I still miss John Madden

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
The tribute they did for John Madden made me tear up. He was my favorite announcer ever. He made the game interesting and fun. RIP, John Madden. You are missed.
I hear you.

Listening to him really brings me back to holiday gatherings from 25 years ago....family huddled around TV, many of whom have "moved on" just like Madden has.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tribute they did for John Madden made me tear up. He was my favorite announcer ever. He made the game interesting and fun. RIP, John Madden. You are missed.
You felt like you were just being around the fellas in his games. He had knowledge, network and an easy humor demeanor.

Never felt like he had to force any commentary.

A true legend very much missed.

MS17

Reaction score
I miss Pat Summerall just as much.
Arguably, Summerall-Madden had the best chemistry in the broadcast booth of any football announcing duo ever. They really knew each other and helped make each other the best. I actually miss Summerall more than all the others.
(Pat threw John a lot of softballs, lines intended to draw big laughs). Older guys like me recall Gifford, Cosell and Don Meredith, but they had a different style

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
He and Summerall are still the gold standard.
Yeah, he was amazing as well, and he was at it for longer than Madden was. You can find Summerall's old NFL shows on Youtube. In the 60s and 70s they did a weekly show that summarized all the games. I forget the name of it. With no Internet or satellite TV, that show was the only way people could see parts of out-of-market games. It was a great show. Summerall did it with Tom Brookshire, I think.

MS17

Reaction score
Yeah, he was amazing as well, and he was at it for longer than Madden was. You can find Summerall's old NFL shows on Youtube. In the 60s and 70s they did a weekly show that summarized all the games. I forget the name of it. With no Internet or satellite TV, that show was the only way people could see parts of out-of-market games. It was a great show. Summerall did it with Tom Brookshire, I think.
I think the show was "This Week in Pro Football", Pat and Brookshier hosted it. The two were probably the most popular football announcers in the 70s, and most of their broadcasts were Cowboys games. Summerall once described their style as "two guys in a saloon having a conversation..."
Im an older fan, and the first memory I have of them, they were CBS field reporters at the Ice Bowl (1968). It may have been Brookshier who said during the game, "I need a bite of coffee to warm up."