I think Penning is their trade up target

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m going to hold out hope that they’ve looked back at their last two early playoff defeats and realized that they need to do something to stop being run over.
I agree, but need to see it to believe it. I'm on record wanting Jones at 24 or even a small trade back, but know that is probably wishful thinking.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would stay at 24, but Penning is a good prospect. His profile to me, says Right Tackle and might struggle with speed rushers.
But if he is a monster guard that gets the running game going, Penning will be worth the pick and trade capital. Do you think a 1 and two 5ths can move the Cowboys up to 21?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As rumor h there are ppp
I would stay at 24, but Penning is a good prospect. His profile to me, says Right Tackle and might struggle with speed rushers.
I suppose in this wildcard draft its extremely difficult to plot how far to move up. Especially difficult for us as our divisional rivals have 5 of the picks ahead of us and I'd assume they'd want blood from the divisional champs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think we’re going to be shocked when it’s Jordan Davis.
i would ♡ that georgia dawg in the middle of our dline.
if true....stephens comment about how much they value dt's was a tip about what was coming.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not out of the question
If so, then it's just 2-3 spots, max.

They are not trading way up to 14 or so for Penning

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I think we’re going to be shocked when it’s Jordan Davis.
Im so conflicted about JDavis. If he becomes what his ceiling appears to be that would be phenomenal however because he was surrounded by such great teammates I dont know what to think. Some people I respect are high on him? I dont know.

Western

Reaction score
Panic drafting/trading up significant spots for 1 player can be disastrous -- especially in the 1st round.
If teams stay strictly to their draft board, trust their scouting department, have a competent coaching staff (that can develop young players), & avoid impulse draft reactionary moves, preserving draft capital in constructing a full roster is an asset.
Even trading up for QB (the most important position) in the 1st round carries significant risk.

GM's are held accountable for such rash moves.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Trade up targets are London, Neal, Cross and Thibadeau IMO. I would hate trading up for Penning or Hamilton. If either of those two slide to 24 take them by all means. If any of the four I listed get past 10 trade up.

Im only trading up for a LT. So that's Cross for me, assuming he somehow drops out of the top 10. Otherwise, Im staying put.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
But if he is a monster guard that gets the running game going, Penning will be worth the pick and trade capital. Do you think a 1 and two 5ths can move the Cowboys up to 21?
Think he is long gone by 21. If they move up in the early teens, it's going to cost them their 2nd rd pick. 18-20 would cost a 3rd rd pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just trying to save the premium picks.
Teams like the Ravens, Saints, Chargers are all interested. There is a lot of Tyler Smith buzz this morning. Also, hearing Green could come off the board much higher and ahead of Zion.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Penning is NASTY. A thug at LT. We can use him at LG the first year then replace Tyron with him. I hate the idea of trading ^ still. BTW..He is better than Cross and its not even that close.
Interesting take. I definitely have Cross rated higher. I’m fine with Penning just don’t want to trade up for him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Teams like the Ravens, Saints, Chargers are all interested. There is a lot of Tyler Smith buzz this morning. Also, hearing Green could come off the board much higher and ahead of Zion.
Ravens are a lock for Davis if he gets to 14. They have plenty of middle round picks already. You would have to over pay them to move. The Cowboys are probably looking at Houston’s pick at 13 but they probably want a ransom as well. I could see the Patriots taking Zion and the Packers taking Green. I saw a mock were the Cowboys are basically left with Linderbaum and Lloyd so anything is possible.

quickccc

Reaction score
I hope the WR talk in 1st is a smoke screen to shield their true intentions.

But I'm not buying WR in first round talk.
yes, they may be high on a couple of WRs, but those WRs will be behind the two or three guys they really coveted at other positions.
I'm already preparing myself, for a detour away from the two supposed OGs in first rd. too.

For one, supposedly Cowboys already have their lead WR in Lamb, and they just dished out a big, long term contract to an ACL recovering
Gallup, who will likely be PUP to start '22. (which i need to see if there's an opt out there)
So we are gonna commit to another " lead" WR in first round ?
and i haven't any of these guys like London, Burks, 2 Buckeyes WR being Calvin Johnson 2.0

Two: Even Deebo;s ..Davante Adams, ..DJ Metcalf, ..Kupp,.. McLaurin, .Sutton..Stephen Diggs, etc. were drafted in rounds past the 1st round.

- Bottom line: if Cowboys draft a London, Burks or the 2 Buckeyes WR in 1st rd, then that tells me they were such blue chippers and head-shoulders over
Group A player that they felt so compelled to select them. (ala Lamb)
Also would indicate to me concerns over Lamb as a feature WR, and Gallup long term durability- which why the new contract then ?)

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ravens are a lock for Davis if he gets to 14. They have plenty of middle round picks already. You would have to over pay them to move. The Cowboys are probably looking at Houston’s pick at 13 but they probably want a ransom as well. I could see the Patriots taking Zion and the Packers taking Green. I saw a mock were the Cowboys are basically left with Linderbaum and Lloyd so anything is possible.
I'm hearing the Chargers really like Green as a backup plan if they don't get Penning or Davis.

Sydla

Reaction score
McShay predicted in his mock we'd trade 24, 56 and nesxt year's 2nd to move up for Penning.

Not a fan.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm hearing the Chargers really like Green as a backup plan if they don't get Penning or Davis.
If that is true the Cowboys will do everything they can to move up in this draft as no offensive linemen or receivers will make it to 24. McShay, Kiper, and Jeremiah don’t have Green in the first round of their final mocks. They also picked players for the Cowboys who we know they won’t draft.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hope the WR talk in 1st is a smoke screen to shield their true intentions.

But I'm not buying WR in first round talk.
yes, they may be high on a couple of WRs, but those WRs will be behind the two or three guys they really coveted at other positions.
I'm already preparing myself, for a detour away from the two supposed OGs in first rd. too.

For one, supposedly Cowboys already have their lead WR in Lamb, and they just dished out a big, long term contract to an ACL recovering
Gallup, who will likely be PUP to start '22. (which i need to see if there's an opt out there)
So we are gonna commit to another " lead" WR in first round ?
and i haven't any of these guys like London, Burks being Calvin Johnson 2.0

Two: Even Deebo;s ..Davante Adams, ..DJ Metcalf, ..Kupp,.. McLaurin, .Sutton..Stephen Diggs, etc. were drafted in rounds past the 1st round.

- Bottom line: if Cowboys draft a London or Burks in 1st rd, then that tells me they were such blue chippers and head-shoulders over
Group A player that they felt so compelled to select them. (ala Lamb)
Also would indicate to me concerns over Lamb as a feature WR, and Gallup long term durability- which why the new contract then ?)

If they do trade up. it's going to be for a Tackle-either Penning or Cross, not a wide receiver. What I have read/heard for the majority of the offseason is they want a positional flex lineman. Perhaps a Tackle who can start at Guard and eventually kick outside to replace Tyron Smith. I do believe they will be drafting a high receiver, just not in rd 1. Rumor has it that they were looking at many day 2 receiving prospects.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Supposedly the price is cheaper than normal
I don't think we'll know if that's true until tonight. There's basically been one trade so far that didn't include a player: I guess it supports the idea, but I don't know that we can extrapolate from it too much.
The Eagles traded 16+19+194 to NO for 18+101+237+2023 1st-rounder+2024 2nd-rounder. This is crazily off the charts: the Eagles gave up a ton to move from this year's first round to next year's. On the other hand, they still have 2 first-rounders this year and probably wanted to spread their wealth over the next couple years.