I often wonder what the Cowboys do at practice?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When you practice against that run defense, you convince yourself that your run offense is fixed.

It’s not a coincidence a lot of teams’ strengths mirror offense and defense, as well and their weaknesses
THIS IS EXACTLY what i'm talking about!!!!! We go out thinking that we're fine, and we face reality and it's not that way!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, it does look like they skip practices!! I wonder if they truly look at game film because, you're right, they seem to make the same mistakes. I mean, I thought that was what reviewing game film was all about....pointing out what went wrong and how to correct it. But, it just doesn't seem that is happening. And if it is, then we have some dumb football IQ players!!
I mean they always promise to watch the film and get better??? lol i'm confused my dear!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just thinking of that line, you play the way you practice, it shows pretty well Haze!! Penalties have been an issue for how long, do they even care???
That was Jimmy's philosophy as well. However with the new CBA, teams can't practice that way now days.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is it just install for the offense and defense/practice drills, or do they actually go over the mistakes they make during the games. I know film study is vital, but I often wonder if it's being taken seriously by everyone. It doesn't seem like they practice hard enough on fixing mental mistakes (penalties), blocking, and tackling too well. We go into games and see the same mistakes over and over. There's rules to how much and what you can do in practice, but I look back at camp, and most of the time it was just a "thud" and that was it. We need to ramp it up a bit more with these guys, in a safe manner if that can be done.

I often wonder if our offense or if our defense challenges each other in practice enough when they go first team offense against first team defense. What we see in games, it looks like we're lost and have never practiced, please give your thoughts on this topic, I know you have them!!!
I heard at breaks the staff brings them tea and crumpets. Just to show appreciation for all their hard work

garyo1954

Reaction score
They watch YouTube, laugh, check their lottery numbers, look at the stats, read some positive press clippings, then hit the field to work on their after TD celebrations.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Not tackling is obvious. Man I'm watching so many defenses playing tough and physical and I remember Dallas :facepalm: Entitled!!!! That's the problem..

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Me thinks they sit around a circle and talk about how great they played. They hype each other up, instead of having leaders that are pushing one another.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
three-stooges.gif

erod

Reaction score
To get that 17th game (and soon to be 18th), the owners agreed to basically eliminate training camp and practice.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
What do you expect to change here even if McCarthy is fired?

When an owner/gm unilaterally trades away a 4th for a player and then insists that the HC turn that player into an NFL quarterback, it's a toxic situation

New coach? The branding culture and dysfunction will still remain

In short......I don't think it really matters who coaches here.....it's just a matter of changing the drapes
Teams regularly have developmental types stashed away on the roster somewhere. That's a GM call for nearly every pro sports team in the world. At the end of the day, it's Jerral's job to look out for current and future interests of his team, and he's doing as much by keeping a QB prospect with off the charts athleticism on the roster. Whether it's a good idea is another matter.

McCarthy has been a pro for a really long time. If his ego was so fragile that he couldn't handle his boss bringing in a guy, he wouldn't have made it in the NFL as long as he has. He has a job to do. If he doesn't want to do his jobs based on the parameters laid out by his boss, he's free to resign.

shabazz

Reaction score
McCarthy has been a pro for a really long time. If his ego was so fragile that he couldn't handle his boss bringing in a guy, he wouldn't have made it in the NFL as long as he has. He has a job to do. If he doesn't want to do his jobs based on the parameters laid out by his boss, he's free to reresign.
It has nothing to do with McCarthy being fragile....it's Jerry having delusions of grandeur by not even consulting with the vise president of personnel and the head coach. It's an unprofessional move at best and a narcissistic one at worst.

Without Jimmy Johnson and a Herschel Walker deal, Jerry can't field a championship team