CFZ I'm Just Realizing How Much I Like Jalen Brooks

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
https://i
50rV9ow.gif

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
First of all, I think we drafted some players who fans are underestimating, and I think many, if not all can contribute year one. We all know Mazi Smith's roll is to help stop the run. He may have a little more in him than meet's the eye to some, but let's move on. I think Schoonmaker will separate himself as a go-to guy, which is what he was at Michigan. At Michigan, he just kinda hung around and blocked until they really needed him. Then he'd come up big. That's what I expect from Schoonmaker in his first year with the Cowboys. He's sneaky good, and that's kinda what you need. People will be in for a surprise, if he stays healthy, I suspect.

Then, there's Overshown. Man, where do I start with this guy. There's a reason we drafted him. He's like that guy Dave Campbell described when he got back from scouting Woodson. And make no mistake. This dude has some Woodson in him. Then, Fehoko, and I've raved about him in another thread. But one player I think I initially underestimated was is Richards. He's technically sound, and uses his leg strength and technique as good as any rookie. His lack of bench press wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't see it on paper. Then, even I have been sleeping on Eric Scott Jr. Man, he's got some game to him. He reminds me of another guy Asthma Field and I were discussing, from Utah, Clark Phillips. Just a lankier, rangier version. Deuce Vaugh, again, he's going to ball out, and people are going to be like whaaat?

Watch out.

But this last guy, I think could very be the sneaky need this team needs, a 4th WR who can make Gallup more of a number 2 if needed. He's not blazing fast. But he is super scrappy and super-savvy in his route running. He may not get you 1,000 yards year one, or whatever. But he can very possibly be that guy who comes up clutch on 3rd down. He has a lot of that element that made Michael Gallup such a good WR for a rookie, that level of athleticism and acrobatics that you either have or you don't. There's no coaching that. But anyway, he has that. And as much favored other players myself, I see why they spent a draft pick while my favorite pet cat went UDFA. There truly may be something there with that player.

Talk smack about the highlights all you want. They are a good indicator more than they are a bad one, and that's all we fans really have. That, and games on YouTube, so you use what you have. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm about an upcoming season.

Enjoy this highlight video of all of our draft picks.

Cheers

Bring it Pass... all camp... very entertaining.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1713.jpg

Let's summarize the takes you've had this offseason, Pass2Run:

• Overshown is another Darren Woodson
  • 4th round Fehoko will rock the world
  • 7th round pick Jalen Brooks? Superstar
  • Schoonmaker is the "go-to-guy" in "year one"
  • 6th round pick Eric Scott Jr. will follow the path of one of the best corners in the game
  • You put UDFA David Durden in the same sentence as Miles Austin
  • You've touted flailing 2nd year receiver Jalen Tolbert in the same sentence as the great Ed McCaffrey
  • You talked about UDFA Moreno-Cropper as the potential next Stephon Diggs
  • I'm vague on it, but I think you also hailed UDFA Isaiah Land and Whoopi Goldberg as promising option quarterbacks.

With the last line excluded, these are all ***YOUR ACTUAL WORDS*** over the past 2 months.

These nonsense posts are high caliber farce...on the level of the great Molly Shannon in the "Super Staaar" SNL.

I commend you, sir. Remarkable work.
It is his opinions. And I find it refreshing and far better than the usual player and team negativity posts about the smallest positive information.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I remember you making an almost identical thread last year around the same time regarding Jalen Tolbert when people were rightly expressing concern about the WR group.

I think people need to pump the brakes and be realistic about incoming draft picks.

Yes the cowboys are a good drafting team overall. But a lot of these players need time to become key contributors in the NFL.

If the cowboys have like 3 guys who contribute heavily as rookies. That’s a great start for a rookie class. But some of these guys are 1. Going to need time 2. Never going to make it in the NFL period.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Jalen Brooks shows some potential for a 7th round pick...

Kind of reminds me of the now departed Noah Brown.

Jalen Brooks:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
  • Brooks catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.
  • Balanced, savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully.
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and Brooks has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Does not explode off the line of scrimmage and runs with long strides.
  • Brooks has constantly ran a limited route tree.
  • He’s largely a non-factor downfield, and Brooks had issues with drops when running behind a defensive back and tracking the ball. More quick than fast, he won’t always be able to run away from NFL defensive backs.
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jalen-Brooks-WR-SouthCarolina

• Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
  • Brooks catches the ball with his large, soft hands and is tough. Deceptive jets and a smooth route runner.
  • Balanced, savvy route runner with top field awareness, setting up and selling routes beautifully.
  • His long arms allow him to play bigger than his size, and Brooks has a frame that can carry a little more weight.
  • Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
  • Good effort and technique as a blocker for his size. Can beat the press with elusiveness or physical contact. Runs crisp routes with sharp cuts.

• He’s largely a non-factor downfield, and Brooks had issues with drops when running behind a defensive back and tracking the ball. More quick than fast, he won’t always be able to run away from NFL defensive backs.

Anyone else catch this and see anything wrong with it?? :huh:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Anyone else catch this and see anything wrong with it?? :huh:
It screams, we looked at his mediocre 40 time.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Very good highlights reel of Jalen Brooks, nothing to not like about him in this video.
I actually am impressed at the play of his QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Indeed.

I would like to see the NFL up the roster to 60.

It would make for a more interesting game. But, I suspect keeping track of 45 players on game day is no easy task as is.
Increasing the roster size should have happened before now. Injuries happen and adding games to make the season longer without a larger roster is dumb.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember you making an almost identical thread last year around the same time regarding Jalen Tolbert when people were rightly expressing concern about the WR group.
Knowing how Tolbert was being handled last year was the biggest reason for him not contributing.

I thought he was a great draft pick also. This year we should see a completely different player.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looks like they have plenty of competition for the 4/5/6 wr spots, but it seems like we have been chasing the Miles Austin dragon for a long time. Its been a while since a late round pick or UDFA really did something. Beasley was a nice find.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Knowing how Tolbert was being handled last year was the biggest reason for him not contributing.

I thought he was a great draft pick also. This year we should see a completely different player.
I still think Tolbert has a lot of potential and could turn out to be a player.

The point I’m trying to make is. People can’t expect to very draft pick to just come in and be major contributors their first season. Especially the mid and late round picks. Most of them won’t even make it in the NFL. Let alone be major contributors their rookie seasons.

kskboys

Reaction score
Very good highlights reel of Jalen Brooks, nothing to not like about him in this video.
I actually am impressed at the play of his QB.

Looked as if he doesn't create separation well. Lots of tightly covered throws and wide open throws where coverage was blown. Hard to really tell anything from this video, tho. It does look like he has great hands and a knack for going and getting the ball.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Looked as if he doesn't create separation well. Lots of tightly covered throws and wide open throws where coverage was blown. Hard to really tell anything from this video, tho. It does look like he has great hands and a knack for going and getting the ball.
Yeah the hands and his knack for going and getting it is what I saw.
Your other points are very valid. Can only hope with a guy that was picked so late.