I want Romo to return. The Tom Brady clone can stay hurt.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2395767 said:
Tidbit from the 103.3 postgame show last night... Was going to start a thread on it, but this is a good place for it...

Remember when Romo was so blah on the bench in Arizona when we kicked the FG to tie it up and we were all wondering why? Wally Lynn said he was hearing from people on the team that the reason for the glum look was that Garrett and Wilson had been trying to get him to be more robotic and less spontaneous in his play, and that he was sort of rebelling and pouting because of it.

Don't know if that's true, but it was the first time I'd heard that and it would make some sense.

Although the pouting would seem kind of childish, I really hope that is not true. I don't see how making Romo more robotic would improve his play.

What made Romo so good was his instincts. I'm afraid that if they try to mold him into something that he is not, then you will get the worst of both worlds and more mistakes will come out of it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tidbit from the 103.3 postgame show last night... Was going to start a thread on it, but this is a good place for it...

Remember when Romo was so blah on the bench in Arizona when we kicked the FG to tie it up and we were all wondering why? Wally Lynn said he was hearing from people on the team that the reason for the glum look was that Garrett and Wilson had been trying to get him to be more robotic and less spontaneous in his play, and that he was sort of rebelling and pouting because of it.

Don't know if that's true, but it was the first time I'd heard that and it would make some sense.
I'm getting nauseated just reading that. Hopefully, that's not true.

Reaction score
DallasEast;2396014 said:
I'm getting nauseated just reading that. Hopefully, that's not true.

I am too.. He is not a true pocket passer. He isnt 6'5 with a laser. Let him ball the way he knows how to and create with all the ability he was given. He is a younger, non balding Jeff Garcia. Unforuntately when he does it sometimes, you have to accept that he is going to turn the ball over. You just hope its early in the game and not at a critical moment of play.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

Well if that's the case, and they're trying to force him to be something he's not, I hope when he returns he simply says screw it and does it his way. His way is what got him here and is what makes him a darn good QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Champsheart;2395489 said:
Bull!!!! Stats are stats but do not tell the story.
The issue is not how many times he has gotten sacked, the issue is he now stays in the pocket longer trying to let things develop. BAD, BAD move!

Romo has been throwing the ball with people at his feet, in his face, and defenders coming from behind.

The result is because Romo is trying to stay in the pocket longer he is not breaking the pocket early enough to free himself up and see down field.

This is when he buys more time and makes BIG plays, makes the defense pay. As Strahan said earlier this year Romo is the best QB he has seen throwing on the run. It gave defenses HECK.

Anyone can see Romo is trying to stay in the pocket longer and is not using that Romo magic we are used to seeing.

He has been over coached and his best attribute has been taken away from him.

None of what you are saying has anything to do with Romo trying to be like Brady and not drifting in the pocket. Romo studied one specific issue(drifting in the pocket) that he thought he could improve and used Brady as his example. Drifting in the pocket is a bad thing. It can lead to sacks and put offensive linemen in a bad position. Romo trying to improve on that is a good thing. It also doesn't prevent Romo from scrambling or making big plays. I don't see the correlation between the two things. When there is a good pocket, don't drift. When there is not a good pocket, scramble. Two separate issues.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
DallasEast;2392903 said:
I've almost lost all faith in this offensive line. Obviously, some, Adams in particular, are playing hurt, but playing hurt in the NFL is an excuse for not playing well enough to win.

Like it or not, this is the offensive line which Romo has to play behind. He will need his mobility of seasons past to get this offense back on track. However, if he comes back from his injury expecting that he should not scramble when the opportunity presents itself, he's going to be back on the sidelines nursing another injury, and this offense will tank again.

Come back Romo, but leave Tom behind. Please.
Well said dude! This is one of the things i was critical of Romo about before he got hurt. For some reason people started attackin me like if i was talkin crazy actin like i was blaming Romo for our struggles which i was not. But its obvious he's trying to be something that he's not and thats a pocket QB. Look obviously Romo is not playing bad but by staying in the pocket not only does it hurt the O-line. (Last year i said a couple times that the O-line wasnt all that great and people thought i was crazy as well.) It's Romo who makes the O-line better by moving around the pocket and adding the occasional threat of taking off with the ball that made the defense have to need someone to account for him. Romo is making it easier for the defense i mean its still a tough chore stopping him but still its easier than it was last year. So hopefully the Romo of last year returns because without him we arent even making the playoffs!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I want Romo to return. The Tom Brady clone can stay hurt

There were a few sacks/pressures that would have been avoided with a "Tom Brady Clone" back there. Brad Johnson created some of that pressure (and at least two sacks) with his own complete inability to "Feel" the rush.