Ian Rapoport: Dez now out 10-12 (pure speculation)

Craig

Reaction score
I don't think you understand. He had a bone graft. He is NOT coming back with "plenty of time to hit stride." That 10-12 weeks time frame is also VERY optimistic. Unless we make the playoffs, Dez most likely is done for the season.

I dont. And neither do you. We arent doctors.

esloan

Reaction score
Ugh. Really difficult not to break the boards no cursing rule right now.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
This is the best talent the Cowboys have fielded in years IMO. They'll be fine, big loss no question, but this is still a playoff team and likely division winner. And I'm usually a glass half empty kind of guy.

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't think you understand. He had a bone graft. He is NOT coming back with "plenty of time to hit stride." That 10-12 weeks time frame is also VERY optimistic. Unless we make the playoffs, Dez most likely is done for the season.

And you know this how? Until this morning you didn't know anything more than everyone else here. You read one article from Ian Rappaport where he suggest 10-12 weeks and you take that and extend it to the whole season and tell people who don't agree with you that they don't understand.

It's clearly you that doesn't understand.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score

What I do understand is from what other doctors tell me. And so far, within the past 4 years, everything they have said have always contradicted the Cowboys initial reports only to find out a few weeks later they ended up being right.

I'm just as upset as everyone in this forum; I can't even go back to sleep (was supposed to wake up 3 hrs from now but got a text regarding this injury waking me up). But I also know when to accept reality. Him coming back 10 weeks is the absolute best case scenario which is RARE.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
And you know this how? Until this morning you didn't know anything more than everyone else here. You read one article from Ian Rappaport where he suggest 10-12 weeks and you take that and extend it to the whole season and tell people who don't agree with you that they don't understand.

It's clearly you that doesn't understand.

Here, you're right. This is my opinion that Dez is most likely down until mid December/season (if we aren't in contention he gets deactivated like the Falcons did Julio). We have differing opinions.

I can accept that.

JBS

Reaction score
What I do understand is from what other doctors tell me. And so far, within the past 4 years, everything they have said have always contradicted the Cowboys initial reports only to find out a few weeks later they ended up being right.

I'm just as upset as everyone in this forum; I can't even go back to sleep (was supposed to wake up 3 hrs from now but got a text regarding this injury waking me up). But I also know when to accept reality. Him coming back 10 weeks is the absolute best case scenario which is RARE.

Whats normal recovery time then?

TheFinisher

Reaction score

While I'm not a practicing orthopedic surgeon, I am 3rd year medical student with ortho as my desired field of practice.

And the timeline for high performance athletes with 5th metatarsal jones fractures that require bone graft treatment is indeed 3 months.

Now this report is from Ian Rapport and not the team, but if this was the nature of the surgery then the 10-12 week timeline is accurate. Certainly not the 4-6 that was thrown out there.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When Dez got hurt, I called off work the next day.

Go Cowboys.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Remember what Dez said, don't listen to the craziness. Relax, give it a month, and see what they're saying. I'm sure Dex will be tweeting....fingers crossed.

Last edited:

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
Whats normal recovery time then?

12 weeks. However, a very likely scenario (that I pray doesn't happen) is that we are out of the playoff race at 12 weeks, which means the team deactivates him for the remainder of the season. The Falcons did the same thing.

If you look up the past players that have had this injury, none of them have come back in the timeframe the Cowboys originally indicated. The only straw we are able to grasp is Demarcus Lawrence and being that it's coming from the same team that essentially gives ducktales about injuries the past 4 years, I take it with a grain of salt (allegedly he could have come back week 8 or something like that).

This injury sidelined Kevin Durant a multitude of months.

Honestly, and I know I'm about to catch major flack for this, the only person I could see returning from this injury in the original time frame is Terrell Owens.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
12 weeks. However, a very likely scenario (that I pray doesn't happen) is that we are out of the playoff race at 12 weeks, which means the team deactivates him for the remainder of the season. The Falcons did the same thing.

If you look up the past players that have had this injury, none of them have come back in the timeframe the Cowboys originally indicated. The only straw we are able to grasp is Demarcus Lawrence and being that it's coming from the same team that essentially gives ducktales about injuries the past 4 years, I take it with a grain of salt (allegedly he could have come back week 8 or something like that).

This injury sidelined Kevin Durant a multitude of months.

Durant came back too early and had to have a 2nd surgery.