I want to be a moderator...

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
You have to get the answer to the following within 15 seconds as it is a simple math equation.

THREE MEN GO INTO A MOTEL. THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK SAID THE ROOM IS $30,
SO EACH MAN PAID $10 AND WENT TO THE ROOM.

A WHILE LATER THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK REALIZED THE ROOM WAS ONLY $25,

SO HE SENT THE BELLBOY TO THE 3 GUYS' ROOM WITH $5.

ON THE WAY, THE BELLBOY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SPLIT $5 EVENLY BETWEEN 3 MEN, SO HE GAVE EACH MAN A $1 AND KEPT THE OTHER $2 FOR HIMSELF.

THIS MEANT THAT THE 3 MEN EACH PAID $9 FOR THE ROOM, WHICH IS A TOTAL OF $27, ADD THE $2 THAT THE BELLBOY KEPT = $29.

WHERE IS THE OTHER DOLLAR?

ok, i'll take a shot at this. The thirty dollars were with the guy at the front desk. He sent 5 dollars out (so he still has $25). The evil bellboy took $2, so there are $3 left. He gives the $3 back to the guys.

OK:

$25 are with the desk guy
$2 is with the bellboy
$3 is with the guys

25 + 2 + 3 = $30

Forget moderator, when do I get to be ruler of the world??? :cool:

gbrittain

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
ok, i'll take a shot at this. The thirty dollars were with the guy at the front desk. He sent 5 dollars out (so he still has $25). The evil bellboy took $2, so there are $3 left. He gives the $3 back to the guys.

OK:

$25 are with the desk guy
$2 is with the bellboy
$3 is with the guys

25 + 2 + 3 = $30

Forget moderator, when do I get to be ruler of the world??? :cool:

We have a winner!!!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage said:
It's a lot of work being a moderator.

It's not nearly as glamorous as you'd think. Time, energy spent into recruiting new posters....trying to be balanced in every post you make.....moving/merging/deleting posts.

And when there is a flamefest and a poster is really deserving of being flamed...and you want too.....putting it aside and doing the 'right' thing.

Then, there is the discussions that go on in Mod forums, deciding what's best for the forum, putting biases aside constantly, and trying to remain objective despite topics that clearly have strong opinions either way....the politics behind that...

And the editing of posts, explaining the rules over and over, the constant PM's you get, etc. And if you screw up....well, you are a moderator and are expected by the common users to be perfect. Mistakes get blown up when a mod makes them.

Nice post.:starspin

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
We have a winner!!!
well, that was an "obvious" answer.. it doesn't explain the "riddle" part of the question, which is in the wording of the question..

superpunk

Reaction score
Seriously, though - I think there are a few steps to becoming a moderator.

First, you should at least double the amount of polls you make. Because nothing says "let's make a difference", like an internet poll.

Second, I really don't think we have enough "Caption This" threads. So, next time you see a photo that could be deemed funny by standards as low as Carrot-Tops - definitely choose that time to post a "Caption This" thread.

Use more forum smilies in your posts. Trickblue has some serious pull with the man upstairs - and nothing makes him happier than seeing his kickarse smilies mis- and over-used.

Complete those three steps, and chances are - you're already on double secret moderator probation.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Seriously, though - I think there are a few steps to becoming a moderator.

First, you should at least double the amount of polls you make. Because nothing says "let's make a difference", like an internet poll.

Second, I really don't think we have enough "Caption This" threads. So, next time you see a photo that could be deemed funny by standards as low as Carrot-Tops - definitely choose that time to post a "Caption This" thread.

Use more forum smilies in your posts. Trickblue has some serious pull with the man upstairs - and nothing makes him happier than seeing his kickarse smilies mis- and over-used.

Complete those three steps, and chances are - you're already on double secret moderator probation.

I may have to shoot you in reguards to encouraging more polls.:laugh2:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EMMITTnROY said:
well, that was an "obvious" answer.. it doesn't explain the "riddle" part of the question, which is in the wording of the question..

That's right. The "riddle" part is that you don't add the bellboy's $2 to the $27 that the men paid. His $2 came out of the money they paid, so you subtract it. $27 - $2 = $25, which is what the room cost.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
jimnabby said:
That's right. The "riddle" part is that you don't add the bellboy's $2 to the $27 that the men paid. His $2 came out of the money they paid, so you subtract it. $27 - $2 = $25, which is what the room cost.
THANK YOU! I'm glad you got my back on this! I'm pretty sure that the asker of this question didn't even really know the answer.. :cool:

superpunk

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I may have to shoot you in reguards to encouraging more polls.:laugh2:

lol.....I tried to get back at ya.

You guys are fast. I thought it was funny.:laugh2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
lol.....I tried to get back at ya.

You guys are fast. I thought it was funny.:laugh2:
I meant to merge them and I accidentally deleted it. I don't have the rights to reinstate it so.......

Oops :eek::

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
I meant to merge them and I accidentally deleted it. I don't have the rights to reinstate it so.......

Consider it as him getting shot. :laugh2:

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

So...that qualifies as a "yes" vote?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Vintage said:
It's a lot of work being a moderator.

It's not nearly as glamorous as you'd think. Time, energy spent into recruiting new posters....trying to be balanced in every post you make.....moving/merging/deleting posts.

And when there is a flamefest and a poster is really deserving of being flamed...and you want too.....putting it aside and doing the 'right' thing.

Then, there is the discussions that go on in Mod forums, deciding what's best for the forum, putting biases aside constantly, and trying to remain objective despite topics that clearly have strong opinions either way....the politics behind that...

And the editing of posts, explaining the rules over and over, the constant PM's you get, etc. And if you screw up....well, you are a moderator and are expected by the common users to be perfect. Mistakes get blown up when a mod makes them.

HUH???? Since when? :confused:

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
and btw, I don't think there is anything a person can do if they want to become a moderator.

It sorta just happens.

One day you're walking along, minding your own business...some big guy walks up to you, after he's been stuck in a revolving door for about a half hour...he's accompanied by a guy with a beard and large breasts...and there's always a guy standing in the shadows (there's always a shadow because the big guy is THAT big) looking like the Wizzard of Oz, wearing a "Isn't Reality Funny" t-shirt.

The big guy whacks ya over the head with a looseleaf binder...and....next thing ya know, you're a moderator.

Or at least that is how it happened to me.

I'm only half kidding. Pretty much we'll just knock around who we feel has been an asset to the site...who we feel is level headed...communicates well...smart...has the time and willingness to help out...patience...and good judgement...

And then somehow, in spite of all of that, we end up with someone like Winicki or trick. :eek: