I rewatched the game - obervations

DBoys

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
When did Colombo get called for holding/false start or give up a sack or are you just talking?

You obviously didn't watch him close enough

DBoys

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Thank you......Flo and Rivera were our worst OL yesterday but it was Flo by a long shot.

Even I have to give props to Gurode for a good game.

Colombo played the best of the bunch.

Colombo played good yeah right.

I will let Grizz speak for me because he did a good job on the recap.

"Marc Colombo - RT: After showing promise in the preseason, Colombo laid an egg in the first real game. After watching the game tape, I have him down for 10 plays that led to negative plays for the offense, or plays that were saved by someone else making a good play. Early in the game, his man beat him on the rush, but twice Bledsoe saved him by making quick throws for completions. On a crucial 3rd and 7 in the redzone, he got beat and Bledsoe had to throw quickly and was off-balance, leading to an incompletion. He got pushed backwards on a run block that resulted in no gain. Colombo missed a blitz pick-up that forced Bledsoe to scramble and underthrow a receiver, then got beat on a stunt that resulted in Drew throwing the ball away.
On Bledsoe's first interception, Colombo got pushed back into Drew's face so Drew couldn't follow through on his delivery. The ball sailed to the right, Witten had to move to the right after slowing down in the open spot, but the ball went right into Rashean Mathis' hands. Bledsoe probably shouldn't have thrown into the tight coverage, but it didn't help that he couldn't follow through. In the second half he had two more bad blocks that helped to kill JJ runs. And he finished off the evening by completely whiffing on a block that forced Bledsoe to throw the ball away. Depending on whether Parcells is willing to overlook this as first game stage-fright, Jason Fabini could be pressed into service against Washington."

DBoys

Reaction score
I do agree Gurode played very well and I thought Kosier did good too. They were our best OL of the game.

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
adbutcher said:

I think people should have seen that coming... Flo is coming off a major season ending injury (the first of his career) and another injury in preseason that kept him out of action for some time. It is going to take him some time to get his conditioning and confidence back and knock off the rust; until then he will struggle.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Colombo played good yeah right.

I will let Grizz speak for me because he did a good job on the recap.

"Marc Colombo - RT: After showing promise in the preseason, Colombo laid an egg in the first real game. After watching the game tape, I have him down for 10 plays that led to negative plays for the offense, or plays that were saved by someone else making a good play. Early in the game, his man beat him on the rush, but twice Bledsoe saved him by making quick throws for completions. On a crucial 3rd and 7 in the redzone, he got beat and Bledsoe had to throw quickly and was off-balance, leading to an incompletion. He got pushed backwards on a run block that resulted in no gain. Colombo missed a blitz pick-up that forced Bledsoe to scramble and underthrow a receiver, then got beat on a stunt that resulted in Drew throwing the ball away.
On Bledsoe's first interception, Colombo got pushed back into Drew's face so Drew couldn't follow through on his delivery. The ball sailed to the right, Witten had to move to the right after slowing down in the open spot, but the ball went right into Rashean Mathis' hands. Bledsoe probably shouldn't have thrown into the tight coverage, but it didn't help that he couldn't follow through. In the second half he had two more bad blocks that helped to kill JJ runs. And he finished off the evening by completely whiffing on a block that forced Bledsoe to throw the ball away. Depending on whether Parcells is willing to overlook this as first game stage-fright, Jason Fabini could be pressed into service against Washington."

So did Grizz go through this process with all 45 players or did he just jump straight to Colombo looking for the negative?

I'd be curious to see his evaluation of the other 44 players.

Plays that got saved by someone else?

It's called teamwork.

Colombo did no right on our scoring drives or the drives that someone else killed?

No sacks and no penalties so you have to dig deep and make stuff up.

DBoys

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
So did Grizz go through this process with all 45 players or did he just jump straight to Colombo looking for the negative?

It's called teamwork.

Colombo did no right on our scoring drives or the drives that someone else killed?

You said Colombo had a good game and he didn't. Quit trying to save face on something you are obviously wrong about. Just admit you are wrong and move on.

You can read Grizz offensive report here:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/

landryscorner

Reaction score
i think the OL more than any players should condition themselves more, they are more prone to get sluggish in the offseason because of there weight, and I dont think our OL made strides in the offseason to keep up with there workouts atleast it looks that way

Rush 2112

Reaction score
DBoys said:
You said Colombo had a good game and he didn't. Quit trying to save face on something you are obviously wrong about. Just admit you are wrong and move on.

You can read Grizz offensive report here:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/

My Tivo is a good as his is guy.

I ain't trying to save face.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:

It's called teamwork.

The problem is that Grizz says Bledsoe saved Colombo with short completions. No offense, but that's part of the QB's job. You can't expect your O-Linemen to shut down the defender on every play and give the QB days to throw. And being "saved" may have just been the offense designing a short passing play to begin with.

Plus, he blames Colombo on Bledsoe's interceptions:

On Bledsoe's first interception, Colombo got pushed back into Drew's face so Drew couldn't follow through on his delivery. The ball sailed to the right, Witten had to move to the right after slowing down in the open spot, but the ball went right into Rashean Mathis' hands.

Then says that Colombo and Rivera aren't to blame for Bledsoe's interceptions.

Plus, I'm not sure what interception Grizz is talking about. IIRC, on the 1st INT Mathis checked off Glenn and then immediately went towards Witten to help out. The ball wasn't very off target (although a tad low) and it was obvious the INT had to do with Bledsoe not reading the coverage properly and either some good scouting by Jacksonville or just a great play by Mathis.

YAKUZA

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
The problem is that Grizz says Bledsoe saved Colombo with short completions. No offense, but that's part of the QB's job. You can't expect your O-Linemen to shut down the defender on every play and give the QB days to throw. And being "saved" may have just been the offense designing a short passing play to begin with.

Plus, I'm not sure what interception Grizz is talking about. IIRC, on the 1st INT Mathis checked off Glenn and then immediately went towards Witten to help out. The ball wasn't very off target (although a tad low) and it was obvious the INT had to do with Bledsoe not reading the coverage properly and either some good scouting by Jacksonville or just a great play by Mathis.

YAKUZA

Thank you.

Bledsoe said he should have lead Witten instead of "stopping".

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

YAKUZA

I agree with this assesment 100% I can't see how you can fault Colombo on that pick. The time in the pocket was really pretty good on that play. When he stepped up into the pocket (Incidentally, that's how you teach pass protection to an OT, you teach him to pinch tight and force your man to take the long route to the QB, get your hands on him, get your bench or proper bend in the knees and seperation in foot placement and ride him out of the play. Don't reach or lung as it will create balance issues. That's how you teach the technique) there was a good bubble for Bledsoe to step into. The time was there to set and throw. He looked wide to the right side line and then came off that receiver to go short. The ball was thrown terribly. The others were just poor reads. How do you let a slow underneith LB pick you twice? I mean, it was clear to me that Bledsoe was not physically right. Ask your self, how many times do you see an underneith LB catch Bledsoe's ball if it's not thrown right to them? Those LBs broke on the ball from underneith and snatched the ball on those picks. You don't see that much with Bledsoe. Typically, the velocity of his ball makes that very unlikely for a LB. Clearly, he didn't have good stuff Sunday.

Rgular_Skinman

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I thought the RT position played pretty well but I agree with the orginal poster. Adams could have been called for holding on almost every play. I thought he played like an old, injured player. Not good.

Expect us to use this to our advantage! :laugh1:

MossTDMossTD

Reaction score
I was thinking of the RG that was getting pushed around most of the game, better hope he sures up against Cornelius and/or Big Joe. As for our DEs being a problem for your Tackles, I have yet to see anything good out of them this year, or even since Daniels had 5 sacks against you guys in Wash.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rgular_Skinman said:
Expect us to use this to our advantage! :laugh1:

LOL........

I expect you to be exactly what you are, the Washington Commanders. I also expect us to be what we are. The Dallas Cowboys. I'll take that bet any day of the week and not lose sleep over it.

Lets get it done.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I saw Flo walking into the game from the bus. He was walking slow and with a slight limp.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Wolfpack said:
I saw Flo walking into the game from the bus. He was walking slow and with a slight limp.

Earl Campbell used to do that, just before he ran for 200 on you.

Needless to say, Flo Adams aint no Earl Campbell.