I question the maturity, focus and mental toughness of this operation

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't think the past "history of failures in December" means anything. These aren't the old pre-free agency years where you have pretty much the exact same team every year. Just look at all the new parts we have: RG, FS, head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive scheme, etc. As has been said many times, the offense didn't collapse last year; it was the D that did. And we're coming off a 4-sack, 10-point game in, yes, December.

Most importantly, last year was the first year Romo was our starter, and even then he was very new at this. What happened under Bledsoe, Vinny, or Quincy has about as much bearing on this team as the price of Malaysian palm oil.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1848328 said:
I don't think the past "history of failures in December" means anything.

I agree.

And I also think the month of December is a ridiculous demarcation. The real issue here is a team's late season performance, or the last five games of the year. It was during this stretch that Parcells' team tended to struggle.

However, this Cowboy team is currently 2-1 over that stretch (just like Green Bay, Seattle, and Tampa Bay), having earned its most important victory of the year against Green Bay.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1848328 said:
I don't think the past "history of failures in December" means anything. These aren't the old pre-free agency years where you have pretty much the exact same team every year. Just look at all the new parts we have: RG, FS, head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive scheme, etc. As has been said many times, the offense didn't collapse last year; it was the D that did. And we're coming off a 4-sack, 10-point game in, yes, December.

Most importantly, last year was the first year Romo was our starter, and even then he was very new at this. What happened under Bledsoe, Vinny, or Quincy has about as much bearing on this team as the price of Malaysian palm oil.

What about what happened under Aikman? This december crap has long roots. It's not like Romo was our December problem last season anyway. Many of the guys who contributed big time to December fades are still on the team.

Now you know I'm not about panic-ing, and I'd love to see some of scipio's questions from earlier in the thread answered (they won't be), but I don't think you can brush away the December curse with "previous regimes" or "previous QBs."

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1848325 said:
Actually, we need only to revisit last season. The Colts went 2-3 in December, including a 44-17 trouncing at Jacksonville.

And what the Colts did is relevant to these Cowboys how?

This is rich. You agreed with Lab that the past "history of failures in December" doesn't mean anything, but you go back to referencing what a Cowboys team did 12 years ago in December and then what the Colts did last year.

So, this current team's recent history is irrelevant, yet the Cowboys history of a dozen years ago and the Colts recent history somehow is relevant to this years Cowboys. I see.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bach;1848583 said:
And what the Colts did is relevant to these Cowboys how?

This is rich. You agreed with Lab that the past "history of failures in December" doesn't mean anything, but you go back to referencing what a Cowboys team did 12 years ago in December and then what the Colts did last year.

So, this current team's recent history is irrelevant, yet the Cowboys history of a dozen years ago and the Colts recent history somehow is relevant to this years Cowboys. I see.

You've completely missed my point.

I only broached the history topic to illustrate that all NFL teams, including great ones, occasionally lose games, and that great teams can even lose games in the heralded month of December.

Furthermore, I never deemed history "irrelevant." I've contended all along that mediocre teams are often exposed as such during late season stretches and/or the playoffs. But this tendency has nothing to do with the month of December.

The Cowboys haven't waned in December because that particular month holds some mythical, Cowboy-zapping power. The Cowboys have waned in December because of suspect talent and coaching.

Bottom line: When a team isn't very good, it's not likely to win in the playoffs or against playoff teams...regardless of the month in which those games are played.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1848619 said:
You've completely missed my point.

I only broached the history topic to illustrate that all NFL teams, including great ones, occasionally lose games, and that great teams can even lose games in the heralded month of December.

Furthermore, I never deemed history "irrelevant." I've contended all along that mediocre teams are often exposed as such during late season stretches and/or the playoffs. But this tendency has nothing to do with the month of December.

The Cowboys haven't waned in December because that particular month holds some mythical, Cowboy-zapping power. The Cowboys have waned in December because of suspect talent and coaching.

Bottom line: When a team isn't very good, it's not likely to win in the playoffs or against playoff teams...regardless of the month in which those games are played.

Actually, that's not totally true. The playoff push and the postseason, the good teams step their game up a level or two. Year after year you hear players, coaches and announcers mention how the intensity level and speed of the game goes up late in the season and in the playoffs by the good teams.

Last year we beat the Colts before Thanksgiving. Then down the stretch we got bombed by the Saints, lost to Philly and then Detroit. The Cowboys didn't up their level of play once the pressure and intensity went up. I have a strong feeling if we had played the Colts in mid to late December the results would likely been a little different. There is something to when you play a team.

That's the point about December games and playoff games. It's not anything magical about the month itself, but rather about it being the late season push when the better teams and experienced teams increase their level of play.

In recent years we haven't done that late in the year. This is why in '05 we looked to be a shoe in for the playoffs going into Thanksgiving, but then ended up missing it altogether. It's one reason we could beat Indy last year in Nov., have the inside track for the division and a good chance to get a bye, only to fold down the stretch and only get in the playoffs as a road wildcard team.

Down the stretch and the playoffs is when the good teams separate themselves from the pretenders. That's what the "magical" part of it is about. That's what concerns many of us when once again we see us look flat and appear to be playing our worst ball of the year now.

Like I said before, there may not be anything to it, but I wouldn't be so quick just to brush it off. We will find out a lot about what this team is made of and whether they've turned the corner and learned to up their play down the stretch in the next 8 days.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bach;1848768 said:
Actually, that's not totally true.

What's not totally true? That good teams normally beat bad teams? This was my only point, and I assumed it was self-evident.

Upsets occur on a weekly basis, but as a general rule, bad teams lose and good teams win, regardless of month.

The playoff push and the postseason, the good teams step their game up a level or two. Year after year you hear players, coaches and announcers mention how the intensity level and speed of the game goes up late in the season and in the playoffs by the good teams.

Last year we beat the Colts before Thanksgiving. Then down the stretch we got bombed by the Saints, lost to Philly and then Detroit. The Cowboys didn't up their level of play once the pressure and intensity went up. I have a strong feeling if we had played the Colts in mid to late December the results would likely been a little different. There is something to when you play a team.

That's the point about December games and playoff games. It's not anything magical about the month itself, but rather about it being the late season push when the better teams and experienced teams increase their level of play.

In recent years we haven't done that late in the year. This is why in '05 we looked to be a shoe in for the playoffs going into Thanksgiving, but then ended up missing it altogether. It's one reason we could beat Indy last year in Nov., have the inside track for the division and a good chance to get a bye, only to fold down the stretch and only get in the playoffs as a road wildcard team.

Down the stretch and the playoffs is when the good teams separate themselves from the pretenders. That's what the "magical" part of it is about. That's what concerns many of us when once again we see us look flat and appear to be playing our worst ball of the year now.

Like I said before, there may not be anything to it, but I wouldn't be so quick just to brush it off. We will find out a lot about what this team is made of and whether they've turned the corner and learned to up their play down the stretch in the next 8 days.

Herein lies the problem with certain arguments on this thread. People are too caught up in this December nonsense. It's absurd and misleading yet they parrot it as if it's the ultimate truth of NFL football.

The real issue here is not December.

Rather, the important issue is the last five games of the year. Parcells has said as much. He always maintained that he could judge the quality of team only by evaluating its performance after Thanksgiving, meaning the final five weeks of the season. Unfortunately for Parcells (and us), his Dallas teams never finished better than 2-3 over that span.

Consider this: The Cowboys are now 2-1 since Thanksgiving and, during that stretch, beat Green Bay in one of their most important and impressive wins of the season. Yet, when discussing the prospect of another Cowboy December swoon, people never consider the Green Bay win because it occured in November and, for some absurd reason, doesn't count.

That's the very reason this December demarcation is ridiculous and misleading. If the Green Bay game had occured on Sunday rather than Thursday, it would've been a December game.

Undoubtedly, the Cowboys played one of their worst offensive games of the year against the Eagles last Sunday. But let's not forget that the Cowboys played one of their best games this season just two and a half weeks ago, and that game occured during the same post-Thanksgiving stretch during which Parcells always struggled.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;1848798 said:
What's not totally true? That good teams normally beat bad teams? This was my only point, and I assumed it was self-evident.

You stated, "

That's what's totally not true, since I've seen us, just last year beat the soon to be Super Bowl champs in Nov, yet down the stretch get pummelled by the Saints, Eagles and then lose to the Lions. What totally not true is that a team may be able to beat good teams during the course of the season, yet if for some reason, late in the year or postseason they can't do it. Sometimes when you play a team is important. The issue isn't about bad teams losing to good teams most of the time, it's about how Dallas has tended to wilt down the stretch.

Herein lies the problem with certain arguments on this thread. People are too caught up in this December nonsense. It's absurd and misleading yet they parrot it as if it's the ultimate truth of NFL football.

The real issue here is not December.

Rather, the important issue is the last five games of the year. Parcells has said as much. He always maintained that he could judge the quality of team only by evaluating its performance after Thanksgiving, meaning the final five weeks of the season. Unfortunately for Parcells (and us), his Dallas teams never finished better than 2-3 over that span.

Well, to quote you, what's so "magical" about the final five games? You do realize that not all years are there five games after Thanksgiving. Some years there are only four. I don't care if it's four or five or post-Thanksgiving or just December. All I know is we seem to have problems down the stretch of the season the last few years and the last few games have been more of the same.

Consider this: The Cowboys are now 2-1 since Thanksgiving and, during that stretch, beat Green Bay in one of their most important and impressive wins of the season. Yet, when discussing the prospect of another Cowboy December swoon, people never consider the Green Bay win because it occured in November and, for some absurd reason, doesn't count.

Consider this. We've struggled since late in the second quarter of that Packers game. That's why I've maintained we haven't played well for the past 2.5+ games.

All anyone is really talking about is the end of the season swoon. Since the end of the season is mostly December, it's just easier to say that than say post-Thanksgiving, or the last game in November, all of December and on certain years the first weekend in January.

And just last year we beat Indy the week before Thanksgiving and dominated our Thanksgiving game. But for some reason that didn't stop us from collapsing down the stretch.

Again, I don't know if it'll happen again, but the last few weeks have been reason for most fans to have some concern. I don't know why that's so hard to digest.

wrnboysfan

Reaction score
windward;1846762 said:
Here is how I honestly think some people think after a Cowboys game

win: We're ok but (litany of reasons why we are not perfect in evry possible way)

loss:It's freaking Armageddon and we're likely to take a hellacious beating next week, if we lose to x we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, etc...

this is spot on. if we had won last week, all these problems people are bringing up are 10 times smaller.

mmohican29

Reaction score
K. Bottom line: We're not playing well, regardless of record. I'd like to see us play better before going into the playoffs.

We are down to two weeks to improve to the point where the Cowboys can go toe to toe with anyone in the NFL.

We're capable, but right now we're off our game a hair, and we need all the mojo we can muster for the January run to Glendale.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the '04 Pats/Fins Replay on NFLN just now? The way the Pats looked in the last 4 minutes, we looked EXACTLY like that against Philly last week-mental errors and complacency galore! Did the Pats' season implode?

We'll be fine-tomorrow's Panthers game won't be a cakewalk, but as long as we come out with a win, we'll be fine.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Bach;1848814 said:
You stated, "

That's what's totally not true

Allow me to clarify your position here. You're contending that the superior team is not more likely to win games.

Interesting.

So answer me this: Is there a month in which inferior teams are more likely to win than superior teams?

since I've seen us, just last year beat the soon to be Super Bowl champs in Nov, yet down the stretch get pummelled by the Saints, Eagles and then lose to the Lions. What totally not true is that a team may be able to beat good teams during the course of the season, yet if for some reason, late in the year or postseason they can't do it. Sometimes when you play a team is important. The issue isn't about bad teams losing to good teams most of the time, it's about how Dallas has tended to wilt down the stretch.

You're making my point.

Dallas was beaten by the Giants and Eagles in October, and the Saints and Eagles in December. The Cowboys managed to upset the Colts in early November, and win the rematch against the Giants in December.

All in all, the 2006 Dallas Cowboys went 2-4 in games against playoff bound opponents. One of those wins was in December while the other was in November. Two of those losses were in October while the others were in December.

This data corroborates my original supposition. Dallas generally lost to superior opponents regardless of the month in which the game was played.

Only once in 4 tries did Dallas beat a superior opponent--against Indianapolis. They lost all three remaining tries--against New Orleans and Philly twice.

Well, to quote you, what's so "magical" about the final five games?

There's nothing magical about them. They're actual games, not some abstract demarcation of time.

Throughout this entire thread, I've maintained that mediocre teams tend to be exposed over the final five games of the season and/or during the playoffs.

You do realize that not all years are there five games after Thanksgiving. Some years there are only four. I don't care if it's four or five or post-Thanksgiving or just December. All I know is we seem to have problems down the stretch of the season the last few years and the last few games have been more of the same.

Undoubtedly, Dallas has faltered in recent years over the past five games. No one is arguing that. However, before we conclude that these current Cowboys are struggling, let's examine the entire body of work post-Thanksgiving:

The Cowboys are 2-1 including a win against Green Bay--Dallas' most important and impressive win of the season. Over this post-Thanksgiving stretch, the Cowboys played their worst game against Philly but arguably their best game (given the quality of opponent) against Green Bay.

Consider this. We've struggled since late in the second quarter of that Packers game. That's why I've maintained we haven't played well for the past 2.5+ games.

Unquestionably, different units have faltered over the past two games. But, once again, don't become so engrossed in minutiae you overlook the entire body of work. 2-1 with a win against Green Bay.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
LowTech;1848948 said:
This thread just won't go away
because people are missing the point of the thread....I was never upset about losing as much as I was upset about how we played and how we have played since the 1st half of the Green Bay game...and based on that, I was perturbed that a respected NFL player like Brian Westbrook said we did not respect them...I was perturbed that with the stakes being very high all we heard out at the Ranch was crap about Romo and Jessica...the Roy ruling....holding press conferences to clarify you were joking....all the injureis...etc...How many clips or quotes do you hear out of the lockeroom talking about Carolina? I mean seriously.

And I am not trying to be a drill seargant....but this is the time of year for VERY FEW SMILES...the intensity has got to go up...our record late in the year has been good 4 out of the last 5 seasons...and they have all ended the same....so I would expect a more focused, surly group out there. The shucking and jiving and cutting up and "I was just joking" will give you all the time in the world to do that while you are sitting at home watching an inferior team play in the Super Bowl. That is my only point...where oh where is there a lockeroom neanderthal like Charles Haley when you need him? Where oh where is there the ultimate winner like Emmit Smith when you need him. Emmit would not let anything get in the way of winning. Where oh where is there a no frills strictly business like Aikman when you need him.

We all want the same thing zoners...but there are those amongst us that do not like what we see....we can agree to disagree...and hopefully the questions about focus and maturity will be answered in the next 24 hours

Trendnet

Reaction score
bbailey423;1848971 said:
so I would expect a more focused, surly group out there. The shucking and jiving and cutting up and "I was just joking" will give you all the time in the world to do that while you are sitting at home watching an inferior team play in the Super Bowl. That is my only point...where oh where is there a lockeroom neanderthal like Charles Haley when you need him? Where oh where is there the ultimate winner like Emmit Smith when you need him. Emmit would not let anything get in the way of winning. Where oh where is there a no frills strictly business like Aikman when you need him.

You mean the same group, in 1992 that struggled to beat an 8-8 Denver team that rotated two QB's not named John Elway in week 14?

Or the same group that lost to the Washington Commanders in week 15?

How about waiting until the Cowboys lose a playoff game before you go burning your jersey?

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;1848971 said:
because people are missing the point of the thread....I was never upset about losing as much as I was upset about how we played and how we have played since the 1st half of the Green Bay game...and based on that, I was perturbed that a respected NFL player like Brian Westbrook said we did not respect them...I was perturbed that with the stakes being very high all we heard out at the Ranch was crap about Romo and Jessica...the Roy ruling....holding press conferences to clarify you were joking....all the injureis...etc...How many clips or quotes do you hear out of the lockeroom talking about Carolina? I mean seriously.

And I am not trying to be a drill seargant....but this is the time of year for VERY FEW SMILES...the intensity has got to go up...our record late in the year has been good 4 out of the last 5 seasons...and they have all ended the same....so I would expect a more focused, surly group out there. The shucking and jiving and cutting up and "I was just joking" will give you all the time in the world to do that while you are sitting at home watching an inferior team play in the Super Bowl. That is my only point...where oh where is there a lockeroom neanderthal like Charles Haley when you need him? Where oh where is there the ultimate winner like Emmit Smith when you need him. Emmit would not let anything get in the way of winning. Where oh where is there a no frills strictly business like Aikman when you need him.

We all want the same thing zoners...but there are those amongst us that do not like what we see....we can agree to disagree...and hopefully the questions about focus and maturity will be answered in the next 24 hours

Wow-you obviously missed the '95 season. We started off Dec by losing to the lowly Deadskins @home, then we followed it up with an ugly loss at The Vet the week after(thanks to that bone-headed 4th down decision), and then we barely beat the lowly Midgets @home the week after, before closing out the season winning @AZ.

Again-where you were you in '95? And BTW-have you bothered to watch a Pats game the last 4 weeks?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wait, SP... How could anything that happened under Aikman be relevant today? :confused:

And sure you can say that a regime change makes a difference. Why wouldn't it?

Not sure about scipio's questions, either...:confused: The ones I see are pointing out that the Pack lost two weeks ago and the judggernaut Seahawks just lost to Ballin' Matt Moore.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Boysboy;1849114 said:
Wow-you obviously missed the '95 season. We started off Dec by losing to the lowly Deadskins @home, then we followed it up with an ugly loss at The Vet the week after(thanks to that bone-headed 4th down decision), and then we barely beat the lowly Midgets @home the week after, before closing out the season winning @AZ.

Again-where you were you in '95? And BTW-have you bothered to watch a Pats game the last 4 weeks?
forget it...seriously...forget it....I mean I guess my eyes are lying to me...I guess the Cowboys won 2 out of the last 3...or the Cowboys are 12-2...so therefore we are fine...I guess Troy Aikman was not a strictly business type QB...which is why he hated to see Jimmy go and hated every second playing for Barry...because he KNEW that the level of focus and commitment was different.....so you guys keep pretending like the boyz look playoff ready...and I will keep hoping that starting tonight we start looking like we are playoff ready...because my eyes tell me otherwise

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;1849230 said:
forget it...seriously...forget it....I mean I guess my eyes are lying to me...I guess the Cowboys won 2 out of the last 3...or the Cowboys are 12-2...so therefore we are fine...I guess Troy Aikman was not a strictly business type QB...which is why he hated to see Jimmy go and hated every second playing for Barry...because he KNEW that the level of focus and commitment was different.....so you guys keep pretending like the boyz look playoff ready...and I will keep hoping that starting tonight we start looking like we are playoff ready...because my eyes tell me otherwise

I guess you forgot about that ugly '92 Dec home loss to the lowly Rams, and then to the struggling Skins at RFK around that time. Jimmy was our coach then, wasn't he?

Are you a bandwagon fan, by any chance? Yes-I too am concerned, but you sound like you're ready to root for another team like the Pats.