I was wrong about Dorrance Armstrong

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Since Mr. Cowboy retired, they only gave out 74 to players they thought would not make the team. A lot of players have tried to earn their way onto the roster wearing that number, all had predictably failed... until now. Dorance has been so outstanding he’s now a stone-cold lock to make the team. They’re saying he already looks a lot better than Taco does, and he was a first round pick. That’s impressive. I vote to let him keep the number and start a 74 club. He’s literally earned it.

Beaker42

Reaction score
No you weren't wrong. The fact is you have no idea if you were right or wrong yet.

Early returns hint at him being right about being wrong about Dorance. Kid just might Ware out his welcome in Big D. I’m stoked about this rookie more than any other in a long time. He’s way ahead of where Tank was as a rookie.

gmoney112

Reaction score
74 is just a camp thing. They've said when it comes to the season he won't be wearing it.

And yup, Armstrong is a nice story this season. Hope he gets a lot of snaps this weekend. I'd wear Taco, Armstrong, and Tapper out this weekend since Gregory is held out until 3rd preseason game. I'm excited about this group, more excited than any pass rushing group we've had in a long time.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong is demonstrating the sort of ability right now that's catching the eyes of those in camp. There's no question but what it's early yet to get overly giddy about it but it's encouraging, nevertheless. He's done enough already to earn more snaps in the weeks ahead. Let's see where that takes him (and those trying to block him, as well.) So far, training camp has given rise to many good things happening at DE -- a welcome sight, indeed. :)

Last edited:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Simply ask “Dorrance Armstrong” if he can pick Bob Lilly's photo out of a police line up of four other photos of randomly selected 1960s football players and that will tell you all you need to know about the tremendous "burden" he's been saddled with...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Ya know ,Bro! A large quantity of them there OAKLAND RAIDERS players BACK IN THE DAY,,, would've " tomahawk chopped" a niggeling little trite casing-liner likeTURF TOE,,,outta' the game day equationo_O

* JUST SAYING IT,TO noone IN PARTICULARo_O

:starspin::star::starspin:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Off topic but still a DL thing. No idea how Osborne got cut so early. Not like were deep at DT. Saw the Broncos added him. Dont feel he even got a chance.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Our tradition is to put people in the Ring of Honor and not retire numbers. It is a cool, unique tradition. Unofficially retiring numbers without actually retiring the number only undermines that tradition, IMO.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.

How do you square this with your general disdain for CBs? His position alone should take him out of the running, no?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We'll see if he improves and plays in real games. We'll see if he can stay healthy and on the field.

I couldn't care less about jersey numbers. They're just numbers and reserving or retiring them is silly. Eventually you would have to go to triple digits.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Anyway, we may have ourselves a 4th round steal on our hands.

We're all wrong sometimes Bob and it's TC. As far as wearing #74, not a bad mentor at all. I see your point tho, I'd be a little ticked if someone wore #22. Let's hope we have something in Armstrong. Nice rotation with Tank, Taco, Armstrong and Gregory. I know this is pie in the sky stuff, but I still have hopes for Tapper too. We've come a long way on the D-line and I'm forgetting more and more about Dirving every day