I think Cowboy fans take things for granted

Bowdown27

Reaction score
We have a lot of hall of fame receivers walk through those doors. I do agree cooper and dez are totally different receivers but they’ve both had success. I’m saying that I can’t say who’d id take. I feel dez could have been a product of romo being so good because of how dez isn’t a good route runner etc. cooper is sound in most areas. I’d like to see another year with Dak and cooper before saying who’d I take in their prime

zerofill

Reaction score
How quickly people forget...I love AC and he's still young but the man's best season of his career was well below what Dez was able to produce from 2012-2014

Can't be dismissing production for potential

Yeah... But, you have to put in the QB throwing the ball at the time, and often changing the plays. Pretty sure AC and Dez would have similar stats under the same circumstances. Dez was great at the circus high point catches though.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not talking about Prescott either. We went from a very good receiver in Dez Bryant to an even better, yes I said better, in Amari Cooper. Just wanted to post a thread about how much I appreciate Jones and Company for getting Cooper and how nice it is to see a great route runner perform. I loved Dez but I like Amari even better. He just seems more polished, for lack of a better word.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this because the board seems to be so involved in Dak getting his money and the draft and all that it forgot about how lucky we are to have #19......Oh, I didn't compare 19 vs 88 statistically....don't need to. I'd take Cooper over prime Dez.........
It's like having a Corvette and parking it in the garage instead of cruising for chicks or drag racing on the strip. Talent is only as good as it's coach.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'm not talking about Prescott either. We went from a very good receiver in Dez Bryant to an even better, yes I said better, in Amari Cooper. Just wanted to post a thread about how much I appreciate Jones and Company for getting Cooper and how nice it is to see a great route runner perform. I loved Dez but I like Amari even better. He just seems more polished, for lack of a better word.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on this because the board seems to be so involved in Dak getting his money and the draft and all that it forgot about how lucky we are to have #19......Oh, I didn't compare 19 vs 88 statistically....don't need to. I'd take Cooper over prime Dez.........
I had to stop at "very good reciever in Dez Bryant"...........

robbieruff

Reaction score
The only thing I feel lucky to have as a fan at this point are Lombardi's in the trophy case...and wanting another one so terribly these past 20+ years...everything else is essentially irrelevant unless it produces championships. Yeah - I have become pretty bottom line in my old age...lol.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
How quickly people forget...I love AC and he's still young but the man's best season of his career was well below what Dez was able to produce from 2012-2014

Exactly. We have no idea what the future holds but right now Dez has done more for the Cowboys. Cooper might pass him but right now nobody knows.

ksadler1

Reaction score
No, he shouldn't. He also had big games with Raiders, 173 yard game and a 200 yard game. It's the games between those that is the problem with Cooper. He disappears.

Cooper needs to show he can be consistent on the football field before I elevate him to anything.

Dez disappeared quite a bit too and became easy for one man to cover. You won't catch a DC trying to cover Cooper with one man. I'm not meaning to take sides either way, and I do agree that we need to see Cooper have another "consistent" season. That's also going to be up to our new OC to create mismatches and make teams pay for doubling Cooper. Lord knows our old OC couldn't do it...

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I initially bought into the false narrative that Armani had "drop issues" and "wasn't passionate about football". After only half a season of watching him play, that was proven to be majorly untrue and it was simply unreal that that rare quality of a receiver, at his age, was even on the trading block to begin with.

Gruden truly is a stubborn/stupid Coach stuck in his outdated football ego. We should all thank our lucky stars that we didn't end up getting a deal done with Watkins last offseason.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Too bad we couldn't have kept Dez, added Cooper while still feeding Zeke.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper is everything that Dez wasn't. I love the guy. Nice guy, polite, incredible speed, polished professional route runner. He is exactly what you want at the position. I will say he isn't much of a jump ball type redzone guy. But you don't need to be when your 5 yards open every time.
I think the jump ball skill is sometimes given too much importance. It is a nice ability to have, but it means there is a DB on the receiver and the pass is contested. Consistency comes first with precise routes, being in sync with the QB and getting open. That’s the primary skill for a receiver. The jump ball ability is gravy on top, but having to rely on outfighting g DBs on contested throws all the time is not conducive to consistency

Flamma

Reaction score
No, he shouldn't. He also had big games with Raiders, 173 yard game and a 200 yard game. It's the games between those that is the problem with Cooper. He disappears.

Cooper needs to show he can be consistent on the football field before I elevate him to anything.

No WR is going to put up those numbers every game. You can find the same types of games from Julio Jones in that 2016 season they had. He'd have some monster games and in between we'd see, 2-29, 1-16, 3-29, 4-36. There are multiple factors that determine how successful a WR is in any given game. His talent is just one of them. That said, I haven't crowned him yet. But I don't think Dallas goes 10-6 without him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

But we don't know what Cooper would have produced with Tony throwing him the ball those years.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Your thread title is right. I do think Cowboys fans take things for granted. When players are gone or reach the downturn of their careers, we often have moved on to the next shiny thing and forget exactly how good the other player was at his peak.

I'm enjoying Cooper now just like I enjoyed Dez in his prime. No need to take one over the other because we don't have to make that choice.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Two different types of WR, hate the comparisons...

It’s like comparing apples and oranges..

Broccoli and turnips..

Spinach and Romaine..

:facepalm:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think the jump ball skill is sometimes given too much importance. It is a nice ability to have, but it means there is a DB on the receiver and the pass is contested. Consistency comes first with precise routes, being in sync with the QB and getting open. That’s the primary skill for a receiver. The jump ball ability is gravy on top, but having to rely on outfighting g DBs on contested throws all the time is not conducive to consistency

It's fantastic when you can execute it in the high 60s no matter how the defender plays it. But it doesn't take too much of a drop in efficiency for it to be a loser.

How many QB-WR pairs have ever performed it as effectively as Romo and Dez in 2013, 2014? Romo and Dez were at their best, and that was probably what Dez was the best at.

Can anyone think of a QB/WR duo who worked those goal line jump balls like Romo and Dez. I can think of some who might have been able to, but I can't really recall anyone doing it as much.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cooper looked like a different player when he came to Dallas. The thing that worries me is Ive watched Cooper play for the Raiders for several years. Fantasy football will do that. Cooper had a good first year and then declined and eventually it always seemed like Crabtree was Derek Carr's go to guy. Im not sure what was going on but the Cowboys better hope and pray he has continued success in Dallas. I would actually make him play out this season and if he looks good sign him before the end of the season

As far as comparing Cooper to Dez people only remember the Dez that was cut by Dallas but at this point in Coopers career he is not as good as Dez Bryant in his prime.

Proof

Reaction score
It's sad to me how some still try to defend the career of Desmond Demond Bryant. It speaks for itself.

I know you mean this negatively but it’s still true. His career does speak for itself and needs no defending. Storied franchise record holder