the qb position.
Show me 1 player who is able to take over the no qb position in his 2nd season for an nfl club like he did with that kind of experience.
The one guy I did hear take the road-not-taken path mentioned Jordan Love's first preseason games... fwiw. Can't remember who, but it might've been on that new One Star podcast.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The one guy I did hear take the road-not-taken path mentioned Jordan Love's first preseason games... fwiw. Can't remember who, but it might've been on that new One Star podcast.
Take a look at Jordan Loves HS and College stats. Not an even close comparison.