CFZ I'm Just Realizing How Much I Like Jalen Brooks

Pass2Run

Reaction score
First of all, I think we drafted some players who fans are underestimating, and I think many, if not all can contribute year one. We all know Mazi Smith's roll is to help stop the run. He may have a little more in him than meet's the eye to some, but let's move on. I think Schoonmaker will separate himself as a go-to guy, which is what he was at Michigan. At Michigan, he just kinda hung around and blocked until they really needed him. Then he'd come up big. That's what I expect from Schoonmaker in his first year with the Cowboys. He's sneaky good, and that's kinda what you need. People will be in for a surprise, if he stays healthy, I suspect.

Then, there's Overshown. Man, where do I start with this guy. There's a reason we drafted him. He's like that guy Dave Campbell described when he got back from scouting Woodson. And make no mistake. This dude has some Woodson in him. Then, Fehoko, and I've raved about him in another thread. But one player I think I initially underestimated was is Richards. He's technically sound, and uses his leg strength and technique as good as any rookie. His lack of bench press wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't see it on paper. Then, even I have been sleeping on Eric Scott Jr. Man, he's got some game to him. He reminds me of another guy Asthma Field and I were discussing, from Utah, Clark Phillips. Just a lankier, rangier version. Deuce Vaugh, again, he's going to ball out, and people are going to be like whaaat?

Watch out.

But this last guy, I think could very be the sneaky need this team needs, a 4th WR who can make Gallup more of a number 2 if needed. He's not blazing fast. But he is super scrappy and super-savvy in his route running. He may not get you 1,000 yards year one, or whatever. But he can very possibly be that guy who comes up clutch on 3rd down. He has a lot of that element that made Michael Gallup such a good WR for a rookie, that level of athleticism and acrobatics that you either have or you don't. There's no coaching that. But anyway, he has that. And as much favored other players myself, I see why they spent a draft pick while my favorite pet cat went UDFA. There truly may be something there with that player.

Talk smack about the highlights all you want. They are a good indicator more than they are a bad one, and that's all we fans really have. That, and games on YouTube, so you use what you have. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm about an upcoming season.

Enjoy this highlight video of all of our draft picks.

Cheers

T-RO

Reaction score
1713.jpg

Let's summarize the takes you've had this offseason, Pass2Run:

• Overshown is another Darren Woodson
  • 4th round Fehoko will rock the world
  • 7th round pick Jalen Brooks? Superstar
  • Schoonmaker is the "go-to-guy" in "year one"
  • 6th round pick Eric Scott Jr. will follow the path of one of the best corners in the game
  • You put UDFA David Durden in the same sentence as Miles Austin
  • You've touted flailing 2nd year receiver Jalen Tolbert in the same sentence as the great Ed McCaffrey
  • You talked about UDFA Moreno-Cropper as the potential next Stephon Diggs
  • I'm vague on it, but I think you also hailed UDFA Isaiah Land and Whoopi Goldberg as promising option quarterbacks.

With the last line excluded, these are all ***YOUR ACTUAL WORDS*** over the past 2 months.

These nonsense posts are high caliber farce...on the level of the great Molly Shannon in the "Super Staaar" SNL.

I commend you, sir. Remarkable work.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jalen Brooks shows some potential for a 7th round pick...

Kind of reminds me of the now departed Noah Brown.

Jalen Brooks:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
  • Brooks catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.
  • Balanced, savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully.
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and Brooks has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Does not explode off the line of scrimmage and runs with long strides.
  • Brooks has constantly ran a limited route tree.
  • He’s largely a non-factor downfield, and Brooks had issues with drops when running behind a defensive back and tracking the ball. More quick than fast, he won’t always be able to run away from NFL defensive backs.
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jalen-Brooks-WR-SouthCarolina

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Jalen Brooks:

• Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
  • Brooks catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.
  • Balanced, savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully.
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and Brooks has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.

• He’s largely a non-factor downfield, and Brooks had issues with drops when running behind a defensive back and tracking the ball. More quick than fast, he won’t always be able to run away from NFL defensive backs.

This guy is going to be a stud. He was ranked as the 57th best receiver in the draft.

Jarntt

Reaction score
"I think many, if not all can contribute year one"

I think the biggest mistake some fans make is expecting too much too soon from draft classes. There is practically zero chance "all" will contribute year one and there is nothing wrong with that. Actually there is little chance all will ever contribute but especially year one. In order to contribute year one, you need health and opportunity and need to be ready from a playbook and game speed perspective and also a strength/physical perspective on top of having NFL level talent. Not easy. I'm excited t see this group though.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First of all, I think we drafted some players who fans are underestimating, and I think many, if not all can contribute year one. We all know Mazi Smith's roll is to help stop the run. He may have a little more in him than meet's the eye to some, but let's move on. I think Schoonmaker will separate himself as a go-to guy, which is what he was at Michigan. At Michigan, he just kinda hung around and blocked until they really needed him. Then he'd come up big. That's what I expect from Schoonmaker in his first year with the Cowboys. He's sneaky good, and that's kinda what you need. People will be in for a surprise, if he stays healthy, I suspect.

Then, there's Overshown. Man, where do I start with this guy. There's a reason we drafted him. He's like that guy Dave Campbell described when he got back from scouting Woodson. And make no mistake. This dude has some Woodson in him. Then, Fehoko, and I've raved about him in another thread. But one player I think I initially underestimated was is Richards. He's technically sound, and uses his leg strength and technique as good as any rookie. His lack of bench press wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't see it on paper. Then, even I have been sleeping on Eric Scott Jr. Man, he's got some game to him. He reminds me of another guy Asthma Field and I were discussing, from Utah, Clark Phillips. Just a lankier, rangier version. Deuce Vaugh, again, he's going to ball out, and people are going to be like whaaat?

Watch out.

But this last guy, I think could very be the sneaky need this team needs, a 4th WR who can make Gallup more of a number 2 if needed. He's not blazing fast. But he is super scrappy and super-savvy in his route running. He may not get you 1,000 yards year one, or whatever. But he can very possibly be that guy who comes up clutch on 3rd down. He has a lot of that element that made Michael Gallup such a good WR for a rookie, that level of athleticism and acrobatics that you either have or you don't. There's no coaching that. But anyway, he has that. And as much favored other players myself, I see why they spent a draft pick while my favorite pet cat went UDFA. There truly may be something there with that player.

Talk smack about the highlights all you want. They are a good indicator more than they are a bad one, and that's all we fans really have. That, and games on YouTube, so you use what you have. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm about an upcoming season.

Enjoy this highlight video of all of our draft picks.

Cheers

Schooner has missed the entire offseason so far in a complicated position. His chances are making in impact early are going down the tubes daily. He has to be healthy the entire TC and be able to grasp everything.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1713.jpg

Let's summarize the takes you've had this offseason, Pass2Run:

• Overshown is another Darren Woodson
  • 4th round Fehoko will rock the world
  • 7th round pick Jalen Brooks? Superstar
  • Schoonmaker is the "go-to-guy" in "year one"
  • 6th round pick Eric Scott Jr. will follow the path of one of the best corners in the game
  • You put UDFA David Durden in the same sentence as Miles Austin
  • You've touted flailing 2nd year receiver Jalen Tolbert in the same sentence as the great Ed McCaffrey
  • You talked about UDFA Moreno-Cropper as the potential next Stephon Diggs
  • I'm vague on it, but I think you also hailed UDFA Isaiah Land and Whoopi Goldberg as promising option quarterbacks.

With the last line excluded, these are all ***YOUR ACTUAL WORDS*** over the past 2 months.

These nonsense posts are high caliber farce...on the level of the great Molly Shannon in the "Super Staaar" SNL.

I commend you, sir. Remarkable work.
:lmao::laugh::laugh::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"I think many, if not all can contribute year one"

I think the biggest mistake some fans make is expecting too much too soon from draft classes. There is practically zero chance "all" will contribute year one and there is nothing wrong with that. Actually there is little chance all will ever contribute but especially year one. In order to contribute year one, you need health and opportunity and need to be ready from a playbook and game speed perspective and also a strength/physical perspective on top of having NFL level talent. Not easy. I'm excited t see this group though.
Mazi is the only guy I see making a big impact this year. Maybe sprinkle in Shooner the 2nd half of the year if he can stay healthy. Deuce a little.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah I think this guy is going to be good too. But we gotta see him against the best.
True…..he had a lot of time to get to the quarterback and he won’t have that in the pros

the good news is that he already has instincts and aggression and that cant be taught

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Jalen Brooks:

sounds like a good candidate for PS. I think the WR group from #4-10 is loaded with lots of potential and they are pretty close. I think tolbert is a shoe in for 4th. we are not just going to throw him out, in his second year after spending a 3rd. I think Fehoko if he can play ST, then with his speed and size is also a shoe in. Turpin is a mystery. great in returns. that's needed, but what else you got. he has to show a little something. if we decide to throw Vaughn as a kick returner (and he shows a little something), then turpin may be a trade candidate and we keep one of these other WRs with potential.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
sounds like a good candidate for PS. I think the WR group from #4-10 is loaded with lots of potential and they are pretty close. I think tolbert is a shoe in for 4th. we are not just going to throw him out, in his second year after spending a 3rd. I think Fehoko if he can play ST, then with his speed and size is also a shoe in. Turpin is a mystery. great in returns. that's needed, but what else you got. he has to show a little something. if we decide to throw Vaughn as a kick returner (and he shows a little something), then turpin may be a trade candidate and we keep one of these other WRs with potential.
100% agree. Good points, brother.

DFWJC

Reaction score
:bow:

Great draft class.

And I'd add UDFA class as well.
Seems like they could be better than the pundits think, at least.

For example, the CBS staff said Dallas had the very worst draft class in the entire NFL. 32nd out of 32

Many had us in the high 20s.

So even if they are middle of the pack, they're better than some think