I think we have improved player wise

JBS

Reaction score
There's is absolutely zero way we have improved player wise

Jipper

Reaction score
Losing Quinn and Bryon Jones were very bad hits and I’d say that heath was one of the most underrated players on the team...I don’t see a net benefit so far

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Without question to me we've improved in these areas...
McCoy > Maliek
Dix > Heath
Jarwin > Witten

Some unknowns...
Gregory vs Quinn (I think their numbers will be similar)
Byron vs his replacement (though Byron is likely better)
Cobb vs his replacement

Gotta figure of those unknowns, probably 1 of the replacements will be better. I don't think we've done anything that makes us instant contenders player wise but I do think we've improved overall. Now go get me someone who failed PE at 1 Tech because they could never finish the mile despite having a 45 minute time limit.
You are banking too highly on Gregory even playing this season. I agree with you about McCoy, Dix and Jarwin being improvements. But without Dak either signing his tag or a new contract and not knowing who we draft yet I can not agree that we have improved player-wise.

JBS

Reaction score
You are banking too highly on Gregory even playing this season. I agree with you about McCoy, Dix and Jarwin being improvements. But without Dak either signing his tag or a new contract and not knowing who we draft yet I can not agree that we have improved player-wise.

It doesn't even make sense to say jarwin is an improvement. He was on the team last year. Is he better than Witten at this point? Probably. But he isn't a new player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It doesn't even make sense to say jarwin is an improvement. He was on the team last year. Is he better than Witten at this point? Probably. But he isn't a new player.
You just said it yourself, "Is he better than Witten at this point? Probably." That is an improvement. Witten was getting minimal yards after the catch while Jarwin was a playmaker after the catch, even running the ball into the end zone from 30 yards out. Giving him the starting job creates a huge potential for improvement at the TE position. That doesn't mean we can't bring in a veteran or draft another TE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Improvements don’t have to come in the form of new players. Once they finally got their turn players like Romo and Beasley, for example, improved the team. Witten himself wasn’t the starter in his first season, but he was a big plus when he got to start.

JBS

Reaction score
Improvements don’t have to come in the form of new players. Once they finally got their turn players like Romo and Beasley, for example, improved the team. Witten himself wasn’t the starter in his first season, but he was a big plus when he got to start.

Ultimately this is the truth. But at the end of the day, this roster is not better than last year's roster. Not yet.

ESisback

Reaction score
I would bet the farm he’ll get more targets, and he WAS fairly productive when he got the ball. Nothing’s guaranteed, but personally, life’s better for me when I’m optimistic.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Disagree on this point. McCoy is definitely and upgrade.

Gerald McCoy recorded 42 pressures and 19 run stops in 2019 Those marks would have ranked 2nd and 1st for Dallas at the position last season.

He is light years better playing the run.

I grant McCoy had better numbers last year, but he wasn't playing next to Covington for 6 games. Context matters. And still, McCoy's arrow is down, Maliek's arrow is up. Age matters.

And your numbers look way off.
Per Pro Football Reference, McCoy had 22 pressures, and Maliek had 21. They both had 15 solo tackles, but McCoy had a lot more assists.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoGe99.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CollMa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference....00&fromyear_2=2019&toyear_2=2019#totals::none

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Improvements don’t have to come in the form of new players. Once they finally got their turn players like Romo and Beasley, for example, improved the team. .

Improvement of HC is huge. Moore is probably better.
New defensive coaches better than old crew? Most think so.

A healthy Frederick is big. They said he started at 50%, ended at 75%. Expect 100% next year.
At LG, either Williams is better, or McGovern is better than him.

Young guys get better. We've got a lot of them. At 29, Tyron, Martin, and Frederick hopefully have a gradual glide path. No other significant players of their age or older.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Most of those are lateral moves but losing Quinn and jones is not. I’m not going to make a big deal out of it yet, but I don’t think we got better one bit.