I Would Trade up in Round 1 to Get Rolando McClain of Alabama

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I consider him to be the best long term fit we could acquire in round 1. I like his aggression more than any LT or FS or WR prospect we might have a shot at. Those are the positions I see as a biggest need type of scenario.

McClain is my favorite ILB prospect since Patrick Willis.

Brooking can't play forever and even Bradie James is creeping up in age a little. This kid is a Ray Lewis type of force in the making.

I figure he would be around pick #15 and we will be picking around 25. 10 spots.

I don't mind if you disagree on trading up. Just passing along how bad a crush I am acquiring.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Not bad. I have 3 guys I have been pimping slash man-crushing on since before the draft..Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, and Dez Bryant.. but McClain has really grown on me this year. Since I now believe Mays is a strong safety or linebacker in the NFL, I might even put McClain ahead of him.

McClain is the best linebacker prospect since Willis, no doubt. He also has an incredible football IQ to go with all that talent.

The more underclassmen that declare for this draft, the better the player who slides down to us. Jerry has never been afraid to move up in a draft so this could be very exciting or nerve-racking for us Cowboy draft fans.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
too bad we cant get McClain, Davis, and Iupati....cause if we could, that would be sweeter than ghetto kool-aid

RS12

Reaction score
Hostile;3098749 said:
I consider him to be the best long term fit we could acquire in round 1. I like his aggression more than any LT or FS or WR prospect we might have a shot at. Those are the positions I see as a biggest need type of scenario.

McClain is my favorite ILB prospect since Patrick Willis.

Brooking can't play forever and even Bradie James is creeping up in age a little. This kid is a Ray Lewis type of force in the making.

I figure he would be around pick #15 and we will be picking around 25. 10 spots.

I don't mind if you disagree on trading up. Just passing along how bad a crush I am acquiring.

I think he is gone by 15. Bama players sure to get alot of hype and exposure year end. I like Cody alot too.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I'd trade a 2011 first rounder, 2011 3rd rounder and a 2010 4th to move up to get him in the first.

That way.
1st-McClain
1st-Davis
2nd-Iupati.
3rd-Kyle Wilson

I wouldn't be able to wrap my brain around that if that happened. I don't see why it can't. Hopefully there's a suitor that would take that deal.

Here's why I would do it.

We get the left side of our O-line for the next 10 years
We get a MLB perenial probowl anchor for the next 10-12 years
We get another good corner that could potentially take over for Newman ( I'll take a Scandrick,Wilson and Jenkins secondary for the next 6-7 years.)

All in one draft.

Plus guys like Stephen Hodge,Robert Brewster,Jason Williams,Mike Hamlin, Brandon Williams will all essentually be draft picks so we can afford to dish out future picks.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I would, but I would prefer Eric Berry over him, Berry seems like a Polamalu sort of player, in which when he is on the field that defense will be 2x better, he looks to be a 1 man defense and that is a great bonus to the team, I would prefer Polamalu or Reed over Willis, wouldn't you?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
yo know I said spikes > mcclain in another HoS you said I was spewing non sense. Both players are finalist for best LB in the nation but only one of the two are up for best defensive player in the nation can you guess who?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3099690 said:
yo know I said spikes > mcclain in another HoS you said I was spewing non sense. Both players are finalist for best LB in the nation but only one of the two are up for best defensive player in the nation can you guess who?

Both guys could walk in and play from day 1 in our Defense.

The thing I like about Spikes though is he is used to playing in a defense that runs crazy type of blitzes like he would be doing here.

But once Phillips leaves I think McClain may be the safer choice in the long run.

Both guys can play though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3099721 said:
Both guys could walk in and play from day 1 in our Defense.

The thing I like about Spikes though is he is used to playing in a defense that runs crazy type of blitzes like he would be doing here.

But once Phillips leaves I think McClain may be the safer choice in the long run.

Both guys can play though.

Spikes is Legit. McClain not so much.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
[youtube]J734kA0DISg[/youtube]

vs

[youtube]JbfoPpAB0h4[/youtube]

Can't wait to see them both playing in a few weeks.

Thats a game for us draft fans to definetely watch.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3099723 said:
Spikes is Legit. McClain not so much.

He's big, fast, smart, and physical.

Its hard not to like guys with those traits.

He is getting extremely good coaching too so he wont be a complete noob when he is drafted. He'll have some good technique from day 1.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3099725 said:
[youtube]J734kA0DISg[/youtube]

vs

[youtube]JbfoPpAB0h4[/youtube]

Can't wait to see them both playing in a few weeks.

Thats a game for us draft fans to definetely watch.

I like the spikes highlights better. But bama UF will be a good game.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3099734 said:
He's big, fast, smart, and physical.

Its hard not to like guys with those traits.

He is getting extremely good coaching too so he wont be a complete noob when he is drafted. He'll have some good technique from day 1.

Yeah but when compared to Spikes it's easy to see whos clearly ahead of the other.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3099738 said:
Yeah but when compared to Spikes it's easy to see whos clearly ahead of the other.

I dunno man. Im a big Spikes fan but this guy may have more potential. He looks like a Demarcus Ware type @ MLB.

Saban also has a ton of trust in him and lets him make a lot audibles. That right there says a lot. Especially with a control freak like Saban.

I'd also love to know what type of player we have with Jason Williams.

He is a big fast guy too but if your a Rookie our coaching staff will not give you the time of day.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3099746 said:
I dunno man. Im a big Spikes fan but this guy may have more potential. He looks like a Demarcus Ware type @ MLB.

Saban also has a ton of trust in him and lets him make a lot audibles. That right there says a lot. Especially with a control freak like Saban.

I'd also love to know what type of player we have with Jason Williams.

He is a big fast guy too but if your a Rookie our coaching staff will not give you the time of day.

Spikes and Williams for the next 5 years sounds like Heaven to our ILB corps.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
I with you Hos this guy is special:

Arenas: McClain is like having Saban on the field

November, 3, 2009 Nov 3
3:46
PM ET

Email Print Sharevar stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({title:"Arenas:%20McClain%20is%20like%20having%20Saban%20on%20the%20field",url:"http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/5512/arenas-mcclain-is-like-having-saban-on-the-field",published: "2009-11-03"});stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink-5512"));
By Chris Low

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

It’s no secret that linebacker Rolando McClain is one of those guys Alabama’s Nick Saban loves coaching.

For starters, McClain’s a great player. But he and Saban are also a lot alike.

Senior cornerback Javier Arenas joked that having McClain out on the field is the equivalent of having Saban in uniform, albeit a bigger, faster, more athletic version of Saban.

“He’s real smart and has all the features that a great linebacker should possess,” Arenas said of the 6-foot-4, 258-pound McClain. “He’s smart. He’s fast. He’ll hit you, and he’s just like coach Saban being out there on the defense.

“Picture coach Saban being huge and able to play football. That’s what it’s like out there.”

McClain got a chuckle out of Arenas’ analogy, but he readily admits that he and Saban have their similarities.

Neither is easy to please.

“We’re both perfectionists, have a low tolerance for guys who don’t know what to do, and that’s what makes us somewhat similar,” McClain said. “Being in my third year, I pretty much know a lot about this defense, and we’re both good leaders.”

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3099690 said:
A few questions for you in return.

1. What style defensive scheme do we run?

2. What scheme is Brandon Spikes in at Florida?

3. What scheme is Rolando McClain in at Alabama?

4. Which player is younger by 2 years?

5. Who has the higher GPA?

6. Which one comes from a troubled background and was recently suspended for an on field incident?

6. Did you learn anything?

84 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 8 hurries, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble. He is a finalist for the Butkus Award, the Lombardi Award, and the Lott Trophy.

If you want to ignore facts, fine, but don't for one minute ever assume I am unaware of these players.