I wonder if all bears' fans are this stupid...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Got this off another board...

Spoken by a man who's team bought them some Super Bowls. (He was replying to a cowboys fan)

And before you say they were all "Drafted" (At least the big 3 on offense), I would like to see them keep all those great players with a salary cap. It wouldn't happen. They still could have won, but probably not as many.

Especially with that offensive line they had. No way that happens today. Thats why the Cowboys are in their rightful place.

So now we bought our superbowls?

Ummm... If I'm not mistaken, we were one of the youngest teams in the NFL when we won our first SB, and had one of the lowest payrolls.

When you accuse a team of "Buying" a championship it's cuz they paid FREE AGENTS to play for them (ex. the Yankees). You don't accuse a team of buying a championship when they pay their own players.

I swear, I wish all stupid people (like the bears fan I quoted) would just all disappear all at the same time. Just *Poof*, like that.

Hoov

Reaction score
Rack said:

Ummm... If I'm not mistaken, we were one of the youngest teams in the NFL when we won our first SB, and had one of the lowest payrolls.

When you accuse a team of "Buying" a championship it's cuz they paid FREE AGENTS to play for them (ex. the Yankees). You don't accuse a team of buying a championship when they pay their own players.

I swear, I wish all stupid people (like the bears fan I quoted) would just all disappear all at the same time. Just *Poof*, like that.

yeah, people who really dont follow football closely said the same sort of thing to me when the cowboys were winning. really Haley and deion sanders were the ONLY big name FA aquisitions i remember, and deion was only in on the 3rd SB.

When i brought this up one particular person claimed he was talking about the cowboys being able to pay irvin, emmitt and aikman, i said they were drafted and he said, yeah but the cowboys paid them a lot of money to keep them....DUH

Maybe its all the flash around the deion signing and thats all people who our fans of other teams rememeber, then they mistakenly view the cowboys of the 90's as a team that bought SB's.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hoov said:
yeah, people who really dont follow football closely said the same sort of thing to me when the cowboys were winning. really Haley and deion sanders were the ONLY big name FA aquisitions i remember, and deion was only in on the 3rd SB.

When i brought this up one particular person claimed he was talking about the cowboys being able to pay irvin, emmitt and aikman, i said they were drafted and he said, yeah but the cowboys paid them a lot of money to keep them....DUH

Maybe its all the flash around the deion signing and thats all people who our fans of other teams rememeber, then they mistakenly view the cowboys of the 90's as a team that bought SB's.

No kidding.

I was just thinking, if the Colts were to ever win a superbowl, would it be because they bought that superbowl? I mean, they have paid their players, haven't they? They let Edge go, but they could have kept him. They paid Manning a 35 million dollars signing bonus. I don't think the Cowboys paid that much in bonuses to ALL their "Stars" combined, and that was before the salary cap era (partially).

F'in moron Bears fan. I've debated with him before. He's an idiot, and a wussy. He's going to play college football for some DIII team. I swear, the worst local high school team in my town could probably beat their ***es.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Hoov said:

Actually we traded for Haley... so Deion was the only big name we took in FA...

superpunk

Reaction score
Ditka would beat the snot out of that 92 team....

But seriously, when speaking with Bears fans, these are the type of guys you're dealing with...

snl2.jpg

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Rack said:

The San Fran 69ers bought Super Bowl 29 at the advent of free agency... that's the team he should be referring to...

Dallas was drafted fair, paid up, and won in honest fashion... chock full of talent and coached by the best. Leased teams?? See the 69ers.

The confused Chi bear fan is probably just out of diapers. :laugh1:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
On the 1993 team, 10 of the 11 starters on offense where drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent by Dallas. The only player that wasn't was Jay Novacek who had been in the league 4 years prior and had a whopping 60 catches in that time span. Jerry certainly didn't "buy" that offense.

The O-Line consisted of Tuinea, Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Kevin Gogan and Mark Stepnoski. Tuinea was thought to be a crappy OT who had been in the league since 1983. The same was thought for Newton who was in the league since 1986. Both were signed by Dallas as undrafted free agents. The same was thought for Gogan who was in the league since 1987. Stepnoski and Erik Williams were both 3rd round picks.

In essence, for all of the talk about the O-Line being so great (which I never really bought too much into), it's clear that Troy, Emmitt, and Michael helped make the O-Line looks so great.

On defense, 9 of the 11 starters were guys that they either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent. The only guys that weren't were Charles Haley and Thomas Everett.

Just to get an idea of how well the Cowboys drafted and DIDN'T rely on Free Agency back then, the defending Super Bowl champion Steelers had the same amount of starters that they either drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent.

Rich...........

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He says we bought super bowl wins and then goes on to say that he'd like to see us try to keep a dynasty together with free agency around. :rolleyes:

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Rack said:

Pre-salary cap, yea, Haley and Deion, we bought those.

I dont know why your so upset about that accusation. Its been said before and will be said again.

Whats more its true. Without a salary cap, you can bet Jones would bought a few more over the 90s as well. He tried and failed miserably, Stupid Jones went in to cap hell, unlike Snyder who just manages to dodge the bullet every time. Maybe Snyders not so dumb after all, Jerry's proven hes stupid as a doorknob.

trickblue

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Pre-salary cap, yea, Haley and Deion, we bought those.

I dont know why your so upset about that accusation. Its been said before and will be said again.

Whats more its true. Without a salary cap, you can bet Jones would bought a few more over the 90s as well. He tried and failed miserably, Stupid Jones went in to cap hell, unlike Snyder who just manages to dodge the bullet every time. Maybe Snyders not so dumb after all, Jerry's proven hes stupid as a doorknob.

Again... we traded for Haley...

Ashwynn

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Again... we traded for Haley...
I know that, but we still had to pay the man, We bought him. In one way or another. Call it what you like, Jones bought those 90's trophies. Only pple that cant see things for what they are would say otherwise.

trickblue

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
I know that, but we still had to pay the man, We bought him. In one way or another. Call it what you like, Jones bought those 90's trophies. Only pple that cant see things for what they are would say otherwise.

You can see it any way you want, but there is a distinct difference between signing an UFA and trading for another player...

The fact that another fan of another team is using the Steinbrenner/Snyder model of buying teams as an accusation against the Cowboys SB should interest you.

If we use your rationale, then every team has bought their SB victories. Only people that can't see things for what they are would say otherwise.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:

But if that's "buying" a player then every super bowl team in history "bought" players for their championship because all those teams had traded players on their roster.

Before free agency, trades were much more commonplace and every team had a few guys they traded for.

You'd have to throw in all the players we got from the Walker trade from Minny too then. Issac Holt, et. al. all were traded for players.

Now this Bears fan saying we "bought" our championships meant it in a way that said we somehow cheated and didn't win the super bowls like the other teams before us. The other teams before us had traded players on their rosters, so IMO Haley should be thrown out of the equation in any "bought" player scenario. He was talking about acquiring players in a manner that the super bowl champions before us hadn't used. That's free agency.

Having said all of that... don't forget plan B. Jay Novacek was a plan B player, as were a few others. Those were the earliest free agents and our 92 team had a few of them on there.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
trickblue said:
You can see it any way you want, but there is a distinct difference between signing an UFA and trading for another player...

The fact that another fan of another team is using the Steinbrenner/Snyder model of buying teams as an accusation against the Cowboys SB should interest you.

If we use your rationale, then every team has bought their SB victories. Only people that can't see things for what they are would say otherwise.
If your opne piece away, you trade for that piece, have you not just bought the last piece of your team. He was not on your team before. regardless of how you got him, you went out and got him didn't you. If your talking a stereo or TV, you buy it, you cant buy a person, perse, but you can consumate the act of buying a person via FAy or trade.

Haley was bought and paid for.

Your right, most teams do buy thiers, look at Pats, buying a disgruntled Corey Dillon only to straighten him out and win another SB, that was bought. No issues here, thats the way business is done in the NFL.