I will never like Jason Garrett

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
He is firmly entrenched on his position too. People have a hard time of just admitting they were wrong, so there is nothing Garrett can do now to earn his respect. Winning back to back Superbowls would not be enough. He would still find some reason to say that they were won in spite of Garrett.

LOL back to back Super Bowls???

Hell, I'd just like Garrett to win back to back playoff games. How about back to back seasons just qualifying for the playoffs??

Do some of you realize how long the man has been in Dallas?

He can have all the individual subjective hardware pieces in the world. How many playoff wins has the man led his team to?

Instead of pointing out his many flaws that he still hasn't had a clue as to how to overcome after all these years, let's just go back to what we have done since he has gotten here and more importantly since he was named the Head Coach.

He is Jerry's "yes" man. That's all he is and that's why he is so entrenched in his job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hell, I'd just like Garrett to win back to back playoff games. How about back to back seasons just qualifying for the playoffs??

He can have all the individual subjective hardware pieces in the world. How many playoff wins has the man led his team to?

Instead of pointing out his many flaws that he still hasn't had a clue as to how to overcome after all these years, let's just go back to what we have done since he has gotten here and more importantly since he was named the Head Coach.

He is Jerry's "yes" man. That's all he is and that's why he is so entrenched in his job.

I think a lot of fans don't realize how hard it is to win 12 or 13 games in an NFL season. And tobget a team to where our team is right now.

Do the same thing to defensive personnel we've don't offensively under Garrett, and everybody gets their share of playoff wins.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You can claim all you want, but Jerry flat out denied all of this when he gave the contract to Romo and when he hired Linehan. The quotes are in the links I provided among many.

Wade constantly complained about Garrett not running the ball, which was his whole reason to bring in Dan Reeves. That is another fact that cannot be denied. Wade had problems with Garrett, which time eventually proved right.

Reeves was supposed to be brought in as a consultant for player personnel, not as an O-Coordinator.

Wade also publicly said that Romo was audlbing out of too many run plays on 2 different occasions.

There was some talk about Norv coming in to 'help Garrett' along with Wade wanting Mike Solari to coach the O-Line instead of Garrett's preference of Hudson Houck. So I do think Wade had problems with Garrett, but he did call out Romo on 2 different occasions for not running the ball. I do think at that time Garrett enabled Romo.

The TOs and pressure those put on the defense, Wade put on the lack of running the ball because of Garrett, not Romo.

Not completely true. He publicly said that Romo checks out of too many run plays on 2 different occasions.

Romo had no problems running the ball the very year Linehan came and he didn't turn the Ball over.

Romo had a ton of autonomy over the offense. He CLEARLY audibled throughout his career.

If he audibled so much, he could have JUST AS EASILY audibled a pass play into a run play.

He didn't for almost his entire career.

The facts are that Wade called out Romo for checking out of run plays, then Garrett did when he was coach and then Jason Hatcher did in a practice after Romo became so pass happy.

When Callahan became the O-Coordinator and he was clearly calling the plays...we had games like the KC game where were were never behind by more than 7 points and we threw the ball 51 times and ran it 9 times.

YR

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score

I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I think you missed the point of what I was saying.

I realize that a lot of people have already formed their opinion of Garrett and I do believe that you are right. It really doesn't matter what he does going forward for those people.

I don't really know if I could be classified in that category to be honest. I don't think much of Garrett as a football coach and don't think he will ever have this team consistently winning in the postseason. I would however like to be proven wrong and be surprised.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I think a lot of fans don't realize how hard it is to win 12 or 13 games in an NFL season. And tobget a team to where our team is right now.

Do the same thing to defensive personnel we've don't offensively under Garrett, and everybody gets their share of playoff wins.

You are right. How long have we been saying that about the defense though?

In my opinion especially in today's NFL when every team seems to be good one year and suck the next, playoff success is more telling especially for the length of time he has been here.

I do realize that jerry jones is the owner of the team. We all know what that has meant. However I believe that garretts main success has been being jerrys puppet over anything he has done.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are right. How long have we been saying that about the defense though?

In my opinion especially in today's NFL when every team seems to be good one year and suck the next, playoff success is more telling especially for the length of time he has been here.

I do realize that jerry jones is the owner of the team. We all know what that has meant. However I believe that garretts main success has been being jerrys puppet over anything he has done.

One of Garrett's strengths is being able to work productively with Jerry, for sure. Like it or not, that's no something every good coaching option out there can say.

The defense has been a huge problem since 2012. And, yeah, they've been ignoring it--or rather trying to win the lottery throwing long shots at the problem. Last year in particular was troublesome in that they had the #4 and #34 picks and came up with no immediate defensive help.

That said, we've definitely been getting better each year. And now there's no excuse for not addressing the defensive talent. We're right there on the cusp of being a legit contender. All the other moving parts are in place, and the cap is in good shape going forward. Just need to keep drafting and developing. Which we've gotten pretty good at here.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
One of Garrett's strengths is being able to work productively with Jerry, for sure. Like it or not, that's no something every good coaching option out there can say.

The defense has been a huge problem since 2012. And, yeah, they've been ignoring it--or rather trying to win the lottery throwing long shots at the problem. Last year in particular was troublesome in that they had the #4 and #34 picks and came up with no immediate defensive help.

That said, we've definitely been getting better each year. And now there's no excuse for not addressing the defensive talent. We're right there on the cusp of being a legit contender. All the other moving parts are in place, and the cap is in good shape going forward. Just need to keep drafting and developing. Which we've gotten pretty good at here.

I agree.

I'll just say that I do expect to see this football team win playoff games and threat consistently for a Super Bowl in the near future.

Working well with Jerry hasn't at all proven to translate to wins. The only time we have had a coach that did pretty much what he wanted with any kind of real success with Jimmy and we all know how that turned out all of those years ago.

Hopefully it'll be different here in the next few years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

I'll just say that I do expect to see this football team win playoff games and threat consistently for a Super Bowl in the near future.

So do I. That's sort of the point. On the bright side, not long ago people were convinced Garrett couldn't get a team over .500, and that turned out not to be the case, too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Track record. Some see it for what it is. Others ignore it as if it never happened.

4-12 says far more than 13-3. But the Garrett Apologists only acknowledge two seasons instead of all seasons and HOW all those seasons played out.

That's a load of bull.

Any Coach in the league can get you 4-12 down his three best offensive players. The list that gets you multiple 12+ win seasons in a 3 year span is much shorter. If you can't be honest about what caused the losses in 2015, there's no hope for a reasonable discussion here.

And if you think those 2011-2013 teams were contenders who fell short due to coaching, I'm not the homer here. Go back and take a look at some of those rosters.