I Love Our Draft

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Round 1.

Clearly the Cowboys were never considering a CB or WR. From all we've read and heard, Anthony Spencer was the guy all along, and they were ready to draft him at #22 until the final 1.5 minute mark when the Cleveland deal was made.

We all had the WR or CB we wanted, but if you trust Ireland, Wade, and JJ and stick to your draft board, you have to be happy that you got the exact guy you wanted 4 slots lower than expected and picked up Cleveland's first round pick in 2008 for your 3rd and 5th this year.

Spencer, whether he starts right away or not, is going to be a huge impact guy this year from all accounts. He's incredibly strong having done 30 reps, and he ran a 4.7 while Gaines Adams only ran 4.64...6/100's of a second isn't even a half step. He's a 3 year starter, and as a senior he recorded 93 tackles, 26.5 behind the line, 10.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, and had 6 pass breakups...those are incredible numbers for a DE, great numbers for a LB. He has forced quite a large number of fumbles every year. Spencer is going to be a beast.

Round 2

I'm not thrilled that we didn't get a WR here, but....if you weren't going to get one of the top 7-8 WR's, all the rest are really guys that are just like the ones you already have on the roster and not far from the guys you have later in the draft.

Round 3

I love the selection of James Martin, OT Boston College...6'7"...311, very fast at 5.08. We got a battle tested big time performer with tons of experience and durability. Martin started at both OT and OG, and was the 6th rated OT in the nation by most people...My guess is that he will end up as a swing guy in his first season.

Round 4

Isaiah Stanback....who? I'll tell you who. He's more talented, stronger, and more experienced than Patrick Crayton was. Stanback actually played QB and WR at WAshington. AT Washington, he played against fast and great defenses at UCLA and USC. STanback is an incredible runner with the ball in his hands. As a junior, he ran for 96 yards and a TD against Arizona. He was 14-18 for 201 and a TD passing against USC. He threw for 301 against CAl and 353 against Notre DAme. He had 350 yards rushing in 8 games this season on a sprained foot. AS a redshirt freshman, he played in all 11 games at WR for the Huskies, switching to Qb his sophomore year.

He comes out of college with more WR experience than most other QB's making the transition, like Crayton, and he brings big time football experience from the PAC that Crayton didn't have coming from a small school. AT 6'2.5" and 215, he ran a 4.55. This kid is an athlete.

I'm not trying to compare him to guys like Bowe or Meacham in round 1, but this guy makes sense for us where we are with Crayton 1 season from free agency...I'd look for STanback to possibly hold for kicks and be involved in the return game, something he did at Washington before becoming their only option at QB.

Doug Free... Another OT/OG...6'6.5", 320, and ran a 5.19!!! This guy can move. He was the LT on the line behind which the leading rusher in the nation ran. Maybe he's Flozell's replacement, maybe it's Martin, maybe it's McQ, but these athletic, big OT's are just the type of guys who become great OG's in the NFL if not starting at OT. Besides, now having 3 young OT's on the team makes it more likely that Leonard Davis will be able to remain at OG for a long, long time.

This draft hasn't been flashy...where's the WR and CB? Personally, I never thought we'd bring in another safety...just didn't make sense at this point. You'd be bringing in guys to try and take the position away from the guy you just drafted last year or the guy you just invested fairly good money in through free agency...you can't have all those safeties on your roster.

For those of us who've been moaning about the OL and the pass rush for the past 6 years or more, this is a great draft that will make us a better, deeper team at both positions. You can't make a committment to improving your pass rush and your OL without doing exactly what we did this draft, pass on the marginal WR's and CB's at the end of round 1 and in round 2.

It's not flashy, but I love this draft...having two #1's next year is a happy bonus that will give us a reason to follow the Browns... :D The Browns did what is best for their team, and they had a great draft for their long term future, which is the way successful teams do it. WE didn't "rape" them for the pick...the Browns did the smart thing for them, long term. They will be a better organization for having the top 3 guys they got by dealing with us.

The short term benefits us because those rookies aren't going to create lots of wins playing in the division with Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cinncinnati...that's 5-6 losses right there. They'll see the benefits of this draft 2-3 years from now and will start to become a factor again, but we'll see the immediate benefits next draft...2008.

Roughneck

Reaction score
I'm not disappointed with the latter part of our draft but not thrilled either. I think they all have the potential to be key contributors. We'll just have to wait and see.

In a way though, it kind of doesn't matter. The selection of Spencer and the acquisition of a (most likely) Top 10 Pick next year has made this draft a raging success no matter what we did from there. In a mere 5 pick range (from pick 22 to pick 26), Dallas and Jerruh earned themselves an A freakin plus. No question.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Stanback said he never ran a 4.55. He said he had no idea where that came from.

He claimed to be a 4.3/4.4 guy.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
wayne motley;1478346 said:
Besides, now having 3 young OT's on the team makes it more likely that Leonard Davis will be able to remain at OG for a long, long time.

I never thought we'd bring in another safety...just didn't make sense at this point. You'd be bringing in guys to try and take the position away from the guy you just drafted last year or the guy you just invested fairly good money in through free agency...you can't have all those safeties on your roster.

great point about Davis... and I too agree that safety was never in the works...unless Landry was there

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I'm a fan as well.

I'd still feel more comfortable if we had managed to grab Branch or Soliai.

It was hard watching Meriweather go to New England. Even harder to watch DeOssie go to the Giants...but other than that, its been a good weekend thus far.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wayne motley;1478346 said:
The Browns did what is best for their team, and they had a great draft for their long term future, which is the way successful teams do it. WE didn't "rape" them for the pick.
Wanna bet I can find 12 jurors oops I mean 12 completely unbias Cowboy fans who disagree with you? :lmao:

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
I am satisfied with the draft so far, Spencer and "the Pick" are great, I am guardedly watching James Martin from the third and hope he is half the hitter some people say and better than who we have so far. Stanback is a wish and prayer so I am not going to worry about it. "IF" his foot heats when the screws come out we got a great pick for the spot and if not we didn't spend a great deal on a multi-talented player. Doug Free is another guarded acceptance pick. The OL needs developmental players and we got another one. Hope he fills the bill.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Bizwah;1478398 said:
Stanback said he never ran a 4.55. He said he had no idea where that came from.

He claimed to be a 4.3/4.4 guy.

WEll, he may be right...great...he sure looked fast and strong in highlights, but 4.55 is still plenty fast for a WR of his dimensions....that's more like Irvin speed.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1478423 said:
Wanna bet I can find 12 jurors oops I mean 12 completely unbias Cowboy fans who disagree with you? :lmao:

ONly a biased fan would think we hosed them...the deal works great for both teams, which is how deals are supposed to work.

Consider this....It doesn't matter that we moved back into the first round and got the guy we'd targetted, and saying we gave up the other picks for a first next year is ridiculous...that's how we look at it, but the fact for Cleveland is that they got a franchise QB with a first round grade from every publication.

Cleveland needed a QB....they used their pick on a franchise LT. They used their next year's pick, when there aren't many top QB's in the draft, for a franchise QB this year.

They used a first on an OT and a first on a QB....that's a good deal for them. But you're right...some folks won't see it that way. Obviously Cleveland was happy with it, which explains why they came back to us for more....hahaha.

ddh33

Reaction score
Whether it's the popular opinion or not, I completely agree. I think/thought that Dallas did a very good job. They got the pass rusher, which I believe is huge. They added two lineman to a team that is in desperate need of young, quality lineman, and they were able to add a specialty player who may be a boom or bust, but the boom on him could be pretty special...

The Stanbach pick interests me primarily because he is a guy that defenses will always have to account for. His speed makes sure of that, and when you consider the options for reverses, options, etc, that could be fun. Not to mention, he does have some promise as a receiver and special teams guy.

The lineman aren't flashy, but they were needed. I thought both picks were extremely good value as well.

The Spencer pick suits me just fine too because I think you always need pass rushers.

Now, when you also add in the future #1 of the Browns, I have a hard time seeing how you don't give this draft a fairly high grade.

Sabu1

Reaction score
I agree for the most part. Spencer is the lone immediate impact guy from this draft for Dallas. Still not real high on the Stanbeck pick, but I'm okay with the rest of the selections. So I give the draft a C+. Factor in the Browns pick next year, it's a B+.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
ddh33;1479165 said:
Whether it's the popular opinion or not, I completely agree. I think/thought that Dallas did a very good job. They got the pass rusher, which I believe is huge. They added two lineman to a team that is in desperate need of young, quality lineman, and they were able to add a specialty player who may be a boom or bust, but the boom on him could be pretty special...

The Stanbach pick interests me primarily because he is a guy that defenses will always have to account for. His speed makes sure of that, and when you consider the options for reverses, options, etc, that could be fun. Not to mention, he does have some promise as a receiver and special teams guy.

The lineman aren't flashy, but they were needed. I thought both picks were extremely good value as well.

The Spencer pick suits me just fine too because I think you always need pass rushers.

Now, when you also add in the future #1 of the Browns, I have a hard time seeing how you don't give this draft a fairly high grade.

I also like the picks we made at Kicker, FB, and CB.

Round 6

Lots of whining about leaving Crosby on the board, but we weren't the only ones...everyone wants to go with the scouts' board, BPA stuff, but then when we take someone other than the guy they read about in a magazine, they get all upset. Complain about JJ trading picks and moving around, but don't complain when he follows the scouts' suggestions and the board instead of checking his draft publication for selections.

I think Folk makes the team easily...he either wins the entire job in camp, or if Grammatica is more accurate, we'll keep Folk to kick off until he's ready to take over...unless you want to see Grammatica dropping them around the 10 yard line next season.

Deon Anderson...5'10.5" FB, 246...excellent lead blocker and receiver, plus led his team in special teams tackles last two years...had nine this past year as a wedge buster...hahaha, and the guy is much much faster than the top FB, McClain, who ran a 4.9 while our guy ran a 4.73.

Round 7

Courtney Brown...6'1.5", 203, ran a 4.39....likely too big for CB in the NFL, but who knows...with that speed, size, and CB coverage experience, at the very least we have another candidate for the future of our FS position.

ONe more pick....again, not a flashy draft, but we're taking care of the OL, pass rush, and bringing in some talented guys late who may find roles...perhaps even one will surprise us.

I like this sooooo much better than most of Parcells' drafts.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Isaiah Stanback....who? I'll tell you who. He's more talented, stronger, and more experienced than Patrick Crayton was. Stanback actually played QB and WR at WAshington. AT Washington, he played against fast and great defenses at UCLA and USC. STanback is an incredible runner with the ball in his hands. As a junior, he ran for 96 yards and a TD against Arizona. He was 14-18 for 201 and a TD passing against USC. He threw for 301 against CAl and 353 against Notre DAme. He had 350 yards rushing in 8 games this season on a sprained foot. AS a redshirt freshman, he played in all 11 games at WR for the Huskies, switching to Qb his sophomore year.

He comes out of college with more WR experience than most other QB's making the transition, like Crayton, and he brings big time football experience from the PAC that Crayton didn't have coming from a small school. AT 6'2.5" and 215, he ran a 4.55. This kid is an athlete.

I'm not trying to compare him to guys like Bowe or Meacham in round 1, but this guy makes sense for us where we are with Crayton 1 season from free agency...I'd look for STanback to possibly hold for kicks and be involved in the return game, something he did at Washington before becoming their only option at QB.

We messed up and should of took this guy first.....just kidding....great post

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
wayne motley;1478458 said:
ONly a biased fan would think we hosed them...the deal works great for both teams, which is how deals are supposed to work.

Consider this....It doesn't matter that we moved back into the first round and got the guy we'd targetted, and saying we gave up the other picks for a first next year is ridiculous...that's how we look at it, but the fact for Cleveland is that they got a franchise QB with a first round grade from every publication.

Cleveland needed a QB....they used their pick on a franchise LT. They used their next year's pick, when there aren't many top QB's in the draft, for a franchise QB this year.

They used a first on an OT and a first on a QB....that's a good deal for them. But you're right...some folks won't see it that way. Obviously Cleveland was happy with it, which explains why they came back to us for more....hahaha.

I disagree, there two potential Franchise Qbs in draft next year, Brian Brohm for sure and I forget the Hawii kid, who might be another one. I think both are probably better prospects at QB then Russel or Quinn, IMO.

But then you never know how they might do next year or how well they might do, making them out of reach for browns if they do even average next season. So Browns made their choice right now, and cowboys made a good choice for future.

Really Cowboys really didn't have a glaring need this year, other than for future possible starters in mind in their selections. So it was Win/Win for both for now, till we know how the pick will turn out for Cowboys and how Quinn turns out of Browns.

I just don't think that highly of Quinn or Jamarcus Russel, both are big Question marks in my mind. They could end up being great, but I don't believe they are sure thing, say like I thought Vince Young was ( well I thought Vince shouldn't even be starting for 2 years, but thats another matter). But I guess thats just individual opinions, like we know, everyone has them, and most of them stink :D

Chuck 54

Reaction score
eduncan22;1479244 said:
I think this is a very disappointing draft.

I truly think you'll feel differently when you see these kids in camp and in preseason next year. I think Spencer will finally push Greg Ellis back to situational pass rushing DE and move Carpenter to pure inside LB, where James and Ayodel were not exactly spectacular.

This kid is stronger than Ware and actually had a better college career rushing the QB and creating havoc than Ware did, although Ware had the better measurables.

And this will be the first time in many years that I actually see a possibility of getting younger and better on the OL in the next 2-3 years. This will certainly be Adams final year in Dallas...no way we give him a new contract at his age and performance level.

You didn't see a lot of names you read about in publications, nor did you see the names mentioned like first round WR or CB, but it's a good thing we actually had Spencer tagged as our guy because all the CB's were gone before we came up at 22, and the WR's available there were not a sure thing.