I think Watkins was benched

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Rack;1076971 said:
As he should of been.

Not cuz of the plays he gave up, but because of how he reacted after those plays. He let them get to him way too much. You have to be able to shrug it off and go back to work.

He'll be fine. He's just a rookie.
Anybody else remember Charlie Waters getting smoked by the Commanders when he was a rookie? I seem to remember a very big deal was made out of it at the time but I was very young...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rags747;1076818 said:
at the end. Saw a lot of Davis in there. Anyone else see this?

yeah he was taken out

funny...he got benched for basically making two bad plays in his first 4 games

a certain somebody at QB keeps being trotted out there no matter how many bad plays he makes, and his poor play has CLEARLY cost us two games now

and thats just this yr

David

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1077085 said:
Yep, I agree, a corner blitz is the stupidest blitz to me. Just dumb, bring a variety of LBs, but don't use your freakin CBs.

what kills me is that our corners are very good in coverage, a corner blitz is more for average corners out of a cover 2 shell. I really dont recall a corner blitz from us in the past but that call really smellls like a zimmer bright idea.
Much rather send Roy than Henry or Newman.

I would like to watch the game again but it seems like we played alot of zone, which is what the west coast is set up to beat. Any one notice the coverages ??

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1077050 said:
Did you hear about that one, though? Ware was gassed from the long run and Ratliff acted like he was giving him CPR. It wasn't really taunting the other team.

Kind of a weak "group celebration" call... That cost us huge in field position.
Very good point. I don't much like celebrations -- I'd rather players set the ball down and get on with the game. But this group celebration penalty is stupid.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
the kid shouldn't take it to hard. the first td, should have never happened, Ellis flat out missed the sack,, the second, he bit but recovered and was in pretty good shape, Roy took a bad angle and lost the ball and their WR just made a good play. Nothing to be down about.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pat Watkins has been benched

Keith Davis is now your starting free safety. What started as a promising day for Pat Watkins has turned ugly.

All-out blitz on third down, incomplete pass. Dirk Johnson, whose number is in my cellphone (don't ask), is on the field.

Terence Newman has apparently been watching ABC's Dancing With the Stars.

Posted by Matt Mosley http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 6:17 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (4)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You guys hanging the corner blitz on Zimmer... That's an old Parcells favorite from the Giants days. That was talked about when Parcells first got here.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;1077024 said:
Should have benched Ratliff. His stupid celebration penalty led to a Philly TD two plays later.
So he was the DB that got burned on that TD pass.

Right. Got it.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1077509 said:
Pat Watkins has been benched

Keith Davis is now your starting free safety. What started as a promising day for Pat Watkins has turned ugly.

All-out blitz on third down, incomplete pass. Dirk Johnson, whose number is in my cellphone (don't ask), is on the field.

Terence Newman has apparently been watching ABC's Dancing With the Stars.

Posted by Matt Mosley http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 6:17 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (4)

:nolook: :cry2: :cry:

:ralph: :storm:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1077548 said:
You guys hanging the corner blitz on Zimmer... That's an old Parcells favorite from the Giants days. That was talked about when Parcells first got here.

It was a good call too. It worked just like you draw it up,, cept one little thing,, the free guy didn't do his job. BLAME ELLIS,, not Parcells, not Watkins, Not Zimmer,, GREG ELLIS IS AT FAULT

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
I've never liked CB blitzes. If you are going to blitz somebody from the secondary, use a safety who is used to hitting. You blitz a CB who is more likely to miss the tackle, especially against a QB as big and mobile as McNabb, and rely on a rookie Safety to cover a WR you are asking for trouble, imo. There is a reason safeties are not CBs. Don't turn them into one mid-game.

mperfection

Reaction score
Wolfpack;1077203 said:
what kills me is that our corners are very good in coverage, a corner blitz is more for average corners out of a cover 2 shell. I really dont recall a corner blitz from us in the past but that call really smellls like a zimmer bright idea.
Much rather send Roy than Henry or Newman.

I would like to watch the game again but it seems like we played alot of zone, which is what the west coast is set up to beat. Any one notice the coverages ??

It was a lot of zone. I noticed it too...and wondered why we didn't play more man-to-man.

Zimmer - an accident waitin to happen!:rolleyes:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
ComicBookGuy;1077648 said:
I've never liked CB blitzes. If you are going to blitz somebody from the secondary, use a safety who is used to hitting. You blitz a CB who is more likely to miss the tackle, especially against a QB as big and mobile as McNabb, and rely on a rookie Safety to cover a WR you are asking for trouble, imo. There is a reason safeties are not CBs. Don't turn them into one mid-game.

Yeah, I don't really don't like any of the secondary blitzing, really, maybe the SS once every 2 weeks lol, but I would rather vary my front 7. But oh well.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1077548 said:

Ah well good catch. I just couldn't recall seeing it much from us.

dallas2G

Reaction score
In my opinion, I don't think Watkins played a horrible game. Roy should have never allowed the flea flicker TD pass to begin with. The only miscue he had was the mistackle on Basket. But then again, it was a great pass by McNabb who hit his reciever in perfect stride, giving him the momentum to break the tackle.

Give the kid a chance. He is a rookie after all and he's gonna take his lumps along the way. Hopefully he learns from this game and he improves as the season continues.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1077085 said:
Yep, I agree, a corner blitz is the stupidest blitz to me. Just dumb, bring a variety of LBs, but don't use your freakin CBs.

I didn't think the CB blitz offered much in the way of anything... especially with a QB that can scramble... McNabb moved away from the side of the rush every time it happened... Then the extra bought time was able to beat the FS for a TD... Besides, Dallas was pretty much containing the run and bringing pressure with DL and LBERs...

ddh33

Reaction score
I think Watkins had to go the bench because of his emotions as much as anything else.

On the bright side, we have a young kid who truly cares and can't stand the thought of letting his team down. On the other hand, he's got to show a little more emotional toughness.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;1077010 said:
Yeah, god i hate corner blitzes.

of course if Philly did that people would be asking "why do we never blitz our corners?"