I Would Trade up in Round 1 to Get Rolando McClain of Alabama

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Hostile;3099797 said:
A few questions for you in return.

1. What style defensive scheme do we run?

2. What scheme is Brandon Spikes in at Florida?

3. What scheme is Rolando McClain in at Alabama?

4. Which player is younger by 2 years?

5. Who has the higher GPA?

6. Which one comes from a troubled background and was recently suspended for an on field incident?

6. Did you learn anything?

84 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 8 hurries, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble. He is a finalist for the Butkus Award, the Lombardi Award, and the Lott Trophy.

If you want to ignore facts, fine, but don't for one minute ever assume I am unaware of these players.

Seriously Hos, I am sick and tired of you spewing all of your factual nonsense during debates......you sound like a damn Conservative talking football. Don't you know that fools are deaf and blind to that of the factual variety.

on a serious note:

McClain > Spikes

When I watch McClain, it is like I am watching the college version of Ray Lewis, and I mean not only physically and emotionally, but mentally as well.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Hostile;3099797 said:

1. What style defensive scheme do we run?

2. What scheme is Brandon Spikes in at Florida?

3. What scheme is Rolando McClain in at Alabama?

4. Which player is younger by 2 years?

5. Who has the higher GPA?

6. Which one comes from a troubled background and was recently suspended for an on field incident?

6. Did you learn anything?

84 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 8 hurries, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble. He is a finalist for the Butkus Award, the Lombardi Award, and the Lott Trophy.

If you want to ignore facts, fine, but don't for one minute ever assume I am unaware of these players.

Love his IQ above everything, could definetely use a McClain. Having said that theres a good 5 players we can take at 24-32 @ FS, OT, or WR.

I think Im cool w/ 2 late 1sts and a mid 2nd.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Biggems;3099822 said:
Seriously Hos, I am sick and tired of you spewing all of your factual nonsense during debates......you sound like a damn Conservative talking football. Don't you know that fools are deaf and blind to that of the factual variety.

on a serious note:

McClain > Spikes

When I watch McClain, it is like I am watching the college version of Ray Lewis, and I mean not only physically and emotionally, but mentally as well.

To me its like watching Antonio Pierce in a Demarcus Ware type body.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3099797 said:

1. What style defensive scheme do we run? 3-4

2. What scheme is Brandon Spikes in at Florida? 4-3

3. What scheme is Rolando McClain in at Alabama? 3-4

4. Which player is younger by 2 years? McClain

5. Who has the higher GPA? McClain This is a little missleading. For two reasons one McClain doesn't have a major but he has a 3.1 GPA. Spikes has a 2.95 GPA while majoring in Social and Behavioral Sciences.

6. Which one comes from a troubled background and was recently suspended for an on field incident? Spikes was suspended is this the trouble background you're talking about? The half game suspension ? That he sat out the second half on his on say? You really going to crucify him for that ? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ker-rolando-mcclain-could-be-charged-in-fight

6. Did you learn anything? Nope.

I'm not ignoring anything.

HONORS/AWARDS
· Bronko Nagurski Trophy Finalist
· Chuck Bednarik Award Semifinalist
· Lombardi Award Semifinalist
· Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist
· Butkus Award Watch List
· SEC Defensive Player of the Week (10/13 – LSU)
· 2008 Team Captain
· 2008 UF Football Leadership Committee
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Football Time in Tennessee)
· Preseason All-SEC Team (Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook)
· Preseason Second Team All-American (Phil Steele)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Phil Steele)
· Preseason Second Team All-American (Athlon)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Athlon)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (SEC Coaches)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Media)

· A first-team All-SEC selection by the league’s coaches and the AP
· A second-team All-SEC honoree by Rivals.com
· 2007 UF Football Leadership Committee

Let's not act as if Spikes isn't an All-American nor as if he isn't just as accomplished if not more accomplished than McClain. Who is really ignoring the facts ? How many players on our defense came from a 3-4 scheme in college? I'm sure Dware was playing OLB so was spencer oh wait. Have you learned anything ?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
McClain would be a nice pick but I doubt we get him. Would just cost way too much to move up as high as I think we would need to. I think he will probably go in the top 10 or so. Now, this upcoming draft might have as many as 5 DTs who carry a 1st round grade. If Terrence Cody were there, I'd take him in and never look back. That would allow Ratliff to move to DE and could solve our outside pressure problem. You take Rat and put him next to Spencer and all of a sudden, you create a real problem for teams to defend. You almost have to single up on Ware which would allow for maximum efficiency.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3100030 said:
I'm not ignoring anything.

HONORS/AWARDS
· Bronko Nagurski Trophy Finalist
· Chuck Bednarik Award Semifinalist
· Lombardi Award Semifinalist
· Lott Trophy Quarterfinalist
· Butkus Award Watch List
· SEC Defensive Player of the Week (10/13 – LSU)
· 2008 Team Captain
· 2008 UF Football Leadership Committee
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Football Time in Tennessee)
· Preseason All-SEC Team (Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook)
· Preseason Second Team All-American (Phil Steele)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Phil Steele)
· Preseason Second Team All-American (Athlon)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Athlon)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (SEC Coaches)
· Preseason First Team All-SEC (Media)

· A first-team All-SEC selection by the league’s coaches and the AP
· A second-team All-SEC honoree by Rivals.com
· 2007 UF Football Leadership Committee

Let's not act as if Spikes isn't an All-American nor as if he isn't just as accomplished if not more accomplished than McClain. Who is really ignoring the facts ? How many players on our defense came from a 3-4 scheme in college? I'm sure Dware was playing OLB so was spencer oh wait. Have you learned anything ?

College honors dont really mean a whole lot though.

Its more about what can you do physcially and what do you have upstairs.

That said I like both guys and I think they will both be studs at the next level.

For me it would come down to knowing which guy was more passionate about the game and who I believe has more upside.

McClain is 6'4 255 and just seems like he has a ton of upside.

I think you can't go wrong with either guy though honestly.

I have a feeling that on draft day we will all be wanting to not hear either name be called for as long as possible in the 1st round so we can move up for either one of them. (Thats assuming there isn't any stud OT's available)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3100046 said:
College honors dont really mean a whole lot though.

Its more about what can you do physcially and what do you have upstairs.

That said I like both guys and I think they will both be studs at the next level.

For me it would come down to knowing which guy was more passionate about the game and who I believe has more upside.

McClain is 6'4 255 and just seems like he has a ton of upside.

I think you can't go wrong with either guy though honestly.

I have a feeling that on draft day we will all be wanting to not hear either name be called for as long as possible in the 1st round so we can move up for either one of them. (Thats assuming there isn't any stud OT's available)

There's an inch of difference in height. Spikes is 3 lbs heavier. They both have the intangibles Spikes > McClain though McClain isn't doing anything spikes hasn't done and Spikes has won 2 BCS titles.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3100051 said:
There's an inch of difference in height. Spikes is 3 lbs heavier. They both have the intangibles Spikes > McClain though McClain isn't doing anything spikes hasn't done and Spikes has won 2 BCS titles.

I gotta say this thread has got me even more pumped up than I was for the Florida vs Alabama game and I was extremely excited about the game before.

I may have to DVR it just in case we draft someone who will be playing in that game.

There is soooooo much talent that is going to be on display.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoyz4Life unless they are behind on the scoreboard or in the middle of a season said:
Spikes was suspended is this the trouble background you're talking about? The half game suspension ? That he sat out the second half on his on say? You really going to crucify him for that ?
First of all I would suggest that you don't know squat about crucifixion if you think that is what I did..

Second, I clearly delineated between his suspension and a troubling background. Spikes' brother was convicted of 1st degree murder stemming from a drug deal. Now I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that Spikes was not involved. It is still a bit this side of troubling for me that he is that close to it, and then tries to gouge a players eye in a game. I am pretty sure the NFL teams will investigate the murder charges and the suspension and any other tidbit that is the least bit resembling a red flag.

Finally, congratulations on figuring out the schemes they play in. It gives me hope that there is progress coming. I am not saying Spikes cannot transition. I am saying a head start is preferable and Saban's 3-4 scheme is one of the very best. McClain is a perfect fit from an equal athlete.

Therefore...McClain > Spikes for this team.

I will gladly take either guy, but the fact remains that when put on the scales to see which one carries more weight, by virtue of the system alone McClain makes more sense.

The Realist

Reaction score
I like both of them.

McClain is a much better fit due to scheme, character, football IQ.

That being said, we aren't getting him.

If we did we would have a log jam at ILB and be forced to make some very difficult decisions.

Brookings and Bobby gone.........

Jason Williams.....you have zero upside.

You are a career nickel LB at best.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
I would prefer Mcclain but I would take Spikes in a heartbeat. The difference is we would have to trade up for Mcclain but Spikes could be on the board when we pick.

Mcclain reminds me of a Derrick Brooks/Patrick Willis. IMO he would make this defense elite because of his attention to detail. He would make sure everyone knows their assignments as well as deliver punishing hits. Also at 6'4, he would be a pain for opposing QBs when he' in coverage.

Spikes is just a nasty, physical beast who plays the game like a throwback player. He's a bully who could make this defense even meaner than it already is.

Can't go wrong with either one.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3100081 said:
First of all I would suggest that you don't know squat about crucifixion if you think that is what I did..

Second, I clearly delineated between his suspension and a troubling background. Spikes' brother was convicted of 1st degree murder stemming from a drug deal. Now I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that Spikes was not involved. It is still a bit this side of troubling for me that he is that close to it, and then tries to gouge a players eye in a game. I am pretty sure the NFL teams will investigate the murder charges and the suspension and any other tidbit that is the least bit resembling a red flag.

Finally, congratulations on figuring out the schemes they play in. It gives me hope that there is progress coming. I am not saying Spikes cannot transition. I am saying a head start is preferable and Saban's 3-4 scheme is one of the very best. McClain is a perfect fit from an equal athlete.

Therefore...McClain > Spikes for this team.

I will gladly take either guy, but the fact remains that when put on the scales to see which one carries more weight, by virtue of the system alone McClain makes more sense.

That clears it up a little bit. However, to say he comes from a trouble background because his brother did something is silly. You can tell the kid has a good head on his shoulders other wise he wouldn't of been at Florida with the GPA his has for as long as he has. The eye gauging thing happening was dirty no doubt about it. However, he was suspended then sat out the rest of the game because he didn't feel as though he was punished enough so he clearly felt remorse you can tell by his actions. So am I thinking Spikes is a dirty player not in the least I think his did something stupid on a one time basis and never shown signs of anything like that again and hasn't never done anything like that before. If his draft status is going to be affected by what his family members do then that's ridiculous.

Yeah McClain played in a 3-4 however, that doesn't mean that will give him a leg up. Since Saban's 3-4 is most likely different than Wade phillips. So they will be an adjustment for both. They both have the size speed agility strength ability to play at the next level to play in the 3-4. You just like McClain while I like Spikes. Both All-Americans one made a dirty play and has a murderer for a brother the other doesn't but has had some off field incident. However, to be willing to trade up for one and not the other is a little baffeling too me. Also let's not forget that McClain has a virtually unblockable All-America NT playing in front of him. I don't think there's anyone like that on florida.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Realist;3100127 said:
I like both of them.

McClain is a much better fit due to scheme, character, football IQ.

That being said, we aren't getting him.

If we did we would have a log jam at ILB and be forced to make some very difficult decisions.

Brookings and Bobby gone.........

Jason Williams.....you have zero upside.

You are a career nickel LB at best.

Oh man I completely disagree with that.

He is huge and fast. I see a lot of upside there and potentialy a future starter for this club.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3100216 said:
Oh man I completely disagree with that.

He is huge and fast. I see a lot of upside there and potentialy a future starter for this club.

Yeah I agree with this we have a lot of young studs that just need to get shots however our team believes in the veterans philosophy and however gets paid plays.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3100193 said:
That clears it up a little bit. However, to say he comes from a trouble background because his brother did something is silly. You can tell the kid has a good head on his shoulders other wise he wouldn't of been at Florida with the GPA his has for as long as he has. The eye gauging thing happening was dirty no doubt about it. However, he was suspended then sat out the rest of the game because he didn't feel as though he was punished enough so he clearly felt remorse you can tell by his actions. So am I thinking Spikes is a dirty player not in the least I think his did something stupid on a one time basis and never shown signs of anything like that again and hasn't never done anything like that before. If his draft status is going to be affected by what his family members do then that's ridiculous.

Yeah McClain played in a 3-4 however, that doesn't mean that will give him a leg up. Since Saban's 3-4 is most likely different than Wade phillips. So they will be an adjustment for both. They both have the size speed agility strength ability to play at the next level to play in the 3-4. You just like McClain while I like Spikes. Both All-Americans one made a dirty play and has a murderer for a brother the other doesn't but has had some off field incident. However, to be willing to trade up for one and not the other is a little baffeling too me. Also let's not forget that McClain has a virtually unblockable All-America NT playing in front of him. I don't think there's anyone like that on florida.
Holy cow. 1 step forward, two steps backward.

Terence Cody is a beast, no doubt, but the NT in a 3-4 is a different assignment than DTs in a 4-3 and Florida's starting DTs are in no way slouches. You haven't heard of Lawrence Marsh? That's actually sad. The kid is a very good football player who could go in the 2nd round.

Playing in a 3-4 doesn't give you a leg up? You're really going to stick with that? Seriously?

Funny you bring up McClain's off field incident which was a 2 on 1 fight where one of the two frat boys used a racial slur to instigate the fight. Yeah, that is on par with an eye gouge. Credit to Spikes for sitting himself, but it is still a punk move.

The Realist

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3100224 said:
Yeah I agree with this we have a lot of young studs that just need to get shots however our team believes in the veterans philosophy and however gets paid plays.

I don't understand the belief going around that we don't play young players.

We play them when they think they are ready.

Somebody posted something about the number of players under 25 on this roster.

I'd rather be in the position we are in, where young players have to earn their way onto the field vs being so bad we are forced to play young players from day one whether they are ready or not.

Competition makes everyone better.

Bennett, Jenkins, Scandrick, Felix, Phillips, Choice all first or second year players.

We're trying to get to the Playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

This isn't training camp.

Back to the McClain/Spikes/Jason Williams discussion.

I don't believe in drafting progress stoppers.

Guys like Ogletree and JW have a lot of upside.

It doesn't make sense to limit that by drafting guys who make them career bench warmers.

We didn't do that with Romo, Ratliff, Crayton, Austin, or Free.

I wouldn't start it now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Realist;3100248 said:

It doesn't make sense to limit that by drafting guys who limit that upside by making them career bench warmers.

I wouldn't start it now.

Did my post convince you? lol

The Realist

Reaction score
CATCH17;3100262 said:
Did my post convince you? lol

My point was that if you draft a McClain/Spikes you are cutting Brookings and Carpenter and saying that JW has no upside, cuz he will have no opportunity but to be a nickel LB his whole career behind McClain/Spikes and Bradie.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3100239 said:
Holy cow. 1 step forward, two steps backward.

Terence Cody is a beast, no doubt, but the NT in a 3-4 is a different assignment than DTs in a 4-3 and Florida's starting DTs are in no way slouches. You haven't heard of Lawrence Marsh? That's actually sad. The kid is a very good football player who could go in the 2nd round.

Playing in a 3-4 doesn't give you a leg up? You're really going to stick with that? Seriously?

Funny you bring up McClain's off field incident which was a 2 on 1 fight where one of the two frat boys used a racial slur to instigate the fight. Yeah, that is on par with an eye gouge. Credit to Spikes for sitting himself, but it is still a punk move.

If Saban's 3-4 was a 1 GAP 3-4 then it would give him a leg up. If it's a 2 gap 3-4 which I suspect it is then I don't see it giving him a leg up. There's a big difference between Terrance Cody and Lawrence Marsh. No I have never he ard of this guy and where is he projecting round 2 at?

You seem to give McClain more excuses than a lil bit. His off the field fight isn't his fault because he didn't provoke it? Or because he was called a racial slur?

The Realist;3100248 said:
I don't understand the belief going around that we don't play young players.

We play them when they think they are ready.

Somebody posted something about the number of players under 25 on this roster.

I'd rather be in the position we are in, where young players have to earn their way onto the field vs being so bad we are forced to play young players from day one whether they are ready or not.

Competition makes everyone better.

Bennett, Jenkins, Scandrick, Felix, Phillips, Choice all first or second year players.

We're trying to get to the Playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

This isn't training camp.

Back to the McClain/Spikes/Jason Williams discussion.

I don't believe in drafting progress stoppers.

It doesn't make sense to limit that by drafting guys who limit that upside by making them career bench warmers.

I wouldn't start it now.

We don't play our young players that's a fact. Butler prime example of this. Look at Austin if RW didn't get hurt Austin would of never had those amazing games. How is Spike or McClain a progress stopper when one can play SILB and the other WILB. You're not building much off a case for yourself our Tackle depth is crap so is our NT depth. Our back ups are question marks and the WR position is meh. Especially with RW in the line up. Crayton and Austin have made players and have had huge games for us but not drafting guys that play the same position and for what? Not to stop their progress. Steve Smith progress in NY doesn't seemed to be slowed after they draft Manning ham and Manningham progress didn't come to a stop after the drafted Nicks. Jackson progress hasn't come to a stop after they drafted Maclin. So can you explain the totally lack of regard in us drafting position because we have sub par play at these positions with the exception of Romo and Ratliff.

The Realist

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3100306 said:
If Saban's 3-4 was a 1 GAP 3-4 then it would give him a leg up. If it's a 2 gap 3-4 which I suspect it is then I don't see it giving him a leg up. There's a big difference between Terrance Cody and Lawrence Marsh. No I have never he ard of this guy and where is he projecting round 2 at?

You seem to give McClain more excuses than a lil bit. His off the field fight isn't his fault because he didn't provoke it? Or because he was called a racial slur?

We don't play our young players that's a fact. Butler prime example of this. Look at Austin if RW didn't get hurt Austin would of never had those amazing games. How is Spike or McClain a progress stopper when one can play SILB and the other WILB. You're not building much off a case for yourself our Tackle depth is crap so is our NT depth. Our back ups are question marks and the WR position is meh. Especially with RW in the line up. Crayton and Austin have made players and have had huge games for us but not drafting guys that play the same position and for what? Not to stop their progress. Steve Smith progress in NY doesn't seemed to be slowed after they draft Manning ham and Manningham progress didn't come to a stop after the drafted Nicks. Jackson progress hasn't come to a stop after they drafted Maclin. So can you explain the totally lack of regard in us drafting position because we have sub par play at these positions with the exception of Romo and Ratliff.

Butler only started playing on the strong side after Williams got hurt.

Do you think he knows it as well as Spencer?

The staff had been touting Austion for 2-3 years.

You don't think they saw something in him to keep a UDFA around that long.

How been giving some credit for unearthing stars from nowhere.

Ok...you just drafted McClain or Spikes.....show me your depth chart at ILB?

Talk to me about the NYG's?

Didn't they have to completely retool at WR due to Toomer (Age) and Plax (issues)?

Probaby made sense to draft heavy at the position.

Eagles have sucked at WR for a decade with TO being the exception.

Probaby made sense to draft heavy at the position.

When you score homeruns off the street as UDFA's you don't have to use high picks.

I know UDFA's aren't very sexy to Madden fans, but the are kinda helpful when you hit one out of the park.

And would someone please define what a young player is?