I predict Gurode won't start

AbeBeta

Reaction score
My first post after lurking forever.

I don't think Gurode is going to give Al Johnson any real competition for the center position. Every year, we go to camp and Gurode looks great. He physically is among our best linemen. But what happens to the guy? Last two years he got benched. He does well in every situation -- except when it counts -- against real defenses that have a legit game plan in place.

Why? My theory is that Gurode isn't very bright (at least football-wise, dude may be a genius in other areas). The knock on him coming out of college was that he "needs time to digest a playbook." Parcells said the other day that Andre does best "with a man in front of him." What does this tell us? He does better when he knows exactly who he needs to block. That might be true of most linemen but Gurode can't seem to make adjustments during the game.

Gurode may have a physical advantage over Johnson. But once we get in game situations, Johnson is going to pull away since he'll call a far better game than Gurode can. Centers need some smarts and I'm not seeing much football intelligence from Gurode.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
abersonc said:

I don't think Gurode is going to give Al Johnson any real competition for the center position. Every year, we go to camp and Gurode looks great. He physically is among our best linemen. But what happens to the guy? Last two years he got benched. He does well in every situation -- except when it counts -- against real defenses that have a legit game plan in place.

Why? My theory is that Gurode isn't very bright (at least football-wise, dude may be a genius in other areas). The knock on him coming out of college was that he "needs time to digest a playbook." Parcells said the other day that Andre does best "with a man in front of him." What does this tell us? He does better when he knows exactly who he needs to block. That might be true of most linemen but Gurode can't seem to make adjustments during the game.

Gurode may have a physical advantage over Johnson. But once we get in game situations, Johnson is going to pull away since he'll call a far better game than Gurode can. Centers need some smarts and I'm not seeing much football intelligence from Gurode.

I agree,my thoughts exactly.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Great post. Al will be the starter.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
abersonc said:

I think you are right...the kid has talent, but talent does not always translate into success. Bil Al is a smart guy...I think he's safe...BP like to do stuff like this to motivate....keep Al on his toes.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I think you are right...the kid has talent, but talent does not always translate into success. Bil Al is a smart guy...I think he's safe...BP like to do stuff like this to motivate....keep Al on his toes.
I'm guessing that Bill is a little annoyed at Johnson's size. Al came out of college at 305. He dropped a lot of weight when rehabbing his knee and currently is listed at 296. He's 6'5" -- sounds like he should be able to get bigger at this point.

Merlin

Reaction score
abersonc said:

We shall see and I disagree. Johnson is in a serious battle. Gurode is not dumb as some would suggest. Maybe the center spot was his best position afterall. He is your best option against the 3-4 teams, thats for sure.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
We will see. I have no agenda. I want the best guy on the field. Whether that is Al or Andre. But do know this, Al is in a battle, and Gurode is having a really good camp.

If anything, I couldn't be more happy about the depth we have at Center.

dallasgirl12

Reaction score
Merlin said:
We shall see and I disagree. Johnson is in a serious battle. Gurode is not dumb as some would suggest. Maybe the center spot was his best position afterall. He is your best option against the 3-4 teams, thats for sure.

I agree with you... Originally started with the Cowboys at the Center position. Was then moved over to right Guard. He never seemed to grasp it well. But he did show some real promise at the Center position, as just a rookie. All along, the Cowboys (NFL scouts) felt he could make a good center in the NFL, as he has the size and quickness to help in the middle. Here is what was previously documented about Gurode:

2002: As the first Cowboys rookie to ever start the season at center, Gurode also became the first rookie starter at the center position since Mark Stepnoski started four games in 1989. In his NFL debut at Houston (9/8), Gurode was part of an offensive line that led the way to 155 rushing yards for Dallas. In the following week's win over Tennessee (9/15), he helped the Dallas line limit the Titans to just one sack in 25 pass plays. Despite numerous changes and injuries on the offensive line at St. Louis (9/29), Gurode was a constant force for a unit that allowed just two sacks in 38 pass plays and helped Dallas rush for 122 yards on 27 carries (4.5 avg.). He missed the following week's loss to the Giants (10/6) and the victory over Carolina (10/13) after suffering a sprained great toe on his left foot in practice on Oct. 2. Gurode returned to the lineup at Arizona (10/20) and helped Dallas rush for 148 yards and a 4.1 yards-per-carry average. He then became part of history against Seattle (10/27) as the starting center on the Dallas line that helped Emmitt Smith eclipse Walter Payton as the NFL's all-time leading rusher. Smith earned his first 100-yard rushing day against the Seahawks with 109 yards and a 4.5 average. Gurode made the move to the starting right guard spot in the last-second loss at Detroit (11/3) - helping provide protection for Chad Hutchinson who threw for over 200 yards against the Lions. In the win over Jacksonville (11/24), the Dallas line provided time for Hutchinson to throw for 301 yards and opened holes for the running game to rush for 118 yards. The 405 net yards was a season-high. Gurode personally helped limit Jaguars defensive tackles John Henderson and Marcus Stroud to two tackles and no sacks on the day. In the Thanksgiving Day win over Washington (11/28), Gurode suffered a strained groin on the extra point following the first Dallas touchdown and missed the rest of the game. Despite suffering a bruised jaw in the second quarter against San Francisco (12/8), Gurode returned to action and helped hold the 49ers without a sack in 28 pass plays. That outing marked the first game of the 2002 season that the line did not allow a sack. He also helped Dallas rush for 110 yards against the 49ers.

He was also successful in college at the Center position at one point, before injuring his knee. (Though mostly known for his right guard position ability.)

The long and short of it, is he looked really good as ROOKie at this position before dealing with various injuries, and then needing to help out at guard after that. Let's just wait and see where this goes.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I just want the best man to win, but I believe I have seen a statement somewhere where The Tuna thinks Guroude is pretty smart......

I am happy that we have depth!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Someone stop this man before he hurts someone.

He is a thrill seeker.