I will never like Jason Garrett

khiladi

Reaction score
Now that Tony's career is over, I can fully blame stupid red head for ruining every single bit of it.

Every single bit of any failure can be traced back to the HCIC (Head Clapper in Chief).

Officially the worst decision Jerry ever made, among the many bone-headed ones. If you think about it, the decision got so bad they tried luring Tony Sparano back, the year Callahan 'by chance' fell into their lap, because TS took the Jets job after Bill got fired.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Officially the worst decision Jerry ever made, among the many bone-headed ones. If you think about it, the decision got so bad they tried luring Tony Sparano back, the year Callahan 'by chance' fell into their lap, because TS took the Jets job after Bill got fired.

Actually, not officially. Just according to a handful of guys on the internet who never liked him and don't want to change their opinions now that the Associated Press has named him the NFL COTY and despite the fact that the organization, his staff, and his players pretty much all seem to love him and play hard for him, and the fact that he's delivered 12 and 13 win seasons two out of he last thee years for the team he's pretty much overhauled completely in his tenure.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Actually, not officially. Just according to a handful of guys on the internet who never liked him and don't want to change their opinions now that the Associated Press has named him the NFL COTY and despite the fact that the organization, his staff, and his players pretty much all seem to love him and play hard for him, and the fact that he's delivered 12 and 13 win seasons two out of he last thee years for the team he's pretty much overhauled completely in his tenure.

Nice

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nah, Romo deserves some of the blame as well. He was the same guy that said interceptions don't bother him because that's part of what comes with a QB that makes plays and would constantly say 'in 10 years nobody will remember me anyway.'

When he was dating Jessica Simpson, he didn't miss practices or training sessions, but he was literally flying to LA almost every night and then coming back. There are people that told me at the time about this and while they liked Romo and did say he never missed meetings or practices or sessions, they did wonder how effective you can be doing all that traveling and all of the nightlife stuff. And I tend to agree with them.

We gave Romo quite a bit of autonomy with the offense, but it took until 2014 for Garrett to reign him in and make sure he was committed to the run. Wade had mentioned times when we got away from the run and then Garrett did and there was a infamous incident when Jason Hatcher yelled at Romo in practice for checking out of a run and Hatcher didn't put it very nicely.

He also never understood why slowing down the pace of the offense was bad for the offense. He just kept doing it with his 1,583 audibles in the last .00001 seconds before the playclock expired.

The issue I have with the coaching staff is that they took forever to figure out Romo's strengths and weaknesses. Less is more with Romo and for various reasons. He's not a good QB at throwing underneath stuff. He's excellent at throwing intermediate routes, anticipating deep pass patterns, creating broken plays for the deep passes and has an awesome play action. That would dictate that the running game needed to be a big part of the offense so you can replace those dink and dunk passes that Romo wasn't good on with quality runs. And we can use that running game to set up play action.

The entire concept of trying to make Romo like Brady and hang back all the way in the pocket was moronic. Brady is much taller, stands taller and throws overhand. Romo plays shorter and needs to be mobile in the pocket and find his passing lanes. He was really deadly on throws where he climbed up the pocket and could throw on the run. Yet, we got out of those things. It would be like if we got rid of RPO's and screen passes for Dak. If there was a QB in the league to follow for Romo, it was Drew Brees...not Tom Brady.

I would put about 25% of the blame on Romo and 75% of the blame on Garrett and the organization.

YR

khiladi

Reaction score

I know you have a crush on Garrett, which makes you refuse to see reason, but why do you continually embarrass yourself like this in that man-love.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/01/11/no-dallas-reunion-sparano-jets

Dallas was trying to re-hire Sparano, but he took the Jets job, so Callahan he'll into our laps by accident. And Bill totally revamped our line with a new scheme, while Sparano was basically running what was being run here for years.

So the idea that this OL was all part of Jason Garrett's plan is ridiculous. Jason and Jerry were looking backward. Then Callahan brought in Leary and the running game was totally revamped and Callahan was already threatening Garrett for his job, because Jason lost his play-calling duties the very next year.

Imagine that.. I'm right again..

The best feature the Cowboys are known for was because of the coach that Jason felt threatened by, but has no problem taking credit for his work..

Let's not forget this also correlated with them making the decision to draft Mo Clairborne, switch to 4-3 and bring on Kiffen, which was another one of their disasters, the targeting of Sharif Floyd that was over-ruled and three defensive players targeting above Martin, meaning Garrett wasn't systematically targeting changing their offense and the OL..

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Nah, Romo deserves some of the blame as well. He was the same guy that said interceptions don't bother him because that's part of what comes with a QB that makes plays and would constantly say 'in 10 years nobody will remember me anyway.'

When he was dating Jessica Simpson, he didn't miss practices or training sessions, but he was literally flying to LA almost every night and then coming back. There are people that told me at the time about this and while they liked Romo and did say he never missed meetings or practices or sessions, they did wonder how effective you can be doing all that traveling and all of the nightlife stuff. And I tend to agree with them.

We gave Romo quite a bit of autonomy with the offense, but it took until 2014 for Garrett to reign him in and make sure he was committed to the run. Wade had mentioned times when we got away from the run and then Garrett did and there was a infamous incident when Jason Hatcher yelled at Romo in practice for checking out of a run and Hatcher didn't put it very nicely.

He also never understood why slowing down the pace of the offense was bad for the offense. He just kept doing it with his 1,583 audibles in the last .00001 seconds before the playclock expired.

The issue I have with the coaching staff is that they took forever to figure out Romo's strengths and weaknesses. Less is more with Romo and for various reasons. He's not a good QB at throwing underneath stuff. He's excellent at throwing intermediate routes, anticipating deep pass patterns, creating broken plays for the deep passes and has an awesome play action. That would dictate that the running game needed to be a big part of the offense so you can replace those dink and dunk passes that Romo wasn't good on with quality runs. And we can use that running game to set up play action.

The entire concept of trying to make Romo like Brady and hang back all the way in the pocket was moronic. Brady is much taller, stands taller and throws overhand. Romo plays shorter and needs to be mobile in the pocket and find his passing lanes. He was really deadly on throws where he climbed up the pocket and could throw on the run. Yet, we got out of those things. It would be like if we got rid of RPO's and screen passes for Dak. If there was a QB in the league to follow for Romo, it was Drew Brees...not Tom Brady.

I would put about 25% of the blame on Romo and 75% of the blame on Garrett and the organization.

YR

Garrett didn't reign anybody in and why he got stripped of his play-calling duties..

Romo wasn't even allowed in game planning until he got the new contract and it was forced from on top by Jerry, using the analogy of Peyton Manning.. that year they made the change was when both Witten and Romo were seen yelling at Garrett on the sidelines in 2012-2013 season.

And then Kyle Orton, when Romo got injured, proceeded to chuck the ball as well while Garrett took back the reigns from Callahan, interfering that whole season, crying to Jerry and ended up calling the plays by the end and refusing once again to run the ball, with Orton chucking two key INTs against basic coverages by Philly..

then Linehan came in and Garrett wasn't even part of the play-calling and Jerry basically affirmed they don't want his hands on the offense and he will figure a role out.

2014 was Romo taking control away from Garrett completely and having a somewhat halfway competent OC working with him...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you have a crush on Garrett, which makes you refuse to see reason, but why do you continually embarrass yourself like this in that man-love.

Why dramatically overstate your case like this? It only undermines your actual argument. I've routinely said Jason Garrett is a good coach and a good fit for Dallas. That's turned out to be 100% true, whether you can acknowledge the results on the field or the support from the front office in the form of a long extension or the credit he gets from the press, his staff, and his players. There's no rational basis for denying it. I'm not the one embarrassing myself. Your take is the one that's out of line with reality. It doesn't matter if a half-dozen guys on the internet with the same ax to grind agree with you. You guys can be wrong as a group if you're not willing to acknowledge the obvious.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2012/01/11/no-dallas-reunion-sparano-jets

Dallas was trying to re-hire Sparano, but he took the Jets job, so Callahan he'll into our laps by accident. And Bill totally revamped our line with a new scheme, while Sparano was basically running what was being run here for years.

So the idea that this OL was all part of Jason Garrett's plan is ridiculous. Jason and Jerry were looking backward. Then Callahan brought in Leary and the running game was totally revamped and Callahan was already threatening Garrett for his job, because Jason lost his play-calling duties the very next year.

Imagine that.. I'm right again..

What's your logic here? Because we ended up with a different OL coach, that proves to you that Jason Garrett had no part in rebuilding the offensive line in Dallas? Because that doesn't follow logically. The obvious answer is the Cowboys felt there was more than one option for addressing the OL, which they obviously made a point of doing.

As for your fantasy that Callahan threatened Jason Garrett's job....it's hardly worth addressing. Callahan was effectively demoted while still under contract when Jason brought in Linehan. He left in a huff the following year to go to a division rival.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why dramatically overstate your case like this? It only undermines your actual argument. I've routinely said Jason Garrett is a good coach and a good fit for Dallas. That's turned out to be 100% true, whether you can acknowledge the results on the field or the support from the front office in the form of a long extension or the credit he gets from the press, his staff, and his players. There's no rational basis for denying it. I'm not the one embarrassing myself. Your take is the one that's out of line with reality. It doesn't matter if a half-dozen guys on the internet with the same ax to grind agree with you. You guys can be wrong as a group if you're not willing to acknowledge the obvious.

What's your logic here? Because we ended up with a different OL coach, that proves to you that Jason Garrett had no part in rebuilding the offensive line in Dallas? Because that doesn't follow logically. The obvious answer is the Cowboys felt there was more than one option for addressing the OL, which they obviously made a point of doing.

As for your fantasy that Callahan threatened Jason Garrett's job....it's hardly worth addressing. Callahan was effectively demoted while still under contract when Jason brought in Linehan. He left in a huff the following year to go to a division rival.

The logic is clear... I didn't overstate anything. I made a stately of fact, you denied it, I once again like countless times bring the proof, and you respond with a bunch of useless waffling and more denials..

I was right and you were wrong and your looking for excuses. Dallas went after Sparano in 2012. That is a fact.

Now it's clear were looking backward. They had no plan and Sparano wouldn't have changed the scheme to a zone-blocking one Jason coached in his whole life.

And in 1 year, Jason Garrett was demoted as play-caller for an average play caller in Callahan, but Garrett sabotaged him.

But your also right, Callahan was also demoted, but he wasn't demoted for Garrett but Linehan, because Dallas didn't want to change the offense from Coryell. How about that? So he left after building the number one line in football to the Commanders to build one of the better OLs in football in one season..

All the while, Jerry said Garrett won't touch the offense and will be a walk-around coach.

I know it's difficult for you that you got embarrassed once again..

khiladi

Reaction score
In fact, Callahan was so essential to Dallas OL play that they refused to let him walk after demoting him. And Zach Martin was the other result.

I guess he just so happened to not have any input though in OL play and who to draft during those years and it was all Garrett, while when Garrett had absolute control he brought in Houck and tried to get Sparano back and we had guys like Montreal Holland, Leonard Davis, Gurode and a whole list of forgettable scrubs we drafted outside the sure fire bet of Smith, that even my grandmother would have picked, of yeah, who was ten preceded by Mo Claiborne and the leveraging of the draft. But yeah, they were systematically targeting revamping the OL when proceeding to change to 4-3 the next year..

Of yeah, don't forget you always blamed the defense anyways to defend Garrett even when Romo was getting sacked 40 times a game and Garrett refused to run the ball..

khiladi

Reaction score

khiladi

Reaction score
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article3847045.html

“I like our staff. Jason should know, and I know that he knows, that the plan here and has been for him to be long term, and long term certainly being beyond this year, the coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Jason has a HIGH TOLERANCE FOR AMBIGUITY. He really does. That is very important in this situation.”

Of, look what we have here. Right again, with Jerry admitting that Garrett being removed from the offense puts his role in an ambiguous place.

He then proceeds to admit that this is what Jason didn't want:

“All of it was manifested by the fact that it was very difficult for Jason to get out of that role.

So Jason was stripped of play-calling duties and they got Linehan and that Jerry basically in the same article admits he liked his coordinators and will give them more control.

Why do you continually embarrass yourself?

Our success has been predicated on making Jason vanish, while giving appearances that he plays a big role simply to save Jerry's face as well as, because Jerry simply loves the guy and the Garrett family.