I think Penning is their trade up target

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If that is true the Cowboys will do everything they can to move up in this draft as no offensive linemen or receivers will make it to 24. McShay, Kiper, and Jeremiah don’t have Green in the first round of their final mocks. They also picked players for the Cowboys who we know they won’t draft.
Travis Jones says hi!!

quickccc

Reaction score
I also do not buy into the Fish trade up rumors as seriously either.

For a team like the Cowboys that is so clearly sold on depending upon the NFL draft alone to win the Superbowl, the team is gonna give up the more premium picks for one
sole player ? Naaah, not buying it.

at the least, i think the Cowboys are fishing to see if they have any takers from teams further up in the 1st, for exactly the price they feel is a steal
and worth a 4th round and 5th round pick ...

Cuz every year we hear and see trades to where its puzzling surprising that was all a team gave up to move up so many slots..
When was the last time we did that with trading up for a single prospect in first round ? - Maurice Mo' Claiborne ?
The supposed " best, highest graded CB to come out of NFL draft since Deion Sanders " ....

quickccc

Reaction score
Penning ? nah, i don;t see this team making drastic trade move up for an OT.
Again he'd have to be a blue chipper. a one of a kind, Tyron Smith, Oden, Tunsil, type to be amassing a trade up for that kind of player, and i'm not hearing that about Penning.

i thought i heard Bobby Belt mentioned the name of Charles Cross OT Mississippi St. than Penning.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't make a move up the board for an OT until Tyron is done. He's not done. If one falls into our lap, then happy day. They'll be better OTs than Steele in rounds 2 and 3.

quickccc

Reaction score
I thought if there were any 1 player that I could see rumors swirling about teams moving up for, .. it would be Jordan Davis.
By this time, teams over-scout and are always too infatuated with wow workouts and physical specimen numbers .

Even though the consensus profile suggests Davis is not a top interior pass rusher.
Is he more Vita Vea status ?
A ultra-dominant 1 tech with more outstanding freakish physical traits.

Rumors persist that rival Philly are targeting Davis..as well as one of the top WRs. (again)

quickccc

Reaction score
McShay predicted in his mock we'd trade 24, 56 and nesxt year's 2nd to move up for Penning.

Not a fan.

LOL .. i'd be hot headed as well we foolishly made that trade for any OT in this draft.

McShay- such a Kiper wanna-be. He wants to make a splash so badly he'll just throw darts in the dark to see what sticks.
i don't think i've even heard Kiper making that kind of far out fantasy draft package - for an OT.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought if there were any 1 player that I could see rumors swirling about teams moving up for, .. it would be Jordan Davis.
By this time, teams over-scout and are always too infatuated with wow workouts and physical specimen numbers .

Even though the consensus profile suggests Davis is not a top interior pass rusher.
Is he more Vita Vea status ?
A ultra-dominant 1 tech with more outstanding freakish physical traits.

Rumors persist that rival Philly are targeting Davis..as well as one of the top WRs. (again)

Who cares? 1 tech.....3 tech...... He's a DT and better than any we have fielded in a looong time. But don't get your hopes up. We haven't used a first round pick on a DT since 1991 when smarter people ran the team.

quickccc

Reaction score
If they do trade up. it's going to be for a Tackle-either Penning or Cross, not a wide receiver. What I have read/heard for the majority of the offseason is they want a positional flex lineman. Perhaps a Tackle who can start at Guard and eventually kick outside to replace Tyron Smith. I do believe they will be drafting a high receiver, just not in rd 1. Rumor has it that they were looking at many day 2 receiving prospects.

Yeh .. Great point.
I can see that. Selecting an OT at 24th overall, .with the immediate plan to start him out at LG, ..and then eventually post-Tyron moving him out to LT.

quickccc

Reaction score
Who cares? 1 tech.....3 tech...... He's a DT and better than any we have fielded in a looong time. But don't get your hopes up. We haven't used a first round pick on a DT since 1991 when smarter people ran the team.

Would we have selected Vita Vea, if he's slipped to us in first round ?

And supposedly we coveted DTs Aaron Donald and Ed Oliver such that they would have pulled a trigger on them if we had been placed
in a position to take them.

Supposedly if we could not secure and completed the trade for Mo' Claiborne, DT Michael Brockers (Rams) was supposedly the next man up
to select at that slot in the first round.

I won't ever say we would not draft a DT in first round, so maybe it just depends upon who/what DT in consideration for 1st rd. pick.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
During the Senior Bowl week heard the Cowboys were extremely high on Penning. He fits the type of player they want to target this offseason. He would bring an attitude and a physical presence this team sorely lacks.
Oline is the only position I would trade up for.
Its our biggest weakness.
So as long as the cost is reasonable I would be on board with a trade up.

RS12

Reaction score
Ravens are a lock for Davis if he gets to 14. They have plenty of middle round picks already. You would have to over pay them to move. The Cowboys are probably looking at Houston’s pick at 13 but they probably want a ransom as well. I could see the Patriots taking Zion and the Packers taking Green. I saw a mock were the Cowboys are basically left with Linderbaum and Lloyd so anything is possible.
Imagine that. An intelligent franchise values stuffing the run.

lk8701

Reaction score
I like both players, but hate to trade up in this year's draft with such good depth in the middle rounds.

If they take Jags like Nashon Wright and Chauncey Golston with those picks I would prefer a trade up.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think it will be Jordan Davis thats who I have been thinking all along. Its what the defense is missing

He won't make it to 24.

Unless we trade up.

I seriously hope we don't friggin' trade up.

Too many players on this board because of COVID. Lots of talent in the 3rd round..

Stay put, or move back...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’d rather stay at 24 and take Tyler Smith than trade up for Penning.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Bobby Belt's final mock has the Cowboys trading up for Penning, hmmm

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why are people interested in an O-Tackle with our 1st round pick if Tyron Smith is not going to retire for at least another 3 years?

Cowboys have a hole right now at Left Guard. Trevor Penning is a Left Tackle, NOT A GUARD.

Cowboys need an actual real Left Guard right now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Penning but I'd be hard pressed to trade up for any OT let alone a small school OT.

Tyron coujld give us 3 more quality years. I understand this player could start at OG but that is just way too rich for me.