CFZ I'm Just Realizing How Much I Like Jalen Brooks

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's great to have an influx of new talent on the team, and certainly some guys will contribute way more than others, but it's not realistic to expect an entire draft class to come in and contribute. Go to Wikipedia and start looking up Dallas Cowboys' draft classes, say, from the last 10 years. Chances are, each season you look up, only a few of the players actually stuck around. Even on the so called "excellent drafts", you won't find an entire class come in and play.

That's not me being "negative" either. That is just me understanding reality.

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry did a great job with this draft!!
I better duck
We will see in a couple years. I like a lot of what they did and see the potential
A real important part of this season though is gonna be who can take that next step from last years class

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I remember you making an almost identical thread last year around the same time regarding Jalen Tolbert when people were rightly expressing concern about the WR group.

I think people need to pump the brakes and be realistic about incoming draft picks.

Yes the cowboys are a good drafting team overall. But a lot of these players need time to become key contributors in the NFL.

If the cowboys have like 3 guys who contribute heavily as rookies. That’s a great start for a rookie class. But some of these guys are 1. Going to need time 2. Never going to make it in the NFL period.
That's right.

The season cooled me off on Tolbert. It's still yet to be decided. This camp will tell.

I await your legal complaint in the mail.

I was also off on Cooper Rush, if you want to amended it and sue me for being wrong on two things.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First of all, I think we drafted some players who fans are underestimating, and I think many, if not all can contribute year one. We all know Mazi Smith's roll is to help stop the run. He may have a little more in him than meet's the eye to some, but let's move on. I think Schoonmaker will separate himself as a go-to guy, which is what he was at Michigan. At Michigan, he just kinda hung around and blocked until they really needed him. Then he'd come up big. That's what I expect from Schoonmaker in his first year with the Cowboys. He's sneaky good, and that's kinda what you need. People will be in for a surprise, if he stays healthy, I suspect.

Then, there's Overshown. Man, where do I start with this guy. There's a reason we drafted him. He's like that guy Dave Campbell described when he got back from scouting Woodson. And make no mistake. This dude has some Woodson in him. Then, Fehoko, and I've raved about him in another thread. But one player I think I initially underestimated was is Richards. He's technically sound, and uses his leg strength and technique as good as any rookie. His lack of bench press wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't see it on paper. Then, even I have been sleeping on Eric Scott Jr. Man, he's got some game to him. He reminds me of another guy Asthma Field and I were discussing, from Utah, Clark Phillips. Just a lankier, rangier version. Deuce Vaugh, again, he's going to ball out, and people are going to be like whaaat?

Watch out.

But this last guy, I think could very be the sneaky need this team needs, a 4th WR who can make Gallup more of a number 2 if needed. He's not blazing fast. But he is super scrappy and super-savvy in his route running. He may not get you 1,000 yards year one, or whatever. But he can very possibly be that guy who comes up clutch on 3rd down. He has a lot of that element that made Michael Gallup such a good WR for a rookie, that level of athleticism and acrobatics that you either have or you don't. There's no coaching that. But anyway, he has that. And as much favored other players myself, I see why they spent a draft pick while my favorite pet cat went UDFA. There truly may be something there with that player.

Talk smack about the highlights all you want. They are a good indicator more than they are a bad one, and that's all we fans really have. That, and games on YouTube, so you use what you have. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm about an upcoming season.

Enjoy this highlight video of all of our draft picks.

Cheers

I like him too. I'm excited to watch him in camp and in the preseason.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's great to have an influx of new talent on the team, and certainly some guys will contribute way more than others, but it's not realistic to expect an entire draft class to come in and contribute. Go to Wikipedia and start looking up Dallas Cowboys' draft classes, say, from the last 10 years. Chances are, each season you look up, only a few of the players actually stuck around. Even on the so called "excellent drafts", you won't find an entire class come in and play.

That's not me being "negative" either. That is just me understanding reality.
I understand this reality as well. That said, I just feel like this draft was more hit than miss. The player with the highest miss rate, say, if we were to have a vote right now, would likely be Jalen Brooks, if I were to guess.

But that's my point. Sure, he's got an uphill battle. But I like the guy enough to have written a post about how much I like him.

It's also easier for a player to succeed in the NFL when you don't have to throw him to the wolves in a starting position, when you can bring them along. Another thing most people know is that rookie players don't often make an impact early on in starting positions. So, it can take some time.

Also, look at Dallas' hit rate recently, most recently.

Tyler Smith - started/contributed.
Sam Williams - played/contributed
Tolbert - busted year 1
Ferguson - played/contributed
Bland - played/started at times/contributed with 5 picks year 1
Clark - played/started at times/somewhat contributed
Ridgeway - PS'd/then poached

How many misses in that class? TBD, but looks pretty good so far.

There are reasons to be optimistic. If you're not, that's fine. But I choose to be on this side. That's because I think we actually may have some talent here.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I should have included in the title, how much I like Jalen Brooks in the WCO. See this play at 3:55.

I also like Cropper, enough where I would have considered drafting him, for the same reasons. He fits what I imagine McCarthy's Texas Coast scheme to be like.

Can he at least be a Noah Brown? I think so.

For the record, I don't see him as being a top WR. I think the underrated guy who could make that jump, possibly, would be Cropper. But I still like Brooks.

Last edited:

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
1713.jpg

Let's summarize the takes you've had this offseason, Pass2Run:

• Overshown is another Darren Woodson
  • 4th round Fehoko will rock the world
  • 7th round pick Jalen Brooks? Superstar
  • Schoonmaker is the "go-to-guy" in "year one"
  • 6th round pick Eric Scott Jr. will follow the path of one of the best corners in the game
  • You put UDFA David Durden in the same sentence as Miles Austin
  • You've touted flailing 2nd year receiver Jalen Tolbert in the same sentence as the great Ed McCaffrey
  • You talked about UDFA Moreno-Cropper as the potential next Stephon Diggs
  • I'm vague on it, but I think you also hailed UDFA Isaiah Land and Whoopi Goldberg as promising option quarterbacks.

With the last line excluded, these are all ***YOUR ACTUAL WORDS*** over the past 2 months.

These nonsense posts are high caliber farce...on the level of the great Molly Shannon in the "Super Staaar" SNL.

I commend you, sir. Remarkable work.
Same thing around here every year. No wonder there are a lot of disappointed kids around here !

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I understand this reality as well. That said, I just feel like this draft was more hit than miss. The player with the highest miss rate, say, if we were to have a vote right now, would likely be Jalen Brooks, if I were to guess.

But that's my point. Sure, he's got an uphill battle. But I like the guy enough to have written a post about how much I like him.

It's also easier for a player to succeed in the NFL when you don't have to throw him to the wolves in a starting position, when you can bring them along. Another thing most people know is that rookie players don't often make an impact early on in starting positions. So, it can take some time.

Also, look at Dallas' hit rate recently, most recently.

Tyler Smith - started/contributed.
Sam Williams - played/contributed
Tolbert - busted year 1
Ferguson - played/contributed
Bland - played/started at times/contributed with 5 picks year 1
Clark - played/started at times/somewhat contributed
Ridgeway - PS'd/then poached

How many misses in that class? TBD, but looks pretty good so far.

There are reasons to be optimistic. If you're not, that's fine. But I choose to be on this side. That's because I think we actually may have some talent here.
Anything is possible. The universe is a spectacular place full of surprises, so, I hope you're right. The more the merrier with the talent for this team.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That's right.

The season cooled me off on Tolbert. It's still yet to be decided. This camp will tell.

I await your legal complaint in the mail.

I was also off on Cooper Rush, if you want to amended it and sue me for being wrong on two things.
Im just saying. You may want to pump the brakes a bit. It’s ok to like a draft pick but expecting anything out of these guys right off the bat, you’ll be disappointed more often than not.

Even the ones we like. The chances of them becoming anything of note are unfortunately slim.