I say tag Dak and get our future QB in the draft

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always thought we should draft a QB every year or at least sign a free agent one.

Brady, Warner, Romo, Mark Brunnell, Brad Johnson, Joe Thiesman, Mark Rypien even Bart Starr was a high pick. There are Super Bowl winners in that group. You just never know because playing the position is so enigmatic and hard to quantify.

Give me a QB in the 6th round rather than a corner from Drexel every single time because if the corner hits that’s nice. If the QB hits it changes your franchise for years and as the Patriots have shown you can leverage great draft picks if they develop.

I’ve just never understood the downside compared to the upside.
I like this philosophy. Draft a QB often. The high stakes first rounder is no guarantee so trading huge draft capital to get a guy like Burrow or Tua is always a high risk.

Drafting a long shot in rounds 3-7 is a good idea even if only to have a quality backup who can become bigger trade value or to eventually become the starter is good policy IMO. For whatever reason, this team just doesn’t like to draft QBs.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I say tag Dak and look for his replacement in the draft. If any of the QB's drop then trade up. Two years from now (if they do their homework on the QB they draft), they will be in much better shape for years to come. Putting all your eggs in one basket (with DAK) can greatly harm the future of this team.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The last time Dallas tried that their target was Paxton Lynch. :muttley:

HungryLion

Reaction score
There's no fear of cap ramifications - the fear is a lot more basic i.e. that Dak is not good enough to take this team forward right now.

The reality is that it is more likely that a 1st rounder will become elite than a 27 year old 4 year starter with very obvious flaws. The lower salary for the rookie is an added bonus.

The other thing people seem to forget is that there is a draft every year. The 2020 draft will not be our last 1st round pick. If we swing and miss, there's another pick next year, and the year after etc.

Yes. People forget that there is a draft every year. :rolleyes:

I guess just like people forget that even if Dak is resigned. It probably only tied the team to Dak for 3 years max before they could cut him and move
On.

I guess they also forget that re signing Dak doesn’t prevent the team from drafting a QB either if they really wanted to. If not in the first then in the second or third.

I actually haven’t argued against drafting a QB in the first. I am arguing that it’s flat out wrong to say there is a 100% hit rate on QB’s and that it’s anywhere close to a Guarantee that the cowboys are better off for doing so. It may work it may not. It’s closer to 50/50.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We had it too good with the transition between Romo and Dak. We needed a few years of Brandon Weeden.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We had it too good with the transition between Romo and Dak. We needed a few years of Brandon Weeden.

You would think the one 4-12 season (1-11 without Romo) would have been enough to highlight the risks of having poor QB play.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Just because Mahomes is a freak athlete doesn't mean it would be easy to replace Dak in the draft with just any QB. You might also consider spending some draft capital on the defensive side of the ball.

But it also should demonstrate how far Dak is from being an elite player.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I have always thought we should draft a QB every year or at least sign a free agent one.

Brady, Warner, Romo, Mark Brunnell, Brad Johnson, Joe Thiesman, Mark Rypien even Bart Starr was a high pick. There are Super Bowl winners in that group. You just never know because playing the position is so enigmatic and hard to quantify.

Give me a QB in the 6th round rather than a corner from Drexel every single time because if the corner hits that’s nice. If the QB hits it changes your franchise for years and as the Patriots have shown you can leverage great draft picks if they develop.

I’ve just never understood the downside compared to the upside.
Romo was undrafted........ not sure what you mean by high pick

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hell no. The draft needs to be dedicated to fixing the defense. If we draft any offensives players they will be on the OL.